“Sort your heating out!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in York
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Sort your heating out!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have been staying at this Marriott for years and i was unimpressed this week. Despite being a "frequent and valued customer" (according to my welcome letter from the GM) I was in a smallish room with the smallest bathroom I have ever seen - smaller even than central London hotels. The room was freezing, and after I cranked the new wall settings to max I realised the room was not getting any warmer. I Checked and it was blowing out cold air. Found a small radiator which took foreve pr to heat the room up. The second night I asked them to bring an extra duvet as I had been so cold on the first. I had to call for it twice and it eventually arrived with a duvet cover for me to put on!

Room service on the first night was an absolutely dreadful burger and undercooked chips. Ate half and gave up.

The first morning I had someone hammering n my door just after 7 asking If I was with the tour. If I hadn't already been awake I would have been really annoyed about this. How hard is it to keep a list of which rooms the tour guests are in?

Breakfast is fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Polish first
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in hotel as this was venue for a wedding, they did a great job for the wedding, food was fabulous, disco great sound and staff were superb. We used the pool and again very friendly staff.

We took an upgrade for our room, which sounded great, but it was on ground floor and no heating! - with -3c outside, not great.

The hotel credited the upgrade.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I spent a weekend with my Husband at this hotel in March. The staff were all exceptionally friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was large with 6ft very comfy bed. Bathroom was a little tired looking and they had run out of shower gel which was annoying as I didn't take any! Food in restaurant was very good. Will definitely go back.Easy to walk to Town centre or hop on any bus.

Room Tip: Our room was on first floor and very quiet
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for myself & a friend, who I wanted to treat for a spa day. We were happy to find it only a short taxi ride from the station & were welcomed by friendly staff at reception. We were slightly early to check in, however we sat & had drinks & snacks in the lovely conservatory overlooking the race course. Drinks, I felt were overpriced, however. The waiter did try to charge me twice for this, but that was a genuine mistake - he had forgotten I had paid cash at the bar & then handed me another bill at the end! He apologised for his mistake. Our room was luxurious, with a double bed each! And I must say the comfiest bed I've ever slept in. The bathroom was fine, clean & modern. The leisure facilities were ok. The sauna was set too hot nobody could use it but the pool & steam room were fine. Our massages were booked an hour apart, there wasnt a very relaxing atmosphere in the spa, it was clear there was one girl working alone & lacked enthusiasm during our treatments. The massage was poor if I'm honest. Breakfast was average, lots of items omitted & no bread for toast, had to ask for butter. Waitress said a full English breakfast would need to be specially made, almost making me feel that was a burden - even though we had paid for it. On the whole, a very pleasant stay, pricey but pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013
Pontefract, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

A Works weekend away which proved to be most enjoyable. Comfy beds and pillows. clean rooms. We expected the pool and lounging area to be a little larger than it actually was but this was at no detriment to the weekend. I recommend that any spa treatments be booked in advance as we could not book any on the Saturday or the Sunday....they were fully booked..it must have been the reasonable prices on offer. Although the Hotel states City Centre, it cost £10 for the taxi ride into the centre. Breakfast was most enjoyable and the 12pm vacation of rooms made it an even more pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: 3 Double rooms booked ..40 42 ( can't remember the third) in the new build. These were all on th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Lovely hotel, friendly helpful staff. We requested a room change as the 1st room was opposite a lift and quite dark. We were move to a room on ground level which was lovely - spacious bright and a large bathroom. Leisure facilties were good but pool should have been more supervised as young children throwing balls and jumping off side (under notice telling them not to!) but made enjoying relaxing swim and spa tricky. Good breakfast with lovely fresh fruit. Would recommend.

Workington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We enjoyed a 2 night stay at this hotel, our second visit. The rooms and hotel are very well kept and we were accommodated by being able to check in early.
Even though a wedding was in full swing on our second day there was little noise and we both slept very well.
It is a little outside York but it is a lovely walk in on a nice day and buses stop outside regularly.
We would have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott York Hotel? Share your experiences!