“Great B&B to stay at in York” 5 of 5 stars

Waggon & Horses
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   19 Lawrence Street, York YO10 3BP, England   |
Ranked #46 of 213 York B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great B&B to stay at in York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

9 of us stayed at the Waggon and Horses at the end of November for a birthday weekend away. We were warmly welcomed by Tom when we arrived at lunch time and decided to stay and have our lunch. Very pleased we did as it was lovely. We chose pies and the sausages and mash and it was gorgeous, set us up for afternoon shopping in York.
The bedrooms were spotless with plenty of towels for the en suite.
Breakfast was fantastic, fruit, cereal, hot croissants and full English, you seriously couldn't ask for more.
Tom and Paulina were very helpful and had good knowledge of the area.
Fantastic value for money, would definitely recommend this B&B.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Had a lovely two night stay at this friendly Pub / Hotel
My Mum And I had a twin room which was lovely , plenty of room with nice ensuite shower room. Room was immaculate too.
Breakfasts which were included were lovely with full English if you wanted .With good quality bacon and sausages.You also had cereals, fruit and gorgeous croissants to help yourself too.
Evening meal in the pub really good too , very reasonable .
I had some local sausages and mash which were great.
Lots of choice of restaurants walking distance too.
I will go back and stay for sure when I next visit York.
10 minute lovely walk into the town centre too

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
South UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We booked the twin bed room which was located at the back of the building and was very quiet.

Clean rooms, small but have everything you need for a short stay. To write anything negative would just be nitpicking.
Breakfast was excellent, second to none and the service of the staff was also impeccable, very friendly, helpful and polite.

Overall and well priced room with a cracking breakfast, didn't get a chance to sample the local ales from the bar which is a shame. Perhaps next time!

• Stayed December 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

lovely rooms above an olde worlde pub , ten minute walk into york city center .
spotlessly clean room , tea and coffee facilities great .
big filling lovely breakfast , and lovely hosts .
would stay again and recommend to anyone, great pub too .

Room Tip: rooms at the back will be quieter , but we were in the front room overlooking the street , and tho...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed for two nights at this fine establishment & will certainly stay again when next in York! Situated just outside the city walls, it's great for public transport, or there is a car park if you drive there. On arrival I was warmly welcomed by the proprietor Tom, as he was running the bar he called his wife Paulina through to show me to my room. A clean warm room with tea & coffee making facilities & complementary toiletries. The bed was a good size & very comfortable. Great choice at breakfast time of either a full cooked breakfast or cereals etc. the pub itself is what a proper pub should be, great ales, plenty of entertainment such as the rarely seen Bar Billiards! On my second evening I had dinner in the pub fantastically home made by Paulina the chips are epic! On checking out I was able to leave my bag behind so I could explore more of York before my journey home.

Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
York, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a great Inn. We popped in for dinner and a pint. Service was attentive, discreet and friendly. And the food.... was just delicious. I had the Chicken of Aragon Pie and my husband had the Venison Pie (Guest Pie of the Week). Both came with a choice of different kinds of mash or chips. This was proper pub food served in an attractive way and we ate every scrap of it, combined with the great selection of hand-drawn ales (Brass Castle's Burn Out Ale was a hit with my other half), lagers (Sagres for me) and Ciders, make this a winner in our book!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas R, Owner at Waggon & Horses, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you very much for a lovely review and some great pictures. There's nothing better than a good pie and a pint and we're glad you liked ours. We hope to see you again.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

Just returned from a weekend break to celebrate my birthday, very friendly and helpful hosts, arrived before booking in time but could still book in so had plenty of afternoon time in York. Breakfast was great and no problems with any request. Rooms were spotlessly clean and good selection on the hospitality tray. It was a pleasure to stay and will be looking to book again

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Been to Waggon & Horses? Share your experiences!