“Great location in York, UK” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN PLUS Dean Court Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Duncombe Place, York YO1 2EF, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 45 hotels in York
“Great location in York, UK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Nice hotel in a very convenient location. It's a short walk from the train station, right next to Minster Cathedral, and a block away from the Shambles (I.e., old town York). Free wifi as well. One thing to note is that there is no A/C, however the windows do open in the room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

845 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This beautiful little hotel sits at the foot of York Minster and is operated by a friendly and patient staff. The room had free wi-fi and there was a tremendous feeling of acceptance for my young daughter. We would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
West Runton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had a lovely nights stay at the Dean Court. When we arrived our car was taken for us using the valet parking and reception staff and porter who carried our luggage could t have been more helpful. We had a very comfortable room at the front of the hotel with a lovely view of the Minster.
We had dinner in the restaurant that again I can strongly recommend and the friendly French waiter added to the enjoyment.
Next morning we had a first class breakfast served by their excellent staff.
We will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My mother and I stayed at this hotel on Mon.16th September 2013. I booked this hotel because it seemed luxurious and prestigious, and was a treat for my mothers Birthday.

We arrived and signed in. I had booked a double superior room with a view of the Minster.

The lady on reception was very nice and the porter took us up to the room and everything was fine. The price for one night was £170 through booking.com and on the price list should have been £210, still quite a lot of money for one night.

My brother and mother had stayed in this hotel before and they said as far as they can remember it was not noisy, which concerned me....it being right in the city centre.

When we had finished sightseeing we came back to the room at about 7pm and were pleasantly surprised that it was nice and quiet outside. This did not last...from 8pm -6am and I am NOT joking, constant screaming shouting etc. even at 1.20am there was a trio singing loudly outside.

Everytime I started to drift off, I was woken again by someone shouting or screaming. Now I know this is a prime location and I read the reviews before booking, so I cannot understand why it was so noisy. I purposely did not book other hotels because they mentioned the noise.

We were on the first floor which probably contributed to the noise factor, but for the price you pay I feel it should be mentioned in the itinerary that certain rooms can experience noise because of their positioning all being part of the location. This would have gave me an idea of what to expect, but surely not until 6am. We had breakfast at 7.15am.

The hotel itself is fine, the room was sufficient and the breakfast adequate, and I did realize there would be some noise but not on that level. I also did not like the fact that you had a mini bar that was not stocked.....you shouldn't have to ask for things, and the hand wash in the bathroom was a large bottle refilled, which to me is wrong as you do not know how long the stuff at the bottom has been there. Small recyclable bottles are the answer.

We did not try the food as we are both Vegetarians and two of the main meals for us had Parmesan cheese in them, which is not Vegetarian and cannot be made without calf rennet, I feel this needs to be addressed.

I enjoyed York, and the Hotel was nice..but for what we paid I would stay somewhere else.

I have been to York twice in other lower priced Hotels and never had this experience. I am not knocking the Hotel, some people will love it, and it's the location that brings the noise so the Hotel isn't to blame, but just not for me.

Do not let me stop you staying here because you may have an altogether different experience, but I am just clueing you up.

Room Tip: Book a high up room to avoid noise issues.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Had a lovely weekend stay at the Dean Court. The location is stunning, literally on the Minster's doorstep, and just a hop, skip and jump into town and all it's delights. There is valet parking available, and your bags are taken to your room for you. The staff at the hotel are lovely and appear to genuinely like being at work. The Maitre D is a delight, full of fun and a pleasure to be around. Breakfast is delicious, wonderful buffet followed by cooked food, with choices ranging from a full English , to Eggs Benedict, to Whitby haddock. Delicious.

We stayed in a superior double, and although it wasn't the biggest of rooms I've ever stayed in it was perfectly reasonable and the view from the window more than made up for it. The corridors could do with a little update, but this doesn't distract really. We will be back!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in late August. We had a lovely stay and booked a room on the third floor. (There is an elevator!) As others have mentioned, it is in a great location within easy walking distance of many of the sights, parks, museums, restaurants, bars, and shops. We walked to the hotel from the train station, and it took about 15 minutes. We had a room which was very small but adequate; the bathroom is modern. The room was not air-conditioned, but there was a small fan provided. Since it was warm in August, we slept with the windows open. There was very little noise from outside. The hotel was clean and the staff was very helpful. We had breakfast in the hotel. There was a buffet or you could order from the menu with a nice variety. Our food was excellent. We had a small private table with a sunny window overlooking Yorkminster. The view was perfect. There is a small, but cozy bar area where we had drinks in the evening. We only had a couple of days in York and with so much to see, we were glad we chose this wonderfully located hotel. If we return to York, it would be our first choice again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I love this hotel, we have family in York and I have stayed in this hotel many times over the past 10 years. We love it because of the location, the fantastic valet parking, cleanliness of the rooms/quality of laundering, the comfortable beds, the delicious food at breakfast and the high quality of food and service in the DCH restaurant in the evening. It isn't cheap but these are the reasons we feel it's worthwhile. However, during our last stay (mid-Sept), there were a couple of issues that were far from the usual standard . The service in the Bistro at teatime for ourselves and our 3 year old was woefully inattentive, the table was sticky, the carpets looked grubby and the plate my daughter's meal arrived on was a greasy smeary mess. If my only experience of the hotel had been this one, I would not have returned. We still love this hotel - this is the only time it has been less than 5* but I think the service in the Bistro needs attention.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the minster if possible. Table 9 in the DCH restaurant is lovley.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Dean Court Hotel? Share your experiences!