“First Visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 213 York B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“First Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We decided to visit the National Railway Museum in York and of course the weekend we picked was also one of the summer race meetings. We were very lucky to get a room from Karen at the Acer and must admit this was one of our better decisions when we accepted the room.

Whilst it is not actually in the city centre - it is ideally positioned being only a 10-15 minute walk from the main area. It is situated in a very quiet pleasant street.

The room was absolutely spotless and very tastefully decorated. Everything you would need was provided and I believe that Karen is most fastidious with everything she does. The bed was extremely comfortable and the en suite facilities ideal.

There was an excellent choice for breakfast and if you give Karen a note of what you would like the night before she has it all ready for you when you go for breakfast.

I had the waffles (freshly homemade) and bacon whilst my husband had the kippers - it was delicious. Karen then provided toast and I am sure that some of the bread was home made. More tea and coffee available when required.

Karen made us very welcome and this was a really pleasant stay in a very comfortable guest house.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6 but I should imagine that no matter what room you were given it would be of the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ACERYork, Owner at Acer Guest House, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
A quiet pleasant street (with plentiful FREE parking) even during horse racing; what an accolade!

Another big thumbs up for our award winning breakfasts but...I don't make the waffles or bake the bread (and have never made any claim whatsoever, anywhere, that I do). This is perhaps the only reason The Acer has not been named Guest House of the Year in York in recent years. The panel of judges are only interested in assessing guest houses using local suppliers and home baking. I use great (expensive) ingredients, supplied by our fantastic (local) Waitrose home delivery team, and I am a great cook. There you go - though I never kept it a secret I've committed my purchasing policy (and lack of home baking) in writing to the pages of Trip Advisor for all to see!

I am so pleased to read your lovely comments on the en suite - so often reviewed as small - and it's reassuring that you found The Acer so comfortable.

Karen.

P.S. Re: Room Tip: All of the rooms here are of the same great quality (all recently refurbished) alhough they do vary in size.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My partner and I were visiting York for 48 hours (his first trip, my first time back in 8 years after studying at the university), and from the moment we contacted Karen by email to book our room, we knew we were in for a treat.

The house is conveniently situated a nice ten minute walk from the city center, just outside the medieval walls. Your walk takes you through a park and down a public footpath. Thus your room will be nice and quiet and relaxing, but so close to the action. It was spotless and very well appointed. The bathroom was converted from a closet, and was extremely tight by American standards. I also never mastered the temperature, going back and forth from extremely cold water to extremely hot water; but it was fine. We also never quite mastered the British toilets during our trip; they never seemed to flush simply. This was definitely us, and not a feature of the accommodation: but, be aware, Americans! By UK standards, the room and bathroom were luxurious, and this B&B is a ridiculously good value.

The breakfast was generous and delicious, served in a cozy dining room. Karen was helpful throughout our stay, with a parking permit for the street, directions to the nearby York Brewery, etc. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel or B&B, too! Our large window looked out over the back garden and a quiet alley, and we really enjoyed sitting on the bed and watching the sun set (at 10:30pm!).

I would definitely recommend the Acer Guest House to anyone looking for a convenient, immaculately clean, friendly, and comfortable B&B in York.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ACERYork, Owner at Acer Guest House, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
I am so pleased that you found The Acer to be such a treat from begining to end!

I did not know that you couldn't work showers or flush toilets until I read this review. Had you asked I would have willingly provided a free lesson in both. A correction of fact; the bathrooms are not converted closets. They are all purpose built at The Acer. However, space is at a premium in Victorian town houses so some of ours are compact. Ask me when booking if you'd like a room with a larger bathroom.

"Americans" - travel is exciting and the big, wide world is not all just like home.This is part of the fun and the joy of visiting other countries. If you want to stay in a traditional British home, located in a Victorian town house built in 1900 it is, I would contend, silly to expect the facilities of a purpose built Hilton.

Thank you for your wholehearted recommendation of The Acer!

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and although located just a 15 minute walk from the city centre, the B & B was situated in a very quiet area.
We stayed in room 3 and the four poster bed was very comfortable. Tea making facilities were in the room, replenished every morning. The bathroom was spotless.
Breakfast was delicious. There was a wide choice, it was freshly cooked (we had the cooked breakfast) and it was piping hot. There was plenty of cereal, juice tea and coffee available also.
I have already recommended this to family and friends and one is trying to book for the end of the month.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ACERYork, Owner at Acer Guest House, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
As you say The Acer is ideally located being close to the city yet on a quiet residential street and...we have FREE parking (Free WiFi and Free cycle store too).

Thank you for your vote of approval for our award winning breakfasts!

Wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I really could not fault this guest house. We loved the location and enjoyed the 15 minute walk to the city centre. Breakfast was first class with a wide and varied selection. I personally would recommend trying the porridge and the vegetarian breakfast.

We love York and will definitely be going back to the Acer Guest House for our next visit.

Highly recommended. Well done Karen!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ACERYork, Owner at Acer Guest House, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you so much for this really lovely review.

Reviews can make the difference for an hotelier between having a great day (good reviews) or a heart stoppingly terrible day (not so good reviews). I am a firm believer that if something is wrong in a hotel or restaurant get it sorted at the time. Give the staff the opportunity to put it right (and apologise); that way everyone has a much better experience most of the time. In my opinion venting anger in public should be reserved for those times when it all goes pear shaped and no one is prepared to sort it out.

Lecture over! I read this review and it's going to be a glorious day here at The Acer. Thank you for putting a huge smile on my face.

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed there for one night as part of a business trip to York. The location of the hotel is great. The rooms have clearly been refurbished and look wonderful. Karen is taking care of everything and makes sure you have a nice stay. I would definitely go back and would also recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ACERYork, Owner at Acer Guest House, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
It would be a pleasure having you to stay again next time you are in York on business (or on holiday!).

Although The Acer is a B&B rather than an hotel and it can represent great value for money for the business traveller:

FREE WiFi throughout the house.
FREE parking always available, including on the day of check out.
Flexible check in and breakfast times.
Single occupancy rates.
Guests are given keys so that they may come and go as they please.
Receipts are ALWAYS provided.
Quiet residential street only minutes walk from the city.

Thank you very much for the wholeheated recommendation from a business traveller, Karen.
Crewe, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Nice guest house in middle of residential street. Near enough to City centre for a 15 min walk. Via a Wetherspoins pub (steak night was brill !) Very quiet location. We stayed in room 5 as previously mentioned. Small. But in actual fact was fine. Nice view and very quiet. Breakfast was well organised. And lovely. We liked the little personal touches. (Sweets. Posh coffee in room / waterbottle / fan / tv dvd player in room) would come back here again. As York fantastic

• Stayed June 2013
ACERYork, Owner at Acer Guest House, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thanks.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed at the acer for 3 nights and it was a lovely experience, we had no complaints what so ever, Karen the owner of the guest house was so lovely and extremely helpful, she keeps a very clean and tidy guesthouse which made the stay very comfortable indeed. The breakfast was absolutely great with a very wide range to choice from. We only had about ten min walk to city and didnt have to use the car once. I would highly recommend the Acer to any one who is to York. Every day we was there our room had clean cups and the bed was made for us and we had fresh towels you couldnt wish for more. Our room was the four poster and can honestly say that if we visit York again the Acer will be where we will stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ACERYork, Owner at Acer Guest House, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Your review put a huge grin on my face all day. Thank you very much indeed.

Karen.

Been to Acer Guest House? Share your experiences!