“hidden treasure indeed” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Spanish, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Situated right in the centre of York on one of York's oldest snickleways this chic and stylish cafe-restaurant resides in a grade 2 listed Victorian building.The building is classically double fronted and from the front door you are lead into a a modern minimalist space which has 34 covers and features stylish tulip tables with deceptively comfortable panton chairs. During the day the restaurant is light, bright and airy and in the evening is candlelit for more intimate dining.
York, United Kingdom
“hidden treasure indeed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

As I live in York I often have the chance to sample one the many cafes there. In the last year I have found my self returning to de'Clare several times, most times for a coffee half-way through a strenuous shopping trip! I have taken both my 20 something children for a catch up breakfast when they are back in York, went for scones and tea with my husband on a Sunday afternoon and I must own up to a couple of solitary yet soothing lunches there: the homemade soups are different and delicious. Off the beaten track yet central, de'Clare is welcoming despite its stark, contemporary interior (white trendy tables and chairs, pale grey walls). I normally would prefer somewhere with rustic character but, actually, I find this bright and airy place quite restful. It never feels cramped, the tables are round and large and in fact, it oozes character: Whether you want a drink, a snack or a meal the menu is succinct but appealing and it does not pretend to be everything to everyone!
Lately there has been a growing Spanish / tapas feel to the place but what first attracted me to what is initially a non-nondescript space in a forgotten street was the window. .beautiful and inviting homemade whole cakes and gigantic meringues sitting on random piles of random cookery books. . just loved that and missed that window shopping element yesterday when I popped in for a yummy coffee. I look forward to tasting the evening fare at de'Clare!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington, United Kingdom
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Great atmosphere, really helpful staff, amazing food and the best cup of tea in York. We visit york often and this will be a regular stop for us.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Great dinner followed by good lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Anyone who hasn't explored this spot in York has missed a treat. Attracted by the description in the 'Good Food Guide' we enjoyed dinner so much we went back for lunch the next day!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, friendly staff and outstanding value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

What a great surprise, we had a mix of dishes, all freshly prepared and served "tapas style". We had everything from lightly spiced prawns, chicken on skewers, roast peppers, nicely flavoured potatoes. I'm going back to try some of the mains next time as they also smelt and looked fantastic on the table next to us. The place is tucked down a side street so easy to miss but well worth looking out for. Even better, the bill was much lower than I expected!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
York, United Kingdom
“Yorks best kept secret-tempted to keep it that way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We went for an on the spur of the moment lunch. Tucked into some of the best tapas we have ever eaten outside spain, washed down with ice cold fino! Service was pleasant attentive but never intrusive. Can't understand why this place isnot better known, although we were tempted to keep it to ourselves

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere