“fabulous” 5 of 5 stars

The York Pass
Ranked #2 of 213 things to do in York
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: You'll wonder, "how did they manage to survive?" when visiting this living-history museum, which features everyday life during Victorian and Edwardian England in fine detail.
EDINBURGH
5 attraction reviews
“fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Fell on to this one.Got parked at casle.Children free.Wonderful museum possibly the best I have ever been to.My grand children loved it.What a really nice afternoon we had.Only thing on way out we were about to leave when we noticed that you had to cross the foyer and there was another whole lot of stuff. Don't miss it .Much better value than the Yorvik.
Victorian street beautiful.If chidren doing Vic school project this would be the icing on the cake.ENJOY IT

• Polish first
Herndon, Virginia
“A cultural snapshot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

First time visiting the museum even though have been to York a couple of time. Very much enjoyed the way the museum was laid out and the snapshots of various bits of British culture from the last several hundred years. Even our teenagers enjoyed it.

Edinburgh, Scotland
3 attraction reviews
“Too expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Having visited Clifford's Tower we decided to check out the nearby museum. Sadly, I wish I had saved my money. £7.50 for a student price was a bit hard to stomach (Sure you get to use it to gain access for the whole year - but that depends on you being able to return to York to do so).

The museum is split into two halves. On one side is the Georgian/Victorian section complete with a layout of an old fashioned street, while the other is from the 60's onwards. On the lower level is the dungeons - which is, perhaps, the best part of the museum as it includes projections of the various prisoners. Be wary if you have younger kids though as it may be too scary with all the shouting that these projections do.

The first section primarily consists of old fashioned clothes and furnishings, which is fine if you are into that kind of thing, but is not very engaging if you are not a hardcore fan of the period. As you go along the exhibition it gets slightly better and the civil war area is presented, and displayed, much better.

The second area is again well presented, but there is nothing to interact with and I'm not sure how excited kids would be at getting to see a Nintendo DS behind a glass screen.

Considering that this is simply a larger version of the 'Childhood Museum' in Edinburgh (Which is free) I found it a big let down. I would not advise anyone with kids to go, as they will become very bored, and would only recommend it to you if you were desperate for something to do, and had money to burn, and/or liked old fashioned clothing.

newcastle upon tyne
71 attraction reviews
“boring rude and out of date”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

would prefer to give this a zero, its terrible. the staff havent got a clue and make you feel you are interrupting them, not keeping them in employment. lots to see but who cares about this junk they have stored, oooohhhhh look a computer game from 7 whole years ago, crikey it takes me back.......!

terrible place

i sent an email to complain, we went just before christmas to see santa with my 3 year old, paid 6 pounds, and waited half an hour, whilst santa flirted with an american student helper, completely ignoring us and avoiding eye contact. i asked a number of staff to step in and encourage santa to see my daughter, but they just shrugged their shoulders, the woman at the till didnt even know how to refund us our santa money! the response to my email was that they would compenstae me by upgrading my ticket to an annual pass, the same deal every customer gets who visits, i emailed back and was ignored

clueless staff from top to bottom AVOID

Cumbria
“excellent value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

great way to fill time especially if raining - clearly laid out so you see everything - loved the fifties living room just like my gran and grandads - most definitely worth the entry fees