“Lovely spacious rooms, efficient service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
STAY LONGER & SAVE MORE
Ranked #3 of 45 hotels in York
Nottingham
“Lovely spacious rooms, efficient service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed in the Cedar Court Grand on a girls weekend away with my sister. We shared a room which was really spacious and comfortable. All of the ceilings in the building and in the bedrooms are incredibly high. It felt like a really grand place to stay and the service was friendly and courteous - I like a hotel that provides bathrobes and slippers in the room, lovely toiletries and offers a turn-down service in the evening!

We didn't try out the spa, we were too busy out shopping and having tea at Betty's which is a good itinerary if you are planning an overnight stay with the girls.

We had a quick G&T in the bar before heading out for a meal elsewhere (Burbridges - lovely) and a night on the tiles in York (Kennedy's Bar - good, closes at 2am; Voodoo - a bit grim but necessary if you still want to dance the night away).

My only nitpicking criticism of the room would be the miniscule sink in the bathroom. For the size of the bathroom and any human staying at the hotel, the sink was too small. I expect it is something to do with the fact that the bathroom was modified to be suitable for any disabled travellers, but I would still value a bigger sink if I was disabled I think. My only nitpicking criticism of the service would be the length of wait to be seated for breakfast on Sunday morning which was about 15 minutes - but the staff dealt with this with wonderfully - so only one star lost.

A lovely hotel in a great location just 5 mins walk from the train station and 5 minutes walk along the amazing city walls to the shops. Perfect for a pampering weekend away with the girls or with your other half.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 106. Lovely and spacious.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
AndreaSCCG, Front Office Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your review of your recent stay with us.

Thank you for taken the time to comment on your room and breakfast experience. You are correct, the smaller size sink was due to the fact that this room has been modified to an accessible room, and I hope it was not too inconvenient.

Please accept our apologies for the wait for breakfast on Sunday morning, however I was delighted that you felt our staff dealt with it wonderfully. Our breakfast timings are extended over the weekend from 7.00am - 10.30am. Understandably, most guests favour a late breakfast on Sunday morning and we find that 09.30am - 10.30am is the most popular time.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

1,878 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I had heard about the Cedar Court Hotel through friends, and we all aspired to try it out. My opportunity arose with a last minute work trip (arriving Sunday) so it was ideal. The Cedar Court is special before you even get inside. Valet parking from polite and very friendly concierge staff, rapid check in and a fabulous old building which has been restored whilst retaining its important history as HQ of the old Great Northern Railway ( I think). It didn't feel like any hotel I had stayed in before. The corridors are grand (you could drive a train along them) with large windows and have retained the cast iron radiators in GNR colours. I had a classic room and it was spectacular both in quality and size. Floor to ceiling windows with high ceilings and superb quality fittings. I wonder what the executive rooms look like?! I lay in bed thinking about all the grubby average hotels in London where I have paid more a night than I was paying here.

I am already planning to go back with my wife and to perhaps make this a regular indulgence because everything about it was a quality experience.

I didn't try the restaurant as I had been booked into a local restaurant for an evening meeting but the rush was tyo get back and enjoy this hotel. A masterpiece. Check out next day was just as smooth and easy as arrival, and my car was waiting outside with the concierge for only a few pounds more tan struggling with bags from the NCP across the road.

Room Tip: They all seem fantastic but there are roadworks 9-5 Mon to Friday so I would avoid the back of the h...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

Fortunately, the roadworks are only temporary and we hope that they will be completed before too long.

Best Wishes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

The hotel has a great character. Much appreciated by a wary traveller. The spa and pool are great. The rooms are large and the location is perfect. I stayed in other York hotels at similar price and the rooms and service was not comparable. A great find in York.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your delightful review on your recent stay at The Grand.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

What a beautiful hotel! It is amazing - had a beautiful stay here, pricey but worth every penny. The service is amazing!
We ate in the Grill room, which lived up to its aim of styling itself on other great hotel grill rooms like the Savoy or the Grosvenor. The food was fabulous - the highlight being the deconstructed tiramisu. Try it - you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: they are all amazing!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear happy75london

Thank you for such wonderful review. We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Grand soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Met an old friend here for a night away from families and a great catch up and the hotel delivered all that we wanted. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable and had enough that was out of the ordinary (fantastic bathroom with underfloor heating and tv sound piped in) to keep us entertained and the spa was great too. The location is perfect for the station and a short walk into the centre of York. It was a perfect place to stay, can't fault it and will be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mrs C

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay, found our staff helpful and friendly and enjoyed the comfortable accommodation.

Best wishes
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Well done to all at Cedar Court Grand Hotel, super hotel. first visited when the hotel opened 2010 and returned to celebrate my husbands birthday November 2012 standards still excellant.Staff could not have been more helpful,food superb room very spacious,great location to explore york.Keep up the good work,thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your marvellous review of your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay as much as the first visit to us in 2010. I will pass on your lovely comments to all our team members as I know they will be as pleased as I am.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel on your next visit to York.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend of pure luxury to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We had a junior suite which was immaculate and decorated in keeping with the fascinating history of the building, Every aspect of your stay is thought about from the valet parking on arrival, easy check in and concierge service to the turning down of your bed, the in room facilities and fantastic food. Our trip was started, after we had been stuck for an hour and a half in traffic to get there, by our concierge, Jonti arranging glases of complementary champagne to be brought our room which was a lovely touch. From there we were given advice on where to eat in the city, the best way to access the sites, outstanding breakfast service to our suite and the food in the Grill, one of the hotels restaurants, was exceptional. The on site Spa offers treatments for everyone and the pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi were a lovely way to finish a chilly afternoon's walk round York and get us ready for our meal. You're less than a 5 minute from the centre of York, the beds are huge and so comfy perfect for unwinding after a day batling the shoppers and sightseeing. The rooms have robes, slippers, irons, hairdryers, gorgeous Moulton Brown shower gel etc, a safe and tea, coffee, cookies and an expresso machine.
The only problem we had was one of the his & hers showers did not work, we reported it to reception who were most apologetic but, my husband being a plumber's merchant, we knew a part would be required so this would not be fixed in our stay. The other shower worked fine, very powerful and the soak in the rolltop bath was heaven. Touches like the underfloor heating in the bathroom and the speaker system so you could listen to the radio whilst in the shower show the thought that has gone in to making your stay so enjoyable.
The price of our weekend was comparable to hiring a cottage in the lakes so for us it was a no brainer, luxury and being treated like royalty wins everytime!
We treated ourselves to the suite and it was worth every penny but I know people who have stayed in the standard rooms who have assured me these are just as well equipped and luxurious, we'll definately be back again hopefully before the next 10 year anniversary!

Room Tip: Junior suites are lovely and the separate seating area means you have the option to eat in your room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your grand review of your recent stay with us.

How wonderful to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and were truly spoilt for your 10th wedding anniversary. We hope you won't have to wait another 10 years for your next visit. I was disappointed to read that the second shower was not working and will have our maintenance team look into this. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

We look forward to seeing you back at The Grand on your next visit.

Best wishes
Andrea Schipper

Been to Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!