“Sweet hotel with charm and some quirks” 4 of 5 stars

The Grange Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Clifton, York YO30 6AA, England   |
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in York
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Sweet hotel with charm and some quirks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

We spent a generally delightful weekend at the Grange. Our room (a classic double) was nicely decorated and although fairly simple, was easy on the eye in terms of design and a reasonable size. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and I was pleased that my ears fitted snugly between the bath taps when sharing a bubble bath: often a failing of many hotels these days. Breakfast was good and service friendly and obliging. My girlfriend asked for her bacon to be extremely well done and it arrived as cremated as she hoped!

We have a few gripes. We decided to celebrate our arrival in our room in rather a special way. We were therefore alarmed when the room door opened without a knock. I managed to fling myself off the bed towards the wardrobe and my girlfriend gave a shruggy smile to the member of staff, who retreated with apologies. Were I a lesser man this might have put me off, though the sliding of a neatly typed apology under the door ten minutes later when battle had recommenced provided the sort of comic moment we often enjoy.

The room was very hot. The back rooms cop the afternoon sun on hot days and we had to sleep with the window wide open.

But this is a nice place, a decent, slightly quirky hotel. I'd stay again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Norfolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Stayed at Xmas 2009 and had an average experience but an awful Xmas meal. We were offered a complimentary room on a dinner bed and breakfast basis as compensation and added a further night at our expense.

the hotel is tired and furnishings generally well beyond what one should expect of a 4 star hotel. although the bed was very comfortable and the linen excellent. robes had seen better days and we would have dispensed with them long ago.

food in the restaurant very good although beware mass catering as the kitchen brigade seem to struggle and cannot cope. Chef is far more at home dealing with restaurant guests where the food is more bespoke.

Beware wedding parties too where paying hotel guests can easily get frozen out and it would be quicker to get a drink by going to a nearby pub as the one barman cannot cope with 120plus wedding guests and normal paying hotel guests.

Check your bills too as we were asked to pay for the complimentary night! soon sorted but shows sloppy attitude that was reinforced by a failure to deliver newspaper on the first morning and getting the restaurant booking correct by reserving a table on the wrong night.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
eastbourne, england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

We loved the building, the staff were helpful, wonderful brealfast and the two evening meals we had were very enjoyable, something was missing, a lack of atmosphere perhaps! There did'nt seem to be any front of house continuity, we would probably stay again, its close to the city, but we had the same feeling as you might staying at a faceless chain hotel.

West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

My husband and I recently spent a few days in York, staying at the Grange Hotel. We had made a late on-line booking and hoped that the accommodation would be nice, as so many hotels are often disappointing. However, the Grange was lovely. A beautiful building, a wonderful atmosphere, great food and excellent service. I would also like to commend the staff for being so polite and attentive. We will gladly return at the earliest opportunity.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2010
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff to be polite and attentive. We have worked very hard to ensure our staff come across in this manner and am delighted that you have commented upon this.

I would like to thank you for taking the time in giving me your feedback and do hope you will return to us very soon.
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

This is a nice hotel about 10 minutes walk from the Old York city. Breakfast was good and the staff were very helpful. We had one of the larger rooms which was still quite small and our room was quite noisy being on the corner of the hotel towards the main road. There is some free parking but be early.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback and I pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry you found the traffic to be noisy and would like to reassure you that we are constantly looking for new ways to improve our sound proofing that will be in keeping with our Hotel and also with its grade 2 listed status.

I do appreciate you taking the time to give me your feedback and look forward to you returning to us in the future.
S. Yorks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed at the Grange Hotel recently and enjoyed my stay. The hotel is in a good location (about 5 mins walk from the Minster) The Hotel has parking which was very useful in York although I would recommend an early arrival to obtain a space.

The rooms and hotel have character and charm. The room we stayed in was spacious and clean. The staff too were very polite and helpful and the breakfast was very tasty.

Overall I would recommend this hotel although I do think the prices quoted are very expensive and I would recommend trying to find a good price deal.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback, I am delighted that we more than met all of your expectations.

I will ensure that my Head Chef is made aware of your very kind comments.

Unfortunately during your stay we did have an issue with our sound system but this has now been rectified so there are no more need to listen to other peoples conversations.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the near future.
brackley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

my wife and myself wanted a special weekend away in york and decided on the grange it looked to have that little bit extra, we arrived on saturday and where in room 36 which i highly recommend as if had the biggest and most comfortable four poster bed i have ever been in (and being 6'5 i'm fussy when i comes to beds), it was luxourious, and there was even a tv in the bathroom which my wife loved. we ordered a romantic package and there was champagne on ice in the room with a box of thorntons chocolates on arrival.
the meals were amazing we ate in the ivy 2 nights and loved the presentation, i had the best duck i have ever eaten. cannot recommend there chef enough, my only comment though is there is no music in the restaurant so its very very quiet and your listening to other peoples conversations, maybe needs something to give it a bit of atmosphere.
we will definatly be back, it might not be the cheapest hotel but sometimes you gotta spoil yourself.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

I will ensure that my Head Chef is made aware of your very kind comments.

Been to The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!