“Delicious food - friendly service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food - friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We visit Le Langhe a few times a year and have always had delicious food.
Our most recent meal - at the end of September - was exceptional. I loved my pasta with pumpkin and goat's cheese; my daughter still talks about her game ragu....and we all want to eat the apple fritters again soon!
We go to Italy regularly and this is the one UK restaurant that produces food of a similar quality to the food we eat in Italy.
We are confused by all the reviews that complain about the service in Le Langhe, which we have always found to be friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

York, United Kingdom
“HOW TO IGNORE BAD SERVICE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The food is of a very high standard; the service is a joke. We will end up losing a great restaurant as Mr J baker of Bistro Moderne will confess that you have to have good front of house. To the Owner do something about it NOW or you will end up like the Great J Baker Closed

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
York, UK
“Enjoyable lunch with friends despite choosing La Langhe.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was curious when my friends told me we were meeting for lunch at La Langhe, an Italian delicatessen in Peasholme Green. Some other friends used to own this building when it was Coward Printers and it was fascinating to see how the former printers had been transformed into a shop and restaurant. The building is lovely, very charming and it was busy even though it was mid week and the greyest of days. We found a table upstairs and there was plenty of space for the four of us. We spent quite a while reading the menu before we could decide what to have. In the end we opted for two of the mixed platters which came with bread (we could have done with more), a meat selection and an assortment of cheese. The food was delicious, very tasty and it was good to try some new flavours. We liked a couple of the cheeses so much we bought some from the shop to take home afterwards. The fruit and grape was particularly good.

I hadn't read any of the reviews on Tripadvisor before visiting La Langhe but I agree with the ones that state the food is excellent but the service poor (even dire). You certainly can't go to La Langhe if you have a bus or train to catch or in your lunch hour!!!! All the waiters seemed very laid back and whilst they half heartedly apologised to us for the delays, there was no sense of urgency or any attempt to compensate us for the very long wait until our food arrived and then between courses. It transpired the lift had broken down but the explanation was poor and the apology somewhat feeble!!!. For dessert the four of us opted for raspberry tart (probably because we couldn't understand the waiter when he told us what the other desserts were) and it was a glorified jam tart. Very disappointing indeed and one friend scarcely touched hers. I had some biscuits among my shopping and we were almost tempted to have these instead. Our cappuccinos were warm but not hot but it was too much trouble to explain the problem to the staff so we drank them anyway. The bill was £60 for the four of us so £15 each. Not expensive but I would have happily paid a little more if it meant better service and proper fruit in the dessert!!

It was great to see my friends again and it is always interesting to try somewhere new. I was enthralled by the building and there is huge potential for this restaurant if it gets its act together. However, I won't go back or recommend the restaurant to others unless Tripadvisor shows there is a great improvement in the service. I can see I am not the first to write this.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
York, United Kingdom
“Food is nice but waiter was very rude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We've been here twice before, the good is lovely as is the deli. However last time we visited York, alebit on a busy Saturday about 2pm we were told that we should of booked. Fair enough but people do not alway book for lunch.

We were then told a table would be free in ten minutes and if we were to wait in the gardens they would let us know. 20 minutes later I asked as was told to wait a little longer as some bookings had just come in.

10 minutes after that I asked and was told they are way to busy and that it would be 30 minutes before we could get a table.

By which time 30 minutes had passed, waiting with our 89 year old granny and 9 month old child to then have to leave and find food elsewhere, really not impressed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
York, Uk
“Excellent Italian restaurant, although it could be improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

First statement: I'm Italian, I'm from the Piemonte (the region where the Langhe are located) and I live in York.
This said, you can imagine that my expectations were quite high when I booked a table at “Le Langhe” in York.
Overall: the food is great and the wine selection is really impressive but there is a “but”. I was expecting some food typical from the Langhe and, although I can’t complain about the food, this restaurant offers some kind of fusion cuisine, a mix of English and Italian. It’s not a complaint, just an observation. It would have been great if, instead of squid and cod that are not typical of the Langhe, the restaurant had proposed some risotto al Barolo (or Barbera or why not a risotto with toma and asparagi?), a leek (or spinach) flan with fonduta and maybe some typical Italian desserts (why not a bunet? it's easy to prepare and very tasty!). I mean, there are many recipes from the Langhe that could fit here in England and please the English taste, why not try them?
About the specific dishes we tried, I have only a few remarks: the squid salad as a starter had too many fennel seeds. The squid has a delicate flavour that was completely overwhelmed by the fennel and this was a pity. The fresh pasta with game ragù was delicious, a must-try, as well as the fois gras (brilliant idea to serve it with a brioche). The wild boar porchetta was a little bit too salty but I liked it, except that, again, there was way too much fennel.

Service was great, there were not too many tables so it felt quiet. It’s a place worth trying.

Prices are in line with the quality of food proposed: £7,50 for the starter and £19,50 for the main.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere