“Brilliant” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #232 of 716 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Reservations
Description: With two AA Rosettes to its name, The Piano Bar and Restaurant available for dinner every night and open Sunday lunch, set within the beautiful Churchill Hotel just moments from the city walls, is undoubtedly one of York's finest. Overlooking the manicured lawns of the hotel, The Piano Restaurant is elegantly modern, its interior design utterly contemporary but without ignoring the splendid proportions and original features of the room's high arched windows, a curving floor and delicate coving just some of the Victorian features. Begin your visit with a relaxed tipple in the bar, a warmly cosy space with a slightly masculine feel worthy of the hotel's namesake, before taking a seat in the brighter, more spacey dining room. Here you'll enjoy that AA acclaimed food with its fresh,locally and ethically sourced ingredients and constantly changing seasonal flavour. Imaginative and but with a nod to traditionalism, The Piano Restaurant's cuisine is created through the use of cutting edge techniques employed by the kitchen's talented and well trained chefs. Enjoyed to the delicate strains of the baby grand that gives the restaurant its name, the food is as sublime as the setting.
Boston, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Excellent food and service, lovely setting. Piano is not played by anyone, it's a recording unfortunately!

Visited September 2013
Ben A, Head Chef at The Piano Restaurant, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and for taking the time to leave it.
I am glad that you enjoyed the food so much and I will pass on your comments regarding service to our food and beverage manager.
I am sorry to hear that on this occasion there was no live music, I hope that we can welcome you back in the future when there is a pianist available or perhaps to one of our monthly jazz nights.
Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
York, United Kingdom
“Outstanding dining in York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Living in a village close to York we eat in the city fairly frequently and over many years have eaten at lots of the cities restaurants. The Piano Restaurant was recommended by friends and as we had never eaten there lunch was booked for last Sunday. What have we missed for all these years! As other reviewers have written, the whole experience was excellent, staff, ambience and especially the food. Good choice of menu and all three courses could not be faulted. There were four of us dining and each of us raved over the whole meal. Bread with olives and olive oil with balsamic to begin was gratis as were tea or coffee at the end of the meal. Meats excellently cooked as were the seven vegetables that included both roast and new potatoes. All courses were very well presented and in ample portions. Repeating myself, all of the staff could not have been more friendly or efficient. We will definitely return for an evening meal and I am sure that it will be put down as a fairly regular dining place. Try it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us so much as many people have different views on how it should be.
I look forward to welcoming you back to sample our evening a la carte menu and hope we can once again exceed your expectations.
Thanks again
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
“Delightful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had dinner here on the 25th August to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. The food was divine and beautifully presented and the service was excellent. My only criticism is that the table was very small and we felt a bit hemmed in.
I was hoping there would be a pianist playing the grand piano but alas it was just taped but still a nice ambience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We as a hotel were very glad that we could welcome you back after your wedding with us. I am delighted that you once again enjoyed your food.
I am sorry that there was no live pianist on this occasion, this is due to the fact we book the pianist based on the amount of diners we have and his availability. I can only assume that on this night we were particularly quiet or he was unavailable.
Unfortunately as we are situated in a old building room size can be an issue however we like to think the slightly smaller tables create a more intimate and romantic setting.
I hope we can welcome you back again and thank you for your kind review.
Coventry
“one word - superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband surprised me with a booking in this place and I was most impressed! The service is second to none, the ambience fantastic. The food presentation was outstanding and I'm almost out of superlatives. The steak was one of the most tender we have ever had the pleasure to eat, the vegetables cooked to perfection. It is on the more expensive side (well over £100 for two) but well worth it, quality does not come cheaply. We highly recommend this restaurant for the quality and service and should we be staying in York again, we will definitely dine in this restaurant again and indeed stay in the hotel. Thank you to everyone who made it a very memorable evening for us :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ben A, Head Chef at The Piano Restaurant, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time the time to leave us a review, especially such a glowing one as this. I have passed on your comments regarding the service and ambience to our food and beverage manager, whom also wishes to thank you for your kind words. It is a pleasure to cook for guests who recognise the quality of produce and amount of hard work that goes into your dining experience and who appreciate this does come with its costs. I am delighted that you intend to dine with us again and look forward to welcoming you back for another experience that I hope will exceed your first.
Many thanks again, Ben
New York City, New York
“First Rate York dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We found the ambiance, staff and food to be simply first rate. We mixed several of the daily specials (Dover Sole and Pea Soup) with standards from the menu (Smoked Salmon, Sticky Toffee, and the cheese board) and received a extremely pleasant and enjoyable meal. There was a clear sense of absolutely fresh local ingredients given thoughtful attention.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ben A, Head Chef at The Piano Restaurant, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and I shall pass on your comments to the other staff. Local fresh produce is something we passionately believe in and I am pleased this shows.
We hope to welcome you back to dine with us again sometime.