“Fantastic break, lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #23 of 45 hotels in York
“Fantastic break, lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and myself stayed at the marriott for a long weekend as part of a Christmas present. All I can say is, it was the best hotel I've been in by far. Where to start?!

First off, the staff were amazing and always polite. Never made to feel like we were 'too common' or too young do be in such a hotel (like some have done, were 24) the rooms are very clean and well looked after. We loved the fact they had an ironing board and not just an iron and the beds are absolute heaven, they were that big I couldn't find my other half in the bed during the night. We only wish we'd stayed a little bit longer because we didn't get to do all the things we would if liked like the swimming pool and spa.

The breakfast was lovely, freshly cooked and forever kept piping hot. And the restaurant in the hotel was just as lovely.

The only slight issue we had was when we arrived at 4pm we requested for the 2 singles beds to be made into a double, we were totally fine if this want possible but we were told it would be no bother. We waited until 8pm (with repetitive trips to reception) to get this done and all they did was zip up the middle. If we had known thats all that needed to be done we wouldn't have bothered bugging the poor girls on reception (our own fault) But despite that, it was a fantastic stay and would forever recommend it.

We are already looking at days in which we can come back sometime soon and this time with my 3yr old daughter in tow. Fabulous hotel and can't wait to visit again.
Thank you so much!

• Stayed February 2014
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at Marriott York Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Katfmadden
Thank you so very much for such a fantastic review. I really am very grateful that you have taken the time to provide me with this feedback. It will be a delight to read out your comments in our daily meeting today and thank my team for taking such good care of you. I will look into your comments regarding the time it took for the beds to be changed as this should not be the case.
Please do let me know once you have booked to stay again so I can introduce myself in person and ensure we take extra special care of you.
Thank you once again.

921 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three in mid November 2013. Arrived about 1pm, a bit early for book in, however this was no problem. Room was ready and staff we're very helpful. Stayed first floor, lovely room. Bed was over 6ft wide! Great sleep. Good to have small fridge in the room. View over parkland/racecourse. Had bar lunch with friends which was well presented and good quality.

A half hour walk to the city centre which was perfect for exploring.
I would stay here again, could have done with a few extra nights on my stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Davidt8271
Many thanks for your kind words. I will be sure to review your feedback with my team today. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Southport UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stay at the hotel every January for 2 nights and love it. Great location. We walk into York so no parking costs. Breakfast is fantastic served 6.30 til 11 am. The rooms are spacious with everything you need. The hotel is clean and the staff are helpful and polite. York itself has so much to offer from historic trips, ghost walks to retail therapy. We love this trip and can't wait for 2015.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Corias
Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to post this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your time in York so much. We certainly are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful city.
Please do contact me when you are looking to return next year so I can be sure to introduce myself in person and thank you for all your loyal custom.
Mark Leyland
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed here to celebrate my birthday, and as a special treat we decided to book the penthouse suite. For the price, I would definitely book it again and would highly recommend it for anyone else wanting to book.

The room itself was huge, very clean and had everything you could have wanted (the only thing we think would have finished it off perfectly is a larger flat screen TV). The bed was super comfy and huge! I even tried to kick my fella to stop him snoring and I couldn't find him he was that far away lol. The room was warm and the air con/heating worked perfectly. The bathroom had twin sinks, a bath with shower over and a large shower cubicle.

We had our evening meal in the room, along with our breakfast. Both were served in a timely manner, hot, tasty, by friendly staff. We didn't order drinks, as we went to the Tesco's across the road and brought our own in for a fraction of the price.

We did make use of the pool, jacuzzi and steam room. As it was a Saturday night we were staying, the pool was full of children most of the day and evening so we opted for a later visit and were there from about 9.15pm to 11pm when it closed. It was very quiet at this time and the jacuzzi was just heavenly, if we could have had waiter bar service we'd have stayed there all night!!

Location wise this was not an issue for us, it isn't in the town centre, but about a 5 minute drive (if that)

The staff on reception were super friendly and helpful and were more than happy to recommend places to visit.

I had a super birthday and came back from my weekend at the Marriott feeling refreshed and revived and totally washed away the January blues. I would certainly return. Thank you

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and book the penthouse suite
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at Marriott York Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear GillE

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I am truly delighted we were able to take such good care of you. We hold a daily meeting here at the hotel with a representative from each department in which we all review any guest feedback we have received. It will be a pleasure to read out your kind words and thank my team for helping to make your Birthday special.
Great tip about the flat screen TVs and I will look into this asap.
Please do contact me personally should you be returning so I can make sure your next stay with us is even better!
Mark Leyland
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

In all the hotel had everything we wanted and the staff are friendly although we had some of the same issues that others have reported before on TripAdvisor.

Standing charge of £100.00 without being told the reason why and was made to feel uncomfortable by being told we hadn't paid for breakfast in our package, luckily l had the email on my phone then when checking out we got charged for breakfast although l was given a refund straightaway without any sorry or dispute from the staff.

This l feel is a watchout for others as this seems to be a trend and would be the only reason l wouldn't use the hotel again as being left with a bad taste in my mouth as was a Christmas present for my wife.

Alan & Janine

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at Marriott York Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear AlanC
Thank you for your review and loyal custom.
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words on the friendliness of my team.
With regards to the billing issues you mentioned please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction this caused. The charge you mention of £100.00 is broken down as £50.00 per night which is authorised on your credit card to enable you to charge items from the bar, restaurant, leisure club etc to your bedroom account. This is an authorisation only and no charges are made until you check out. I am very sorry that this was not explained clearly on check in.
The issue you mention with breakfasts not being included in your rate is linked with the travel agent you booked your stay through – Booking.com. We are working with them right now to resolve this and I am very sorry for the confusion caused.
Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and I do hope we can look forward to welcome you back in the future.
leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed for one night so for what we wanted the hotel was just fine, let's be honest you don't go to York and stay in your room. We found a hotel in need of a face lift, our bed was uncomfortable and the room had a funny foist/smokey smell which we thought was coming from the vent system. All in all we enjoyed our our mini break however next time we would look at alternative hotels as paying the extra for a so called premium brand hotel is simply not worth it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at Marriott York Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Marksal07
Many thanks for your feedback. I am very sorry for the issues you faced and thank for your drawing this to my attention. We pride ourselves on the comfortableness of our beds so I will be sure to investigate your concerns with my Property Manager today to ensure this is fully resolved.
Thank you once again for your comments.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We were reall only transiting on our way from Scotland to London. But this is a typically good Marriott chain hotel. The hotel was modern and decent sized rooms.

I only wish they could have done something to improve the weather!!!!

Try the Fox and Roman pub just walking distance down the road for a good feed.

Room Tip: My room was ok.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkLeylandGM, General Manager at Marriott York Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Johnnie 1948
Many thanks for your kind words. I only wish the weather could have been better for your time in York!
I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels, have a safe trip home and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Mark

Been to Marriott York Hotel? Share your experiences!