“Good but stop upselling - you're not McDonalds!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #140 of 712 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout, Late Night
Description: Award winning fish and chips restaurant and take away, high quality and locally sourced ingredients whenever possible. Also pies, salads, jacket potatoes, hot and cold drinks and home-made puddings.
London, United Kingdom
“Good but stop upselling - you're not McDonalds!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Visited with friends a week or so ago. Had to wait quite a while for food but the lady outside was very friendly and it's not their fault for being popular!

The food was good too. Fairly small portions for a fish and chip restaurant but we were all nicely full up.

The only qualm we had was the blatant up-selling by the staff - they have obviously been trained to do this. We ordered fish and chips and we are asked "would you like that one large". After the order were were asked "would you like some onion rings to share round the table with it". Low and behold every table had their token onion rings and large plates which they paid extra for. I guess it worked!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Huntly, United Kingdom
“Good Children Friendly Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Lovely atmosphere and food. Lucy made welcome which is a good sign. The service was good and we will revisit when in York.

Nelliekay
“Friendly & warm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Went here after a very cold ghost walk. Very friendly greeting and staff seated us by a radiator as we were so cold. Opted for the set menu, fish, chips, mushy peas and home made tartare sauce, all very good. Followed by yummy puddings with lashings of custard. A friend had an old fashioned sherry trifle which was also excellent.
Good selection of drinks to go with food and a decent pot of tea after.
Last night in York so ended our trip on a high note.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“A Chip off the old block”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Took my partners mother for a trip to York on Sunday and we decide to dine at Mr Chippy…the restaurant looked very well presented outside but the name was slightly off putting as it reminded me of one of those chipshops at the coast that serve up a poor bag of chips and fish in a yellow batter……Mr Chippy is nothing like that……….. !!!!!!!

The inside decoration was first class with a spacious area to sit and have your meal…I,m sorry I did not obtain the nanes of the staff because the welcome and service was first class…how refreshing to have curtousey and first class service both before during and after the meal………Sheila my partners mother is very choosey on what she eats but gave the fish. chips and peas 10\10 The meals are all cooked to order that is what you are paying for and presentation is very important obviously to the staff….I did not realise that I could have had a glass of prosecco with my meal until I was leaving …It does not get much better than this…something I could not get further down the road at a so called wine bar…….

I spoke to the staff regarding a name change but they told me many regulars knew it as Mr Chippy and people related to this……I shall be returning here the next time I am in York for my fish and chips and….. prosseco….Good stuff………..

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very nice fish chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We were handed a voucher for 25% off in the street for this restaurant, which we used for lunch that day. Its a lovely clean place and seems busy. Its quite a large amount of fish and chips and they also do a larger size which is massive! Its not cheap even with the voucher and there were as few little things wrong. It said on the menu you could change the peas for another side order for 15p, so I asked for curry sauce instead of the peas, but on our bill we were charged full price for the curry sauce as extra. Also it said the meal included tartar sauce but we didnt have any.
I will say the curry sauce was excellent even though we were over charged for it!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere