“Not quite the 5 star hotel I was hoping.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Luxury For Less
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in York
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Not quite the 5 star hotel I was hoping.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We booked an executive double at this hotel because I had vouchers from work and wanted it to be a great trip for my partners birthday. I ordered her a gift package of Champagne, Strawberries and a card for when we arrived. The reservation team emailed me asking for her name to put on the card, which I confirmed to them two hours before check- in was open.
We were so pleased the hotel was close to the train station. We checked in fine and was shown up to our room. The room was big and spacious with plenty of storage, nice and clean and the bathroom was as I requested (walk in shower). We noticed there was no Ipod docking station, apparently they are only available for the suites and penthouse- little odd for a 5 star hotel but oh well, we made do with the BBC radio stations on the tv that had limted channels and the most annoying remote control ever known to man. I presented my partner the gift package and she was very pleased. The moment would have been fantastic and I would have earnt great points for being thoughtful. However, the strawberries were green and the card was made out to me! Even if the person who wrote the card did not know my partners name, why on earth would they write it out for me? I ordered it. Common sense tell you to leave the name blank if you do not know the actual birthday girls name.
The heated floor in the bathroom would not work nor would the heated towel rail. Until we put the air con on and realised the air con had to be on for the heated ammenities to work- again, odd!
We explored to the basement and found the swimming pool, sauna, hot tub and steam room. All very clean and lovely. Hot tub was cold though, which is also odd for a spa.
Our first night in the hotel was uncomfortable we discovered in the morning that the 'double' bed we ordered was acually two singles pushed together, but one was higher than the other! I came down in the morning to speak to the reception, but we were in a rush and there was a queue. We had appointments all day and couldn't speak to reception till the evening which I understand is late. The receptionist, although polite and friendly didn't really help. She had only been in the hotel for a month and said she did not know all the processes yet. I agreed to come down in the morning. I met with the day manager, who seemed not to believe me about the strawberries (until I showed him the leftovers which were still in my room two days later). He offered to upgrade us to a full suite- with i pod docking station (only after I requested it). He also offered me 2.50 off of my gift package for the strawberries- 2.50 off of a 45.00 package, I told him it was an insult, he then offered 5.00! I do understand that I should have complained straght away and then maybe things would have been better. But I still can't get over the fact that the full suite we were upgraded to, still had two single beds pushed together and the bathroom sink tap wouldn't cool down enough to be cold water.
I am just a disappointed, I was told all 5 star hotels were going that way (with the beds) if that is the case, you can keep your 5 star hotels.
It was my first trip to York, it was meant to be special instead I am just regretting my choice in hotel so much it is clouding my memories of the trip. On the last night we cameback after dinner and watched some tv we ordered four drinks: 2 Diet cokes and two Caiprinha cocktails. The cocktails are delicious the diet cokes were in bottles of 200ml. These four drinks came to £52! I am just shocked to have spent so much money and be equally disappointed.
Never again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Romford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

can`t fault it , slightly expensive but you get what you pay for, a lovely room fantastic attentive service in a perfect location for exploring york

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to post you feedback following you recent stay with us.

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay throughout and that the service you received was attentive. As you have rightly commented, we are lucky enough to have an excellent location - a 10 minute walk from the city centre and only a few hundred yards to the main train station. With summer fast approaching and the race season upon us, we are also only 5 minutes by car from York Race Course.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed overnight with my husband for a short city break away. Upon arrival the valet came to park our car for us and brought in our cases, we booked a double classic and were upgraded to the executive suit no charge. Friendly and very helpful staff. Room was out of this world and exceptionally clean, complementary drinks sent so our room on arrival. Fantastic room with Molton brown products in bathroom,even had our bed turned down with a lip balm placed on my pillow. Personal touches throughout our stay we felt like royalty. Would stay again and again and would recommend this hotel over and over. Could not recommend highly enough.... Should be six stars.

• Stayed April 2012
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout , in particular your bedroom and the personal touches made by our team.

redcar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

This hotel was wonderful from start to finish, we had a lovely welcome from the reception staff and the concierge. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful well worth its five stars, but the twin room we stayed in was amazing with every luxery provided. I have stayed in a five star hotel before but Cedar Court was so much better, I can't wait to go back

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout , in particular your bedroom.

Thank you also for paying special mention to our team who are of course the hotel’s greatest asset. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to them.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Cedar Court over the Easter Weekend for 3 nights. The hotel is stunning! It has all modern comforts but the building has retained its old world glamour and charm. The executive room we stayed in was gorgeous (especially the Molton Brown "turn down" touches), as was the spa and lounge areas. We requested the "room service" menu in the lounge area one night, and were told it was not a problem. Check out was quick, considering it was a Bank Holiday Monday, and again the concierge were all very efficient. I would certainly stay in this hotel again, as it was such a refreshing change to stay in a hotel which is quiet and luxurious with staff who are willing to look after you as in days gone by, with politeness and respect, yet not an ounce of stuffiness. Anyone who finds fault with this hotel is looking for things to find. I always find if you are polite with people, and treat them as you would like to be treated, they will be the same back.

Room Tip: You are advised when booking direct with the hotel, that due to the position of the hotel, there isn...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout , in particular the amenities in your bedroom and your time spent in our Cocktail Bar.

I particularly like you final comment regarding guest relations, here here!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

This hotel is fabulous. The environment is relaxed but luxurious. The staff incredibly attentive and anticipating of every need. We were astounded to find that we had been upgraded to a deluxe room, a room that was akin to a penthouse suite. Beautiful, spacious, comfortable and luxurious. The concierge team were wonderful throughout our stay, providing information regarding the local area right through to arranging a wonderful meal for us at a local Italian restaurant later that evening. The reception staff were so warm and welcoming with the most sincere smiles and willingness to assist. The spa, a wonderful place to relax. Attention to detail was highly evident as presentation of the accommodation both within and outside of the guest bedrooms was exceptional and representative of a highly skilled housekeeping team. The same quality of service was evident during breakfast where attention to detail was high without becoming invasive. Without doubt we will return to this fabulous hotel. Our experience was outstanding.

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and I’m glad you appreciated your bedroom, along with the entire service you received during your stay.

Kenilworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a classic double. We arrived at about 11am hoping to leave our bags ready to check in at 3pm, we were pleased that the room was already ready for us. The room was beautiful, high ceilings, big windows and plenty of room. The only thing was the position of the sockets and mirrors, there was a move able mirror so I still managed to do my hair!

We had pre-booked treatments in the spa for the afternoon and I left feeling like a princess! After a relaxing time in the spa we headed to the hotel bar and then restaurant. The food was the quality you would expect in a hotel like this, I had duck which was perfect. I would recommend listening to the wine waiter, he knows what hes talking about and we had a lovely bottle which worked perfectly with our meal.

The next morning we went for a swim, jacuzzi, sauna and steam which is a great way to start a morning. It was quiet between 8-9am, it was busier with families when I returned around 5pm later that day, but you'd expect that.

All in all, this is the place you would stay for a special occasion, its a place to be made to feel special by the staff and the beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and took the opportunity to visit our Spa & award winning Grill Room Restaurant.

Thank you for paying special mention to our team and in particular our Trainee Sommelier Christopher Long. I will be sure to pass on your kind words.

Graeme Clark

Been to Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!