“Good offer - great food” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Fish & Chips, British, English, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
“Good offer - great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Visited on a Wednesday night (Grill night) when you receive a free bottle of wine when two grill meals are ordered.

First surprise was that some of the choices on offer started at £7.50. Thought they'd be more expensive with such an offer.

I chose a sixteen ounce sirloin (£15.00) and my wife had gammon. Both meals were exceptionally tasty and well cooked. The steak was a perfect medium as requested, succulent and tasty. Infact one of the best steaks I've had in years.

The free bottle of wine was a Hardy's shiraz which complemented the food.

Naturally the bar was busy on such a night, but we were well looked after my two hard working young people who managed the bar and the food side of things.

So good was the food that I will try to ensure my next visit to York includes a Wednesday night.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Chorley, United Kingdom
“Nice pub, quick service, ok food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Visited on a trip to York with my 6 year old. There was just me and him and wanted somewhere to have lunch. This was round the corner from where we were staying and advertised a kids menu and didn't look too "pubby" to take a child in. It was a good choice, he liked the kids menu - usual kids fare! I had a burger. He was pretending to play on the fruit machine so they brought me some paper and crayons so I could distract him which I thought was really good of them - rather than just telling me off! Food was tasty enough, a lot better than other Marstons I've been in and would happily eat here again if I was in the area - the fact I wouldn't is more due to the huge amount of choice in York rather than anything wrong with the pub itself.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Over the course of a week, I ate here twice. I had a Yorkshire puddling filled with roast pork, stuffing and gravy, with vegetables and potatoes one night, and the fish and chips another night. The food was excellent and very good value for money. Free wifi is also available - just ask at the bar for the password.

Located very close to York Minster, this is a very popular spot and can get very crowded, especially during high season and on weekends. My tip is to have an early dinner - around 5 pm, before the crowds hit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
England
“Welcome respite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Popped in here for a drink on Good Friday, to escape the freezing Easter weather. Obviously very popular, I can see sometimes how people would struggle for a seat given the location.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wigan
“Nice pub good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We called in here on a Monday evening after a days shopping in York, we were pleasently surprised, it was a nice cosy pub on a bitterly cold evening. It was curry night and the pub was extremely busy, but we manged to get a table, we all ordered a curry each this also came with a free drink so it was also good value. we did not have to wait long before the food came and it was very good. I would recommend this pub to anyone who visits York.

• 4 of 5 stars Food