“Positive” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 45 Hotels in York
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Positive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I was a solo traveller and I found the hotel good value. The staff were very efficient and helpful. It is very close to the local railwway station just a 8 minutes walk. I can appreciate that the hotel was flood damage recently but the service I received was good, Two very good breakfasts but had a very poor dinner in the hotel on the night of the 11th October and I was pleased by the action of the duty manager on my complaint. I would recommend this hotel for a visit

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Helen E, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your kind review.

I will pass on your comments to the Food & Beverage team.

I again apologise for the problems you experience during your evening meal and I thank you for your understanding while speaking to me after your meal.

Please be assured that the repairs will be starting very shortly in the restaurant area and I'm sure your next visit to us will be a pleasant one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hotel is around a 15 minute work from the city center so is in a decent location. The staff are very friendly and let us check in around 2pm. The bar is lovely and there are plenty of bars around the hotel.

The only down side to this hotel is the side of the rooms. They are very small and the decor seems to be very outdated. The carpets need chnaged, the bathrooms need a new lick of paint and the floors creak like crazy! I would recommend this hotel for a couple of nights stay at best but is not suitable to stay for a long period of time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving your review.

I'm happy that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.

I will bring up the points you raised regarding your room to the relivent departments.

If you choose to stay with us in the future please feel free to contact me directly, because we do have family sized rooms which are larger than a standard double/twin room which may suit you better.
Dunstable, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had a recent busines trip and needed a hotel for 1 night. Attempting to book via hotel.com was difficult due to a technical issue and so, at 10pm the night before leving home ,I phoned the Ibis to check out availability. I got through to a night porter by the name of Michael....IBIS...he is a star!!! He could not have been more helpful and polite, understanding that I could not book it as I neded to go through hotel world...he offered to save a room and went out of his way to ensure I would not have a wasted journey! There is work to be done at this hotel, the lobby and lounge areas are smart and welcoming (poor people were flooded out recently and so work is still in progress)...I must admit the room I was in definately needs a complete revamp...but they know this and are working at it. Food is good, location is great and, most importantly of all, it is the staff that are the shining stars: I will return here as York is beautiful and we fancy a weekend break before Christmas...and our repeat custom will be down to the staff: well done Ibis York!

Room Tip: If possible, as k for a newer room, though mine was fine, just a little tired!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Helen E, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Your kind words will be an encouragement to all my team especially Michael, whom it sounds went above and beyond.

I do remember speaking to you on departure from the hotel and passed on your thanks to Michael.

Thank you for your understanding regarding the recent leak we had in the restaurant area and we are working along side our insurance company to have the restaurant area up and running as soon as possible.

Sould you wish to book for a break before christmas can I advise you that you will always find the cheapest rates on the Accor website or by contacting the hotel directly.
Cardiff, South Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

A short 15 minute walk from the station this hotel is a series of oddities

The staff on arrival are friendly and efficient and the reception is modern looking
Step out of the lift on the 3rd floor and you seem to go back a decade in terms of decor.
Step in to your room and you seem to have mixture of styles as if they have done a refurb and had a particular budget in mind
The bathroom is modem and well appointed but the bedroom is dated. The artexed ceilings and walls are a throw back to an earlier time!

If you sleep on the road side be prepared for traffic noise that seems to go on for most of the night and starts early in the morning

On the plus side it is good value and is about 20 minutes from the city centre

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for you review of Ibis York.

I'm pleased to hear that your needs were met with the location of the hotel.

I will take onboard your comments regarding the rooms and corridors for when our next refurbishment is due.

I would like to take this oppertunity to welcome you back to Ibis York in the future.
Colne, England, United Kingdom
1,223 helpful votes 1,223 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from two nights at the York Ibis, our second stay there. It is in a great location for seeing the sights, Micklegzte Bar less than 5 minutes walk.
Very quick and pleasant check-in, reception staff always cheery as you walk past.
Room and en-suite spotless, plenty of hot water, towels pristine and soft.
Vey comfy bed.
Great breakfast choice, cooked items replenished constantly, no items left to dry up on the hot plate. I have stayed in one of York's most prestigious hotels, in my opinion the breakfast at the Ibis is superior in quality.
Wonderful advantage of free off road parking.
We will definatly return when we visit York again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay.

I will pass your kind words onto my team who I'm sure will be as pleased to hear as much as I was that you enjoyed your recent stay.

I am happy to hear that you found the location of the hotel suited your needs.

I'm also very pleased to hear you feedback regarding the rooms, breakfast and reception team.

I look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay at Ibis York.
Romford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Very dog friendly. Free parking. The staff are wonderfully helpfull, polite, and pleasent ( a major credit to Ibis) . The room was lovely and large (all be a little dated in colour scheme) and very clean. The shower was fantastic. Food great. We were made very welcome. They did have a small section of the dinning area closed due to the flooding, but this did not interfere with the stay at all. Will definatly be staying here again in the future!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Helen E, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis York Centre, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind review.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and i will pass on your kind words to my team.

Please let me take this oppertunity to welcome you back to Ibis York in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

It was discusting!
I stayed here in october for my birthday as i love york but would never stay here again!
Carpark - Stupidly small, tried to squeeze in to many places! Ended up scratching car!
Reception - Dont let the cleanliness & moderness fool you. Two young dipsy and sarcastic blondes holding reception. Really rude to be honest.
Room - oldy worldy, wasnt hoovered, hard bed, carpet had no lining under, window wouldnt open, tv broke, smelling fusty, teenagers partying in the next room also smoking, complained they did nothing young girl said "well it is friday"!
Bathroom - mucky, could wash your hands, get showered and use the toilet at the same time it was that small! Towels had yellow stains also hard!
When i finally got to sleep, breakfast was rotten! Was hard and taste as though been left a while, mucky fork.

There was more but going into to much im sure this is enough for you not to stay here! Please dont waste your money, soend that bit extra for somewhere actually in York, ibis is that far awY from the town its a 30 min walk down a steep hill which you walk up after!

DONT STAY HERE

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Due to the date of your stay, November 2011, I am unable to investigate with my team the comments that you have stated.

With regrds to the hard beds, I would like to mention that we have listened to guest feedback and as a company we have changed all our beds worldwide to memory foam matresses, for which we are getting very positive feedback.

We have employed a new head housekeeper and Food & Beverage team leader, so both departments have seen vast improvements.

I would like to take this oppertunity to welcome you back to Ibis York in the future to witness for yourself the improvements that we have put in place and also experience our new beds.

Been to Ibis York Centre? Share your experiences!