it was my boyfriends birthday so we decided to stay here for a night. Check in is at 3, but we got to York for 2, so wondered if we could check in early. The receptionist was lovely, and let us check in early, even though our room wasn't ready yet. She gave us a welcome letter in an envelope with our name printed on. We said we would go and find a pub and return at 3. She asked if it was our first time in York, and when we said yes she gave us a map. The concierge then took our luggage so we didn't have to take it with us.
We then returned to the hotel just after 3. The receptionist rang housekeeping and asked if our room was ready, she then gave us the keys and told us where the lifts were and said the concierge would bring our bags shortly.
The whole decor of the hotel from the lifts to the lobbys is amazing. When we got to our room (422) we were really surprised. We has booked an Executive Room and it was really big. When you entered the room, there are stairs straight ahead of you, a door on the left and a door on the right, one leading to a sink and toilet, the other leading to a huge bath and sink. The bathroom had speakers in the ceiling so you could listen to music and there was plenty of Molton Brown toiletries, along with fluffly white towels on a warm radiator. When you go up the stairs you are greeted by a kingsize bed, two chairs, a massive window with a veiw of the York Eye, a good sized TV and a desk. On the desk was fruit, a box of fudge and two bottled of flavoured fizzy water. I had requested a box of chocolates for my boyfriends birthday, and they didn't dissapoint. There was a box of chocolate, which was made of chocolate, with chocolates inside! We had only been in the room for about 3 minutes when there was a knock on the door and the concierge appeared with our bags. He was very polite and asked if we would like a cup of tea. we declined as we were getting ready to go to the pubs, and he wished us a good night.
We noticed an envelope had been pushed under the door, and when we opened it, it was a welcome card, wishing us a nice stay, and also saying happy birthday to my boyfriend!
After getting ready in the gorgeous bathroom (a nice touch been a pull out mirror for when putting on make up) we headed down stairs. A man sat opposite reception, we think the head concierge, asked if he could help us. As it was raining quite heavily, we asked if he had any taxi numbers. He then proceeded to ring three different taxi companies until he could get us a taxi within the next 5 minutes.
When we returned back to the hotel after going to plenty of the pubs in York, we headed back to our room where we were really surpised. Housekeeping had been and turned down the bed, leaving two Molton Brown lip balms on the side, along with two bottles of water and a glass on both bedside tables. Perfect for when you are feeling a tad tipsy!
The bed was very comfy and we had a lovely sleep, and the shower was very refreshing the next morning. We checked out at 11, but kept our luggage at the Hotel as were going around York for the day.
Overall we would certainly stay here again, it is well worth the money and nothing is too much trouble for the staff. You get a warm welcome, and couldn't ask for a more pleasent hotel, along with all the little touches, like the card, and the turndown service, there is no room for improvement!
We didn't have any meals here or get chance to explore the spa and pool, but we definetly will next time we visit here!
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Tingo, Travelocity, Orbitz, Otel and Venere so you can book your Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.