“Love it ! Love it! Love it!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 116 Attractions in York
Type: Amusement/ Theme Parks, Amusement Parks
More attraction details
Owner description: York maze is an a-maizing day out for the whole family. The attraction is based around a giant maze, made from maize plants. We open during the school summer holidays,to give families an amazing day out. With over 20 different rides and attractions, the kids will be kept busy for the whole day! York maze also runs halloween events for families in the daytimes, and teenagers and adults at night during the Halloween half term. We finish the year with a huge firework spectacular set to music, on November the 5th every year. When we are not open to the public, we host weddings in our beautiful barn comlex. It's the perfect setting for a rustic wedding!
York, United Kingdom
50 attraction reviews
“Love it ! Love it! Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

This is my 3rd review of the Maze. We only live 5 minutes away and we were so so excited to go today. Yet again we arrived at 1030 and I had to drag my kids aged 9 and 6 out at 6pm ! It is fab fab fab

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not a-maze-ing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

As my birthday is during the school holidays, we always take our children out for a family day out. We have previously visited the maize maze next to Canon Hall farm a few times over the past few years, but we decided to travel to the York maze after a recommendation. On the whole I would say that the whole attraction is on a too commercial scale. Firstly for a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 5 and 9 it cost £42 just to get in. The maze was ok, but my husband prefers the challenge of the canon hall farm one and the children prefer that one too as you can get a flag on a stick to wave for assistance...and there are 'spotters' to guide you a little if you request help...essentially a few little elements that make the children think they are on a real adventure.
At the York maze there are a number of free attractions such as the jumping pillow, which they really enjoyed and a positive is that it's under a barn canopy...but the children had to queue quite some time to get a go...same was the case for the 'cobstackle' course and the inflatable slide...we gave the crazy golf a wide berth because of the huge queues, the 'maze of illusions' was ok I suppose as a time filler In between deciding if we wanted to queue up for other things. We didn't manage to see the pig racing as the timings didn't work for us. The children had a go at the quad bikes (an extra £1 each per child per turn) the remote control boats were the same price. The water wars was great fun to watch ...essentially a giant catapult contraption for water bombs with an extra water soaking if the opponents bomb hits a target! Beware, participants can get very, very (need a complete change of clothes) wet.
We tried the ' Yorkshire dragon barbecue' for lunch as the website champions the use of local producers and recipes and quality of the food...I could not however recommend this and in hindsight we should have packed a picnic. Burgers not great, real sausage hot dogs were not enjoyed, chicken burger thrown away. Our Son ate his vegetable burger and enjoyed It, and the corn on the cob was fine! The quality, feel, appearance, taste and texture of the meat, or meat mix in the case of the burgers and sausages didn't meet expectations.
Sand pit play and climbing playground available to be enjoyed without addition cost.
We are not sure if we hit a busier than normal day, but to summarise far too many queues for short turns on things, not enough toilets at all! Disappointing food! Think we would have rather spent the money on different attraction...not sure what picnickers would do if there was a sudden downpour as although there is a lot of land and grass and some picnic tables, we never saw anything under a canopy or cover for this plausible event in our british summers? I would recommend taking a picnic and spare clothes...especially if you intend to use the water wars or go on the crow mania ride (despite having spare clothes, the queue for this was quite significant so we opted out of a soaking on that attraction! )

“Brilliant day out !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Brilliant day out went with my husband a 3 kids 15 who's a doctor who fan so he loved it my 12 year old and 10 year old. they all loved it and have told all there friends how sick it was as they put it lol. there favourite bit (even tho they loved it all) was the confusion house they went in twice. as it was very busy. pig race brill maze brill tractor ride wet lol but also brill. But because of how busy it was we did spend a lot of time quieing so we didn't fit in everything . And missed doing a lot like golfing jumping cushion the slides the little mirror maze we did try the BBQ ther I have to say it is over priced food and didnt think the quilaty was very good. me and my husband got a chilli peri peri chicken burger and it was just under £5 per burger wasn't spicy and the chicken was so so dry and hard round the edges. the kids had a burger and said It was ok but dry that's my only complaint next time I will probley take a pack lunch as they were plenty of picnic areas . Over all a fun family day out . And will defiantly be going again :-)

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A-maze-ing day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

What a great day out this is.
Our party was 2 fun loving adults and a 4 year old boy. We arrived at 11am and left the park as it closed at 6.30pm and the hours inbetween were fun filled and flew by all too quickly.
The car parks were pretty full but it was a nice point that we didn't have to queue too much for any ride. The excellent crowmania was the longest at 30 minutes but we didn't queue for longer than 10 minutes for anything else.
The house of cornfusion was fantastic, especially the anti-gravity room at the end. We had great fun on the bouncy cushion (several times) and the bouncy corn obstacle course was a good laugh.
It's almost strange to say that the maze itself was not one of our favourite parts of the day seeing as that is the big draw of the park. Myself and my partner found it just a little to easy to navigate and didn't get stumped once.
The onsite coffee shop serves a decent cup of coffee alongside excellent cakes and muffins and we took our own picnic to save on costs.
I would like to make one final point about the quality of the staff there. Most are young and look like seasonal staff on college holidays etc but without exception they were pleasant, polite, friendly and very personable. They are a great credit to the company.
I was dubious about visiting at £33 for the three of us but it was excellent value and another trip is already being planned.
Highly recommended.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Excellent full days entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

What a brilliant day out. Whilst you may initially regard it as expensive on entry there are things to do that keep the children entertained all day long. It is more than just a maze. Hint and tip to get there early as there are queues to get in however this is to be expected given how good the attraction is.

Visited July 2013