“Total relaxation in lovely surroundings” 5 of 5 stars

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bishopthorpe Rd, York YO23 2GB, England   |
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in York
South Yorksihre
“Total relaxation in lovely surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

This is the second tie we have stayed at Middlethorpe Hall and once again it didnt disapoint. The rooms are tastfully decorated for the period and is spotlessly clean. The food is delicious and always of a very high standard. I didnt try the spa so cant comment . In my opinion the major plus for this hotel is the staff - service is second to non, staff are always polite and very helpful and do everything with a SMILE, which to me is a huge bonus. This hotel is perfect if you are visiting York Racecourse as it is just over the road. We will definately be going back in the near future and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We had an excellent visit to Middlethorpe this week. Our accommodation was absolutely perfect and could not have been more comfortable.Our room was tastefully furnished with antique furniture and was immaculately clean. We certainly enjoyed walking in the beautiful gardens and admired the flowers which have been tended with care. The Spa is restful with first class staff. We shall definitely return to Middlethorpe .
M & N

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Although this hotel is a couple of miles outside of the Walls of York, it is a great place to stay while visiting the city. It is "old school" all the way, and you really feel like you have stepped back into a more graceful time. Everyone seems happy to be working there, and therefore the service is excellent. The dining room is a little pricey for dinner, but it really is outstanding. There are acres of gardens to enjoy, and a very good spa on site.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

It is a refreshing and relaxing 'step back in time' to come to an Historic House Hotel. (I say the same about its sister hotel Hartwell House & Spa near Aylesbury, but I cannot comment on the third hotel in the group, Bodysgallen Hall & Spa, North Wales, as I have not visited recently).

The pace of life slowed and we were cocooned in beautiful surroundings - authentic restored decorations and antiques inside and varied gardens with rolling parkland outside - as befits a National Trust property.

The staff were discreet, pleasant and helpful, the food delicious and the Spa with swimming pool enticing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

I stayed here only for one night in a Single Room (with very comfortable double bed) in the Courtyard and really enjoyed my stay. I thought it was great value for money as I had the special deal of £125 which included the evening meal and breakfast as well as the use of the spa. My experience from booking the room to being greeted on arrival was very good and the room was quite small but fine for what I needed for one night. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room as well as a large complimentary bottle of water.

One slight niggle was the fact I had to phone up and pay for internet usage as I was there on business, but once given the code, the access was fast and reliable with no hitches.

I did use the swimming pool, sauna, steamroom etc... across the road and had the place to myself which was perfect for unwinding after a busy day in meetings.

Dinner was fabulous though I have to say was very 'pretty' without there being too much on the plate as many expensive restaurants are. Could have done with a bit more on the plate as it was so tasty! The food is very expensive if purchased outside of the deal but was delicious so worth it for a special occasion.

I do agree with a couple of other reviews that mentioned the dining room lacking a bit of atmosphere - a little bit of classical music in the background would have been perfect rather than absolute silent and other diners whispering to each other across the tables. Perhaps I noticed this more as I was dining alone but if people spoke at normal volume, the whole restaurant seemed to hear!

The staff I spoke with were all extremely courteous and seemed happy to be working there. Breakfast was lovely and there was a good selection for the 'continental' choice and although the full English was extra, it did look very tasty.

All in all, I really enjoyed the stay and would love to go back again - particularly to stay for one of the entertainment nights they host on the terrace.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Just back from a 3 night stay as a small group of ( German and very critical ) friends.
Our overall impression was that it was a very classy place - good service - peace and tranquility abound - a place to relax and unwind. We slept in the superior rooms in the courtyard which overlook and enjoy the scents from the beautiful gardens. Comfortable with good beds, slightly lacking in cupboard space.
The huge lawn at the back of the very impressive main house is a wonderfully sleepy place - like stepping into a Bronty novel or the 18th century - a perfect setting to have one´s afternoon tea.
The spa ( 10 short steps across the road) was very fine - an excellent pool, very clean, at a perfect temperature and very accomodating opening hours. I have been annoyed at many such establishments not opening until 9.00 - here it was 7.30 and ideal for a swim before breakfast.
The "continental" breakfast was somewhat sparse. Having lived and traveeled on the continent for 25 years I am qualified to say that mere cereals, fresh fruit salad, toast and jams out of a jar do not quantify a continental breakfast. This needs improvement. However the dinner was very good, if somewhat pricey.
I was slightly surprised to see no dress requirements for dinner in such imposing surroundings. I for one am all in favour of such and hope the old ways are not dying out.
Give the place a try - you should love it !!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Islington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We were recently at Middlethorpe Hall for a two-day break to get away from our busy lives in London. We could not have chosen a better place for doing exactly that. The hotel is beautiful; elegant, but unpretentious. Our four-poster bedroom overlooking the stunning grounds was exquisite. We made full use of the hotel; I had a facial and manicure and my boyfriend, who loves his treatments (!) had a massage and a facial. We used to the gym, which is small but perfectly formed, and the swimming pool. As we are both in training for a triathlon, we were grateful that the pool was a childfree area at certain times of the day! We had breakfast in bed (what is a break without breakfast in bed!) and lunch at the hotel, which was very good quality, but we didn’t have dinner at the hotel, as we preferred to sample the restaurants in York. The staff at Middlethorpe are all very friendly and accommodating. I would recommend Middlethorpe wholeheartedly; we had such a relaxing time. We will definitely be back when we need to ‘get away from it all’ again; I have a feeling that will be sooner rather than later.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Middlethorpe Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!