“They've got things right” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Luxury For Less
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in York
London, UK
“They've got things right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

For us as a couple, the Cedar Court had everything we wanted for a weekend visit to York. Its position is excellent within a very short walking distance of all the main attractions (you can see the City walls from the windows), extremely comfortable Classic room, a lovely pool which was warm enough even for me! And such friendly, helpful staff. Extremely comfortable beds - we both slept like logs!
Any minor quibble such as fresh milk or how to turn on the heated towel rail in the bathroom were immediately sorted out. And how refreshing to have facilities for fresh filtered coffee in one's bedroom rather than instant.
We ate in the restaurant which was good though it would have been nice to have had another restaurant which was more relaxed and with a lighter menu. That said, sandwiches etc were available in the bar area.
The building itself is the old railway offices and it's worth looking out for some of beautiful art deco handles etc which one will find preserved throughout the building. The pool/spa area is in the vaults - look out for the old vault doors on your way in!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We recently spent a few nights at the Cedar Court and had a great time .
The hotel is well placed in York in walking distance of the town centre.The room was huge and beautifully decorated and had very luxurious bathrooms .(2!)
I liked the filter coffee and top quality biscuits in the room this was a nice touch.

But what was even better was the spa area with a lovely swimming pool and a small but well equipped gym .One of the nicest leisure complexes in a town centre hotel that I have come across

We also enjoyed an evening in the very comfortable bar drinking a few of the whiskies on offer .Excellent bar staff .

The hotel staff were all polite and helpful and friendly and I really felt at home .
Would love to have stayed a bit longer .

• Stayed September 2012
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your time spent in our Spa and our Cocktail Bar.

Thank you also for paying special mention to our dedicated team, who are of course the hotel’s greatest asset.

Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night as an anniversary treat from our children.
The check in was very quick and efficient and we opted for the valet parking for the car.
Our room was very clean and smart, the bathroom was spotless and the huge fluffy towels smothered you.
We went out to a show in the evening, returning at about 22:30, there was a function going on down the corridor from our room on the first floor, lots of people about, but we did not hear them. As we approached our room door we noticed that it was open with the saftey catch pulled accrss so that door was wedged open, the room was in effect open to anyone who wanted to walk in. Nothing was missing from the room and we assumed that it was an oversight when the beds were turned down. I went down to the front desk and spoke to a staff member who said he would inform the Duty Manager, no apology. I am unaware if he did or not as that was the last we heard about it that night.
We had a room overlooking the front of the hotel which is used as a walk way, it was noisy until about 2 am then nice and quiet, a good nights sleep in a comfy bed with a big fluffy duvet.
Breakfast was very tasty, cereal, fresh fruit and a cooked breakfast, as with most things in York, it was expensive at £20 per person.
At check out, on duty was the same person that I had spoken to the night before about the open door, he never mentioned the incident, nor was I asked if we had a good time or enjoyed our stay, we were passed a bill for £60.80, this was two cooked breakfasts, one night in the car park and a newspaper.
When I went to ask for the car to be returned, I was told that if I wanted to leave the car for a few more hours, I could but it would cost me another £8.50 (total cost to leave the car would have been £28.50 for 24 hours), I declined and left. Out of curiosity, I walked across to the NCP car park next to the Hotel, the charge for 24 hour parking would have been £17.50 (I leave other guests to make their own minds up about this one).
We used the pool and Spa area, they were excellent, beautiful pool area, very smart and clean with ultra helpful staff.
All in all and very nice hotel but (as are most things in York) very expensive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Bevergae Operations Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent celebratory stay with us.
I’m pleased you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.

I will pass on all of your comments, both good and bad to our team. We pride ourselves here at The Grand on great customer service and attention to detail so I am sorry that you encountered a few shortfalls during your stay which are not to our usual high and consistent standards.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The first things that struck us as we entered our room (418) was the blast of cold air and patchily stained carpet.
The decor might have been adequate at some point in the past but now looks less than 5 star by a million miles!
The room needs a room key in the door side control box to keep the room heater running (something more commonly found in 3 star hotels?!)
The room was stained, but, clean and so too was the bathroom.
The shower unit looked a bit grotty in places, again not 5 star standard!
Room service was fast, courteous and offered fresh food.
The rooms might be a bit disappointing but the main hotel areas are very much in keeping with a 5 star hotel.
The staff generally tend to be locals and their lovely attitude makes a real difference. The breakfast staff did seem a little 'too helpful' and would have been better if they'd relax a little.
Would we go back?
Those rooms really disappointed us, so no, probably not, but, the competition in York is really poor, leaving very little choice!
No, we'd probably stay slightly further out and taxi in.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent stay with us.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay but naturally disappointed that you did not like your bedroom. I have inspected the room in question you stayed in and haven’t found any stains and the en suite bathroom is immaculate. The Housekeeping standards within the hotel throughout are to a very high standard. I only wish you had spoken direct to a Member of our Team at the time who would have been able to look in to this for you and if necessary move you to an alternative bedroom, possibly even an upgrade.

Learning of such incidents on this forum is disappointing as on behalf of the hotel, I can only extend our apologies on reading this now and that you left feeling let down.
You are correct with regards to the competition in York, however we still remain the only 5 star establishment where we feel both quality and service is unrivalled.

