“Excellent central position” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 45 hotels in York
Devizes, United Kingdom
“Excellent central position”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Typical Novotel style....SLIGHTLY less polished than the Novotel I stayed at in Cardiff - although excellent friendly service & crisp, clean rooms. Great buffet style breakfast, reasonable parking rates for just off City Centre. Sadly didn't get to use the pool though!xx

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Good morning. Many thanks for your comments and for using both Novotel York and Novotel Cardiff. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back in one of our hotels in th very near future. Thank you once again.

1,282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

This is my second visit to this hotel. The first time I really enjoyed my stay and found the hotel welcoming and clean. On my last visit to York I stayed at the Cedar Court hotel and was very dissapointed (mainly with the arrogance of the staff and mistakes that were made with our room) and so I decided that this time I would return to the Novotel. Once again I was not dissapointed. Extremely friendly staff and a warm welcome awaited. The room was clean and spacious and had all the amenities that the Cedar Court offered (minus some lip balm and Molton Brown toiletries) but is more than half the price. It is a 10-15 minute walk into York town centre which I didn't find too bad and has a car park at the hotel which is £10 for 24 hours. My partner and I had a drink in the bar after dinner and enjoyed relaxing on the comfy chairs and watching a bit of tv in the lobby. It had a really nice atmosphere. Would probably stay here again next time I visit York.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Good afternoon. On behalf of the whole team here at the Novotel, I would like to thank you for your review. We are all delighted to read you enjoyed your second stay with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back. Thank you once again.

Boroughbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Had a work conference here a couple of days ago, what a pleasant venue
Good carparking 5£ for the day.
Very friendly and helpful staff and the snacks and buffet lunch were far better than anticipated and quite different to the normal fare for training and conferences
Will certainly return and use these excellent facilities in the future

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Good morning. Thank you very much for your comments. We do rarely get reviews with regards to our conference and banqueting offerings so I am delighted to read you had a good meeting. I have passed on your comments to the Conference team. They are very pleased! Thank you once again for your review. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Christophe
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

On a par with Premier Inn etc. Nice location, large car park and swimming pool good though. Certainly worth the £50 paid for the night but no more. Location was ok, just a 5 minute walk from the Barbican or Cliffords Tower area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your review. We hope to see you back at the hotel soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We decided to have a weekend in York to celebrate my 40th Birthday with my fiancé & our two young children. The hotel was a little by further away from town than I had expected but an OK walk. The room we had was too small as it had a double bed & a double sofa that was made out to two singles side by side, this meant we had very little room to walk around or in between the beds so the kids had to spend most of the time sat on their beds! Also the blankets on the pull out beds looked old and well used. There is no hanging space for jackets etc... And no radiators which proved difficult after we had been out around town last Friday and got very wet and cold! We phoned reception and they quickly sent a small room heater up to us, this meant we had even less floor space and had to keep the kids away as it was a danger as hot! The toilet was separate to the bathroom which seemed like a good idea at first but meant going from one to the other to wash hands which was a pain especially if I was showering and my son needed to wash he's hands! We couldn't seem to get the large overhead shower to work in the hotel bathroom or in the pool area??The food in the restaurant for dinner was nice but the children's food a bit basic and quite expensive overall as nearly the same price as eating in one of the towns very nice seafood restaurants!! The breakfast was hot one day but cold the next but the variety was good and tasty when hot. We had one trip to the swimming pool as it was quite cold in the water and one shower and two small changing rooms seemed a little insufficient. It also lacks privacy as the pool is visible from the bar, reception and restaurant! Don't think we would visit again as the room size meant we couldn't relax and small details missing!

Stayed February 2014
Good morning and thank you for your review. I am obviously disappointed to read you would not consider using us again in the future and taken note of your points. Whilst there is very limited action I can take with regards to the size of the room, I will certainly look into your other comments. Thank you once again.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed at the novotel hotel on the 31st jan and what a lovely hotel this is staff are very welcoming and pleasent when my husband rang down to reception to say we where cold in our room only due to being shopping in york center on a very iciy rainy day the staff came within mins to our room with a heater.the room was spacious red hotwater for our bath and the bed was so comfy the pool was lovely and warm we love york and will deffinatly stay again at the novotel hotel thank you everyone for our lovely stay

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Good morning. Thank you very much for your kind comments. I have shared them with the team and we are all pleased to read you had a good time despite the cold weather! We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and to the beautiful city of York.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just stayed there for my 50th birthday (2rooms).. rooms not a bad size but bathroom small and not much hanging space. This morning there was no hot water.
- I had been given a bottle of champagne by my son which we were going to drink watching the game on the big screen yesterday but were told we couldn't...We then bought drinks in reception but these were very expensive.
Also I agree with the comment about the mini bar - there was only water in there so assumed it was complimentary..sadly not, £2.50 for a small bottle ...excessive. There was a notice but very hard to read.
Note on here that many people were able to check in early..again although I didn't try to check in until about 1.00- was unable to...this would really have helped as my elderly mother was with me.
Positive - the breakfast was good.
Not sure if I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Good morning and thank you for your comments. I have had a chance to review your feedback and have taken note of your comments. I would personally apologise for the lack of hot water on Monday morning due to a technical issue. I am also sorry to notice you were not able to book in before the usual 2.00pm check in time. We do our utmost to clean the rooms as fast as possible to give early access but were not able to do so on this instance. I also hope you will understand we are not in a position to authorise our guests to bring their own drinks into our bar. Thank you very much for your review.

Christophe Ughetto

Been to Novotel York Centre? Share your experiences!