We booked an executive double at this hotel because I had vouchers from work and wanted it to be a great trip for my partners birthday. I ordered her a gift package of Champagne, Strawberries and a card for when we arrived. The reservation team emailed me asking for her name to put on the card, which I confirmed to them two hours before check- in was open.
We were so pleased the hotel was close to the train station. We checked in fine and was shown up to our room. The room was big and spacious with plenty of storage, nice and clean and the bathroom was as I requested (walk in shower). We noticed there was no Ipod docking station, apparently they are only available for the suites and penthouse- little odd for a 5 star hotel but oh well, we made do with the BBC radio stations on the tv that had limted channels and the most annoying remote control ever known to man. I presented my partner the gift package and she was very pleased. The moment would have been fantastic and I would have earnt great points for being thoughtful. However, the strawberries were green and the card was made out to me! Even if the person who wrote the card did not know my partners name, why on earth would they write it out for me? I ordered it. Common sense tell you to leave the name blank if you do not know the actual birthday girls name.
The heated floor in the bathroom would not work nor would the heated towel rail. Until we put the air con on and realised the air con had to be on for the heated ammenities to work- again, odd!
We explored to the basement and found the swimming pool, sauna, hot tub and steam room. All very clean and lovely. Hot tub was cold though, which is also odd for a spa.
Our first night in the hotel was uncomfortable we discovered in the morning that the 'double' bed we ordered was acually two singles pushed together, but one was higher than the other! I came down in the morning to speak to the reception, but we were in a rush and there was a queue. We had appointments all day and couldn't speak to reception till the evening which I understand is late. The receptionist, although polite and friendly didn't really help. She had only been in the hotel for a month and said she did not know all the processes yet. I agreed to come down in the morning. I met with the day manager, who seemed not to believe me about the strawberries (until I showed him the leftovers which were still in my room two days later). He offered to upgrade us to a full suite- with i pod docking station (only after I requested it). He also offered me 2.50 off of my gift package for the strawberries- 2.50 off of a 45.00 package, I told him it was an insult, he then offered 5.00! I do understand that I should have complained straght away and then maybe things would have been better. But I still can't get over the fact that the full suite we were upgraded to, still had two single beds pushed together and the bathroom sink tap wouldn't cool down enough to be cold water.
I am just a disappointed, I was told all 5 star hotels were going that way (with the beds) if that is the case, you can keep your 5 star hotels.
It was my first trip to York, it was meant to be special instead I am just regretting my choice in hotel so much it is clouding my memories of the trip. On the last night we cameback after dinner and watched some tv we ordered four drinks: 2 Diet cokes and two Caiprinha cocktails. The cocktails are delicious the diet cokes were in bottles of 200ml. These four drinks came to £52! I am just shocked to have spent so much money and be equally disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Priceline, Hotel.de, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa