“Need to catch up on other chains” 4 of 5 stars

Up to 40% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Need to catch up on other chains”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

A nice hotel, comfy bed and pillows which are a must! (My double bed was two singles made up together, not perfect but as I was on my own I didn't mind) Nice sized room with everything you want really. No free Internet in the lobby areas which I found astounding - need to address this to compete with other hotel chains I feel. Also, the TV isn't with the full free view channels that I also expect nowadays. I'm not paying so okay, I would expect more for a personal stay.

• Stayed December 2012
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Good morning and thank you for your valuable comments. I am pleased to read you found the room to your taste. With regards to Internet, we are expecting to take delivery of two IMAC stations anytime now which will be free to use in the lounge. In addition, we should be in a position to offer free WIFI by June 2013.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write a comment. Wishing you all the best for the festive season!

Christophe Ughetto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
LIVERPOOL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

First of all we stayed in this hotel 2 years ago and really enjoyed it as it was our silver anniversary. Decided to stay again for wifes birthday this time booking an executive room. Sent them an email in advance explaining why we are staying for a 2nd time.
Check in was quite speedy considering we were there 2 hours early.
Entered room 111 to find the smallest executive room we have ever stayed, I only believed it was an executive room as it had a sign on the door.
Wardrobe as wide as an office filing cabinet had 5 hangers for the 2 of us no draws just 1 small cupboard beneath the TV, Toilet as you walk in the door and bathroom next to the bed. So after using the toilet you had to walk through the room to the bathroom to wash your hands. The bathroom had disposable plastic cups rather than glasses
First night surprise to have porter knock on the door at 6.30pm while getting ready to go out for the night. he had a small plate of 4 cakes smallest cakes you could find looked like 1 cake had been sliced in 4. With the cakes was an envelope with name on it. Thought at first what a nice gesture for my wifes birthday. How wrong the envelope had a letter congratulating my wife and I celebrating our silver anniversary 2 years late. still a nice thought until I bit a cake and almost broke my tooth, they were rock hard.
The plates left in room for 2 days

Breakfast was booked on arrival with a price of £13.95 per person, very expensive. First morning must admit food was very nice replenished quite quickly. Second morning was completely different, food was cold or under cooked. Beans ran out asked to be replenished 10mins later they arrived only to be cold.

Coffee tea and Nespresso machine(only executive rooms) in room no biscuits first day 2nd day biscuits left which were smashed in to crumbs anf left on the tray

The biggest shock was when checking out they had charged us for use of the hotel car park. No mention when booking or when checking in and the cost for 2 nights stay was £17.00.

I will add we booked this through the Accor hotels website and got it at a reduced rate £50.00 per night room only. Which we thought was a bargain. Big mistake. Im glad I didnt pay the nightly rate which was advertised on the screen behind the reception desk. £189.00 pn.

The hotel does have some good points
The bed were really comfortable and the staff were extremely helpful in fact the staff probably are the best thing at this hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Good morning and thank you for your honest feedback. I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay as much as you did 2 years ago and will investigate your comments. the car parking has been chargeable for many years now and I am surprised you were not aware of it. We will however make sure we do better inform people at the time of booking. With regards to your cakes, I would like to apologize for the poor quality; we aimed to surprise you as you clearly mentioned on your booking the purpose of your visit and I guess it did back fire as it became a source of disatisfaction. Thank you once again for taking the time to let me know about your stay giving me an opportunity to take the necessary steps to better serve you in the future.

yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and son (14 months) for 2 nights as a little get a way.

On arrival we arrived an hour or so before check in and checking in early was no problem. We booked an executive room for extra space and the room was lovely and spacious. We had requested a river view on booking and got exactly that. The room was perfectly clean.

The reception area and lobby had a play area, wii and x box great for family entertainment.

We had breakfast in the hotel and the service and quality was second to none.the buffet was always well topped up, fresh and plenty of choice.

We used the swimming pool while we were there again perfectly clean although a little to cold for a baby but he managed a little swim. There was plenty of towels available which was nice.

We had a few drinks in the bar on an evening which were quite reasonably priced. The bar man Gregory was fantastic especially with our son and made the best cocktails.

We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay next time we visit. Friendly staff who couldn't do more for you. It's a nice distance from the centre to enjoy a stroll.

• Stayed November 2012
Good morning and thank you so much for your comments. I have personally passed on your comments to Gregory at the bar who clearly remembered your son. He was very pleased to know he contributed to make your stay enjoyable. We all would like to wish you all the best for the Christmas season!

Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Novotel group of hotels continues to impress us with it's quality for price paid, particularly with the free child offers. The provision of an xBox and Wii in reception was enjoyed as usual but the addition of the pool also made for fun for the kids....happy children means happy parents! Rooms are good although tight on space around the beds with the sofa bed out. Breakfasts as near faultless. It's location is very good indeed for walking into the centre of York. Due to the wet weather we decided to eat in the restaurant one evening which proved an adventure in us getting a rather over the top reaction to a relatively minor complaint regarding the number of bones a piece of cod we were served. Eventually was dealt with in an acceptable manner so, although irritating, it did not spoil the visit or overall experience. We would be happy to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am glad to read the whole familly enjoyed their time in York. We would like to wish our best wishes for the fast approaching end of the year and hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back in the New Year!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Have stayed on a number of occasions (typically just the one night) and have always found staff to be very friendly and helpful, rooms basic but clean and a good choice for breakfast.

They could do with offering free WIFI though in this day and age.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your repeat custom and valuable feedback. we are currently working on a new contract with regards to WIFI in the hotel and should be in a position to offer it by the middle of 2013. Thank you once again and all the best for the end of the year.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just had a 2 night break here with my husband and found the hotel to be great, we had an executive room that we found to be really good, with free internet access were never in long enough to try the free movies. Breakfast was a real treat with plenty of choices and was included in the cost of our room. The staff were always helpful and very friendly especially the lovely staff member on reception, sadly I forgot to make a note of his name, who sorted out my wi fi for me when I couldn't get it to work!! We hope to be back when the weather is warmer would highly recommend the Novotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon and thank you for your comments. I have shared your positive feedback to the whole team and we are all very pleased to know you had a good stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the summer as York has got plenty more to offer when it is warmer outside!! In the meantime, we all would like to wish the best for the festive season.

Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Should anyone be considering the very lovely and quaint city of York and not wish to spend too much money on a central and luxury hotel then we highly recommend Novotel. This hotel is situated just some 7minutes walk from the centre. It has its own parking which is a huge benefit. Everything is at its doorstep and the hotel offers perfectly acceptable quality of rooms and a reasonable choice of breakfast. The staff are friendly and helpful. We felt it was good value and did what it said on the box !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon and thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased you did find us to your satisfaction and that you are happy to recommend us. May I use this opportunity to send you our best wishes for the Christmas season?

Christophe Ughetto

Been to Novotel York Centre? Share your experiences!