“Very expensive and historically...” 2 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #13 of 213 things to do in York
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: 75 minutes of on-the-edge entertainment with 9 live shows The York Dungeon is a must-see visitor attraction that brings together an amazing cast of theatrical actors, special effects, 360 degree stages and scenes in an exciting walk through experience where you will hear, touch, smell and feel over 2000 years of history moving from show to show. It's funny, scary and keeps you on the edge until the very end! Discover Guy Fawkes' Gunpowder Plot and what really happened that November night. Come face to face with the most blood-thirsty Vikings of York. Will you crack under the pressure of the Torturer and his intimidating instruments? Step inside Castle Prison and delve into Dick Turpin and his infamous crimes.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
4 attraction reviews
“Very expensive and historically...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Very expensive and historically innacurate. Not as big as the London dungeon but the same experience. Not good for wheelchair users

Northumberland
“Absolutley Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

I visited York Dungeon on the 17th April 2010, just in time for the new Witches:Burned Alive show. I have to say, this was my first time in York, and everything looked amazing. We (a family of 5) booked online 2 weeks earlier, saving 30% on the door price, and also skipping the queue. When we first walked through the door, i wasn't really sure what to expect, but after getting our picture taken, we walked through another door and into darkness. Honestly, i've never been more scared in my life! My dad was even scared - and believe me, he hardly ever gets scared! It's the darkness that gets you, and you're just waiting for something scary to happen. Well, there was a mannequin telling you about the vikings or something (im sorry to say i wasnt taking much notice of it - i was wondering what was going to happen next!) We were told that our time would come.... and sure enough it did.
We were in a group of about 15-20, and were squished into the first room, as nobody really wanted to go to the front. The first room was about the plague that swept accross Britain in the 16th century, along with an actor dressed as the plague doctors assistant. I've never laughed so much in my life! The young actor playing the doctor was hilarious and made us feel a bit calmer and more relaxed about the whole experience. We were then led into an exibit about Guy Fawkes, which i personally felt was a bit out of place, although you can learn a few things you didn't already know!
Other highlights include the Golden Fleece Inn, Labyrinth of the lost, Judgement Of Sinners, Dick Turpin, Torture chamber and of course, Witches:Burned alive. All of these shows are really good. Be prepared to be picked on by the actors, and don't stand at the back - my dad made this mistake and was pulled out by the judge, and then accused of dressing up as a woman and robbing men! My mam had a good laugh at that bit!
There were no kids in our group apart from my 12 year old sister - therefore i think we got the quite funny grown up experience. However, i did see children queuing outside, and the dungeons are a family attraction.
Overall, i had an absolutley amazing time, and i'm going to visit again the next time im in York! My mam and dad both thought this attraction was pretty expensive, even though we did book online, but if you can get your hands on the 2 for 1 vouchers, you will enjoy the experience even more.
I've got to say a big thank you to the actors, as they really make the whole experience come alive - and they're mostly the reason i want to go back again!
I strongly reccomend this attraction - you can't visit York without visiting the Dungeons!

Manchester
4 attraction reviews
“Absolutely class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

Me and my boyfriend visited York dungeons yesterday and it was an amazing experience!! The actors were amazing!!!! I have tried to find a contact email to praise them as I cant praise them enough.

east kilbride
8 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend a couple of hours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

This is a must.
We had such a laugh, the actors were fantastic and very believable.
Highlight was watching my wife being burned at the stake for being a witch, how did they know? lol

Wakefield
“rubbish. £14 per person, and they make you do the work!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Never been before, and wasnt sure what to expect. I did guess there would be exhibits about the horrible history of torture etc, but i didnt realise i would be actually tortured!

There's no clear advice on the price until you say 2 adults please and they butcher your wallet for £28! You go through another door slightly dazed from the financial pludgening expecting to be treat like royalty, only to find some displays. I admit the displays were actually pretty good. There was some interesting reading on the walls and I'd have liked to spend more time looking at the scary models and stuff, but was hurried along by some bloke in drag. Round a dark corner was a group of fellow prisoners, all comforting bruised and battered credit cards.

We then proceeded to be guided round various theatre acts where it was usual for an unwitting customer to be humiliated or abused for everyone elses entertainment. Cal me unconventional, but for the price on the door i would have thought it more appropriate for the actors to do the work. After a pretty boring dick turpin presentation/exhibit, we were forced through a small door into the gift shop where you can part with more hard earned for a rubber or a pencil.

The actors where good, but i'd go to a theatre if i wanted to watch a play. The experience needs to be more defined in advertising, as does the price of entry. I feel i payed for something i didnt want.