“Great Yorkshire Fare” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Local ingredients take center stage at The Tanglewood, York’s only gastro pub with a theatrical twist.Conveniently located on the A64, The Tanglewood is a family run restaurant owned by prominent theater producer, Nick Thomas - who also owns The Copper Horse, the award winning restaurant in Seamer, Scarborough. The stage and screen memorabilia on the walls are all from his personal collection, each poster sparking a fond memory.The appealing menu has something for everyone, with traditional British food taking a starring role. Freshly prepared by the team of talented chefs, the food includes favorites like Gressingham Duck Spring rolls, pan fried King Scallops and hand pressed Steak Burgers. The great value children’s menu is nutritious and delicious, featuring dishes like sustainably sourced fish & chips and homemade pie with veggies.With private dining areas and a versatile layout, The Tanglewood is perfect for parties, weddings and corporate functions. The experienced party planners can organize everything from transport to table decorations, cakes to canapés. Dine al fresco or in the marquee - there is even an ‘exclusive use’ option to put your special event in the spotlight.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great Yorkshire Fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Have eaten at this pub a few times on the weekend as often pass on the way to the coast. I can say that the food is always fresh,hot and delicious. They have a varied menu but not so much that you are outfaced.I have found that the staff are very attentive regardless of how busy they are. Between myself and hubby we have tried several things on the menu, I loved the fish and chips,hubby loves the steak.The pies are also very nice. I think the prices are a little more than your average pub meal but the standard of food is worth that little extra.Ps I can recommend the cheesecake.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Simon F, General Manager at The Tanglewood, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
It is always great to read reviews from our regular customers. We know they are based on a number of visits meaning we hold your feedback in high regard.

I shall ensure your feedback is passed to all the team.

We shall look forward to seeing you again soon.

Simon

“Distinctly average sunday lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having not been to this pub for about 10 years we ate sunday lunch here last summer and to our surprise we thought it was lovely. Yesterday we called again and it certainly wasn't the same experience we'd had the last time. We were quite quickly shown to our table and a drinks order was taken which was great. It was only 2 soft drinks yet they took over 10 mins to arrive. All the staff seemed to be running around like nutters but it was relatively quiet in the pub. The dinner arrived much quicker than expected (we'd been told a 30 min wait) however we were VERY disapointed. There was a lot of meat on the plate but it tasted very bland. We got 3 roast potatoes each and a small dish of vegetables which were sub standard quality to say the least. No Mashed potatoes, no extra roasts , soggy green beans and hard carrots. Oh yes not to forget the tinned peas. For £9.95 this just wasn't good enough. It was edible so we eat it but we went home feeling completely unsatisfied and ended up eating cheese on toast to fill us up. I think you need to have a look at what other places are offering, in some cases quite a bit cheaper. We will think twice before visiting again which is a shame as we pass on a daily basis.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Simon F, General Manager at The Tanglewood, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that your visit on Sunday the 3rd did not live up to your previous visit the year before. Your visit should have been better than the previous year as we strive to improve all aspects of our offering continuously. I believe that the quality of our food and service has increased over the years, which I hope is reflected by the review below about the same day.

We will happily provide more vegetables and extras such as mashed potato etc. Next time you are in, and I do hope you will return, please just ask and we will happily get these for you.

The meat should not have been bland. We use a quality local butcher and we pride ourselves on the quality of our ingredients. We also buy all our fruit and vegetables from Pocklington, so I can assure you our peas are not tinned.

I am sorry your visit was not to the standard that both you and I expect.

I do hope you will come back in and see that this is not that case.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Will never cook a Sunday lunch again!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Fully expected a typical pub style carvery but surprised at the quality of the Sunday lunch, we arrived around 4pm without a booking, asked to wait at the bar whilst a table was prepared, 2 minutes later our table was ready. Food arrived on lovely hot plates with all the usual accompaniments all food tasted freshly prepared and home made - absolutely delicious. Lovely waiting staff at the bar and at our table, nothing seemed too much trouble in fact seemed to go out of their way to be accommodating to guests requests. Will return without a doubt.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for writing such a fantastic review!

Sunday lunches are one of our most popular days, great feedback is really appreciated and always gives the staff a boost.

We may have to look into a delivery service if you are not going to cook another Sunday lunch again!

We shall look forward to seeing you soon.

South Shields, United Kingdom
“Excellent Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stopped here quite by chance on valentines day for lunch on our way home from the airport. I'm so glad we did, you see I am a coeliac and find eating out very stressful, but what a surprise - they had a full gluten free menu with all the stuff I can't normally eat in restaurants, like batter, chips and bread and there were a number of choices.
The food was gorgeous, well presented and tasty and the staff brilliant, I can't fault the place. Interesting decor which is quite a talking point at least on your first visit. Lovely, we'll be back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
It is always great to hear such fantastic feedback from our customers, it is what we strive for!

We are proud of our Gluten Free menu and the variety of dishes we can offer to coeliacs.

Thank you for writing such a great review, I shall ensure your feedback is passed to the entire Tanglewood Team.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Highly overpriced and arwful service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Went in for a meal coming home from York firstly waited too long to be served then a waiter came took the orders then we again waited too long for our food and didn't even get an apology for the waiting. Secondly the prices of their food were ridiculously overpriced Im sorry to say but I will not be returning there again

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Simon F, General Manager at The Tanglewood, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
I am extremely sorry to hear your visit was not up to the standard that both I and our customers expect.

The service should not have been slow. It should be prompt, friendly and personal.

All our food is cooked to order so does take a little while to prepare.

I would disagree that our prices are high. We use fresh local ingredients which are slightly more expensive but we pay for the quality.

I would greatly appreciate some more details regarding your visit so that I can investigate the matter thoroughly. My email address is sfinnigan@thetanglewood.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.