“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 45 Hotels in York
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Visited here for a weekend after new year. Great location. Breakfast very good. Parking underneath the hotel with very helpful vallets. Booked delux room which had fantastic views of Clifford tower but none of the other extras: bathrooms, wine. Staff not too helpful when we enquired about them!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear CatherineF2012,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our great Hilton Breakfast and found our Concierge team most helpful. I will be sharing you comments with them.

I was concerned to note that you did not receive the extras that come with the Deluxe room and I will be passing your comments on to the Front Office Manager and Resturant Manager who are responsible for the delivery of the extras.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Martin Bradnam
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

This say was a present from my Aunty. The hotel was wonderful. Room very clean. Staff friendly and welcoming. Would recommend to anyone. Location perfect for getting about York. We early in the morning, but were allowed to leave our bags at the hotel so that we did not have to carry them around all day as we had travelled by train.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Great location , helpful staff but truly appalling nights sleep . Rooms at back of hotel very noisy , sounded mechanical and went on all night . If you enjoy the sound of water cascading down off the roof continual y stay here .

Dining room well presented but food is of poor quality .

Not up to the Hilton groups usual standards .

Stayed January 2014
Yarm, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Excellent central location and good quality rooms to the standard that you would expect from the Hilton. Really tasty sausages for breakfast too. I will definatley stay here again when I'm next in York.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

South Shields, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I came to stay at this hotel a few weeks ago and I had the most horrible experience ever. In the early morning around half past 8 I was woken up by a loud knock on my door followed by a unfriendly voice. Iv opened the door only to see a room attendant who is tall with dark hair with a thick fringe who startled me by saying " oh do you want your room cleaning later?" That made me feel very uncomfortable.

Later on that day when I came back from a meeting I had in the town centre, I approached my room to see the same cleaner inside my room using washing up liquid I would use at home to wash my cups. Is this normal ?
I left without been seen by the room attendant to buy a bottle of disinfectant to wash my cups after.

When I came back, the key wouldn't work and the same cleaner was just a bit further down the corridor i've asked her if she could help me but she turned around and said very rude, just go to reception.

I explained to the room attendant that she saw me this morning by knocking on my door and she knew I was staying in that room but she absolutely refused to help me and sent me back downstairs to reception!
I have NEVER encountered a more unfriendly and rude cleaner, I would expect a far better customer service from a Hilton.

Room Tip: Avoid a cleaner with dark hair and a thick fringe on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at this hotel. I had booked a Deluxe room, however I didn’t feel that this room was a deluxe. On booking this room the description said that I would receive bathrobes and slippers and complementary wifi, on arriving at the room the size was what I would have expected a standard room to be.

I rang down to reception to check this was a deluxe and was told it was, I pointed out that I had not bathrobes or slippers and it was trying to charge me for wifi access, at this point reception did send up some bathrobes but no slippers and they gave me a code for the wifi (they forgot to give it on check in)

After an evening out I returned to the hotel to have a couple of drinks in the bar, i ordered one round of drinks and when it was time for our second drink, i went to the bar to find it closed, no last orders were called and no staff came around advising that the bar was closing (approx 23:00hrs), so it was off to bed early

The second evening the same issue we got back to the hotel at approx 23:30 to find the bar closed and was told I had to order drinks through room service, which I did. When the drinks arrived the staff member commented that he didn’t know why hadn’t served me downstairs?

Tuesday morning I was awoken at approx 8am with banging and furniture being dragged around, I managed to get back to sleep but was again awoken by scrapping on the walls in the next room. at this point I got up and got ready to check out. On leaving the room there was bedroom furniture littered up the corridor, not a great look.

Don’t think I will be staying at this hotel again, could have gone somewhere else for half the price and got a better deal

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have stayed here a few times now and to be honest I will not go back. The location is brilliant and that's it.
The welcome from the staff wasn't what it used to be, the gentleman spoke very, very fast as if he had been sucking helium. He gave the impression that he couldn't care less. My room, was worn out and dated. I was woken up at 7.30am to housekeeping trying to get in my room!
The shower was a trickle and the towels paper thin, our duvet was wafer thin too....
Breakfast was ok, but not as good as it used to be and the breakfast staff (young girl) was rude and stretched across us when we were eating to clear the table!!
I have stayed at Hilton by Hampton, not far from this hotel and its far superior.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton York? Share your experiences!