I will be sure to pass on all of your feedback back to our team, both good and bad.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Without question, the property is magnificent! I believe the building was the former headquarters of the National Rail. We booked a total of 5 nights in an executive twin. Our room on the 3rd floor was situated on the West, with a view of the wall and a partial view of the York Wheel. High ceilings, huge bathroom, tastefully and classy furnishings... first class. The water pressure from the shower was wonderful and we always had lots of hot water. The beds were fine, although I suspect for many Europeans the comfort was good. Internet access (complimentary for our room rate) worked well, which we appreciated. Breakfast was wonderful; very nice dining facility. We tried the hot breakfast for an extra 5 pounds... porridge was delicious, scottish pancakes were tasteful and the cooked english breakfast was traditional. We tried room service and we didn't think the food was that great. The chef's special (Chicken Curry Rice) could use more spices and flavor. The service however was impeccable although we wished the food was as good as the breakfast. Location is second to none...VERY close to the train station and close to the town center including the Minster. We will miss this hotel greatly and hope to stay here again in a future visit to York. Most everyone was very nice. Housekeeping including turnover service was great. On a side note, our room had temperature issues, and one of the concierge was gracious enough to lend us a space heater, which made the comfort of our room very nice and warm. Thank you Cedar Court Grand and staff for making our visit a memorable one. We didn't try the spa but the services offered looked wonderful!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom and breakfast.
Thank you also for paying kind words to our dedicated team, who are undoubtedly the hotel’s best asset!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night, found the location to the city centre to be fantastic. Easy spot to base yourself from. Staff were friendly especially concierge. Room was very spacious and clean. For the rates we payed it is what you would expect so we were very pleased. Did not eat in the hotel as we found it easier to go out. The restaurant looked nice but breakfast at $25 each is too much!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed most aspects of your stay throughout.

Our Breakfast buffet compromises of fresh local seasonal produce and to a very high standard. We regularly receive praise from our guests on the breakfast offering. The pricing of our food and beverage, we feel is competitive in light of the surrounding area and calibre of Hotel that we are. Obviously there are more cost effective establishments in the city centre and we can appreciate that some of our guests may prefer to explore this option.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I came here to celebrate my 30th birthday here with my Partner, we were both extremely dissapointed with it. Yes its a nice hotel but there were other things that werent... Like when we arrived on Saturday afternoon we were told we had to give a credit card (which we dont have) or pay £100 up front which was refundable the day after you leave. We were not aaware of this and this was the start to a bad weekend due to my partner drawing all his cash out and me only having that amount in my account therefore I had no money to spend.. Also went for breakfast the next morning we paid for Bed and Continental Breakfast which was an extra £15 each to include the Breakfast.... Once sat down we were offered fruit cereal and crossaints neither of us eat these we just wanted a cooked breakfast... The waitress then gave us a menu (with no prices on) and we both got a cooked breakfast each which wasn't the best in the world... We were never offered the Turn Down Service The tiles in the bathroom had mould on them it had wet dirty patches on the ceiling.. Once leaving I asked for my £100 to be refunded and was told they would only refund £90 due to being charged £5 each for the breakfast so all in all our breakfast cost £20 each which is riddiculous very unhappy with the way I was dealt with by the reception staff overall very dissappointed

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest

It’s a great shame to read that you had a negative experience with us. What’s even a greater shame is that from reading what you have said, you haven’t received any shortfalls in service.
Everything you have mentioned is standard procedure and is enjoyed and appreciated by the vast vast majority of guests who stay here, as you will see from the reviews on this forum.
To explain to you in a little more detail to give you some understanding:

Credit / Debit Card Pre-authorisation - This is a practice that you will find in all hotels across the world, that a form of payment is established upon check in. Given the recent changes in the law and banks procedures regarding credit card thefts/frauds as much as it does not completely fit in with hospitality service, it is a protection for both Hotels and Guests.

Breakfast – when making your reservation, you had obviously booked a “Continental Breakfast” package as stated by yourself, hence why you would have been charged a supplement for cooked breakfast you ordered and rightly so. Our Breakfast buffet compromises of fresh local seasonal produce and to a very high standard and the selection is very reasonable (you wouldn’t have been just offered fruit, cereal and croissants). We regularly receive praise from our guests on the breakfast offering. Again, I'm disappointed that you do not share this opinion.
We offer 3 types of accommodation packages 1) room only, 2) Room and Continental breakfast and 3) Room and Full English Breakfast. This is to give all of our guests a choice of which they would prefer which we feel is a sensible offering which caters to the needs of a variety of guests with different requirements. Should any guest whish to upgrade on the day. then naturally a supplement charge is applied for this.

The pricing of our food and beverage (which is stated on all of our menus), we feel is competitive in light of the surrounding area and calibre of Hotel that we are. Obviously there are more cost effective establishments in the city centre and we can appreciate that some of our guests may prefer to explore this option.

Housekeeping – Our turndown service is inclusive for all guests and therefore not offered or mentioned upon arrival. Unless a “do not disturb” sign is hung outside the door, all rooms are serviced in the evening (turn down).

All of our bathrooms are only 2 years old, so i think it is highly unlikely that any bathroom would have mould, especially as they are serviced daily. However, should you wish to share your room number with me, I’d be only too happy to inspect this myself. You can contact me direct at graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk

Again from reading what you have said, I honestly don’t think our Reception Team are at fault for anything and I perhaps think it’s a case that you did not appreciate having to pay for the service you had and it was the Receptionist who would have confirmed these charges to you which you have clearly taken objection to.

Graeme Clark

Been to Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!