“Save yourselves!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 45 hotels in York
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Save yourselves!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I am currently in the hotel and if I could leave now, I would. As it is, it is nearly midnight and I have already moved rooms once. The first room came with added extras such as matted hair on the carpet, pubic hairs on the bathroom floor and cobwebs a good four or five inches long on the curtains. Not to mention an air conditioning unit that doesn't work. A particular delight when it's been close to 30 degrees all day. A thoughtful extra was the sink that wouldn't go down and the generous sprinkling of dust on the teacups. Upon complaining we were moved to another room on a lower floor. On first appearances this seemed like a much nicer room. Although anything would seem nicer following a walk along the corridors that time forgot; maybe they had to pay extra to pump in the old lady smell... Tired from all the moving, I was heartened to find I'd been left a gift on my pillow. Not a chocolate though - dried blood. Far fewer calories I suppose... Although I should really look on the bright side. Not only does the air conditioning in this room work, but they've kindly added extra ventilation to the sheets in the form of a giant rip. It's touches like these that really make a birthday trip away special. Do yourselves a favour and find somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed July 2013
-Helen-Eades-, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Following our recent conversation I hope that I have addressed the issues you mentioned to your satisfaction. If I can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me again directly at the hotel.

957 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Westgate-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Good value for money. Stayed for 2 nights so convenient for York centre just a ten minute stroll nice not to have to drive . Rooms in the front good size ,comfy beds nice en suite facilities and when the windows are closed no noise at all. Very friendly staff on reception ,in the bar and in the restaurant at breakfast time . Free WI-FI but not in room which is a pain only in the public areas . Breakfast eat what you like self service good selection we had a real good deal £55.0 for 2 nights including breakfast. Only moan is very limited parking. We couldn't get in the car park but just pass the hotel on left you can leave your car in the road free of charge for as long as you want . Not many roads like this in York . What surprised me though was at least 5 cars in the car park belonging to staff they had notices in car windows saying staff car if inway contact reception . With very limited parking i don't think staff should be allowed to park in the hotel small car park .

Room Tip: Front rooms better view than rear which overlook chimneys .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving your review.

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We are currently undergoing upgrades in our Wi-Fi at the hotel, which will result if Wi-Fi being available in all our rooms, so I'm sure that should you choose to stay with us in the future you should see an improvement.

I am dissapointed to hear that you did not find a space in our car park, should you have mentioned that you had seen staff cars in our car park we would of course moved them immediatly as guest satisfaction is our number one priority.
Chatham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed here for 2 night while I was in York from The Mallard 75 celebrations and I couldn't be more comfortable here. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the food was excellent especially the Full English breakfast and their 'Authentic Curry of the Day' was out of this would.

Room Tip: About 10 minutes or less walk from Town center and train station
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us when visiting the city to see the Mallard celebrations.

Thank you also for such positive comments regarding the team and our F&B department.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

What a little Diamond this place is ! Ok, the rooms aren't massive but who wants to stay in your room when you're visiting York ?
Perfectly located for the centre, station and racecourse. Really comfy bed, shower you could stay in for hours; great staff, fantastic breakfast.
6 of us stayed ( not in the same room of course ! ) and we all agreed we'll be back next year....highly recommended !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such a positive review regarding your recent stay at ibis York.

I am pleased to see that yourself and your party enjoyed your recent stay. I agree with your comment regarding the room size, when you are in such a beautiful city you would want to spend as much time in the city rather than your room.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future, and please feel free to contact the hotel directly where we can offer the best available rate.
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed for one night and arrvied about 5pm could not park and was told to park around the corner in a sainsbury car park.. after driving around and around could not find the car park so went back and then was told it was just a car park around the corner from a small sainsburys extra store,, hard to find. £7.50 per day !!!! Single room was small , small bed. no bath just shower room which was tiny. Very noisy room on the 3rd floor. Did not feel welcome by receptionist.. it had been raining hard and i was cold and wet and she was very moody and short. Would not stay again !!! Room 310

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for leaving your feedback.

I can sympathise with being in a strange city and not being able to find parking. The NCP carpark which is just 3 minutes away from the hotel is the carpark that we recommend to all guests when our carpark is full. The majority of guests usually find this with no real issues, so I am sorry that on this occasion it took you longer.

When purchasing our single room at the discounted price, it states that you will have a standard single bed, I'm sorry if this fact was not clear at the time of booking. The vast majority of our rooms have standard shower cubicals, but should you wish to stay in the future please feel free to contact the hotel directly in order for the team to allocate a room with a bath, unfortunately these rooms would be at the standard price rather than the discounted price you paid on this occasion.

I will investigate your comments regarding one of my team who was 'moody and short'. I am however surprised to hear this as the lady in question has worked for the company for over 2 years and out of the whole team she recieves the most positive feedback.

I would hope that you could visit us in the future in order to have a genuine hassle free stay.
northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have stayed here at least once a month for the last 2 years and thought it about time I reviewed it! The Ibis is in a great location, just outside the Micklegate Bar and an easy stroll into the centre. It has free parking but space is limited so get there early on busy days. This is a budget hotel so don't expect the Ritz but it is great value for money. There can be some noise from parties especially on race day but most places are similarly affected. The rooms are large and clean and the beds all have memory mattresses. Breakfasts are good quality and the place has a nice relaxed atmosphere. Best of all are the staff, they are all so helpful, especially Helen the manager who is professional, personable and extremely efficient. For the price, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a positive review. I am always pleased to welcome back repeat guests, I guess we must being doing something right!

I look forward to catching up during your next stay.

Been to Ibis York Centre? Share your experiences!