“Fantasic for a few days in York!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel & Spa

You added The Grand Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   | Station Rise, York YO1 6HT, England (Formerly Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Spa&DineTwilight Package
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in York
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sunderland
“Fantasic for a few days in York!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and booked up 2 suites. The rooms are absolutely fantasic and the hotel is superb. Not a fault during our stay and would deffinately return. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind feedback following your stay at The Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, York. I’m glad our Suites were to your liking and there was not a single fault throughout your stay. This is exactly what we aim to achieve so thank you for recognising this.

On behalf of all the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My husband surprised me with a 2 night break at this lovely hotel as a birthday treat. I have to say the location was really good, the city walls were just out the front door and York town centre a 5 minute walk away. The building itself was lovely and the room we stayed in was beautiful, but my stay was made really special by the staff, from the very helpful and smart front door staff (who provided accurate weather forecasts and the offer of umbrellas!) to the sommelier and restaurant waiting staff. The restaurant meal was outstanding and breakfast just as good. I would recommend this hotel as a luxury treat to anyone and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great report from your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that all areas met your expectations and that you enjoyed your birthday weekend throughout.

I’ll be sure to pass on your kind words to our team who always appreciate positive recognition such as this.

Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Just arrived home from a stay at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel ! We travelled there for a treat for my Husbands birthday and it didn't dissapoint! The Spa is beautiful and has a real nice feel to it. Staff were plesant and helpfull. We had a room on the second floor which was nice and spacious however it was quite noisy from the drinkers outside up untill about 2:30am. So would advise to ask for a room at the front of the hotel or on a higher floor! The room was also quite hot even with the aircon turned down to the lowest setting. The only other niggle was there was no milk in the room (you had to call for it) I don't understand why they can't leave it in the fridge of the minibar if they want to keep it fresh! We had afternoon tea which was nice and on the evening sampled Champagne cocktails in the bar which were delicious. All in all a nice hotel and will proberbly return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent feedback from your stay at The Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa, York.

I’m delighted you were able to visit our Spa during your stay and that your bedroom was to your liking. It’s great to read also that you had time for Afternoon Tea and Champagne in the bar.

With the hotel’s close proximity to the City Centre, it is on rare occasion that some minor outside noise does seep through. Our security team over night will always manage this to the best of their ability.

Air Conditioning in all of our bedrooms is also centrally controlled to stay in line with our green energy systems that we have in place. The temperature can be manually adjusted from cool to warm from within each individual bedroom, however had you brought this to our attention at the time; we could have made the necessary adjustments for you.

With regards to the milk, we do indeed provide milk on our Tea and Coffee trays. The Mini Bars within the bedrooms which chill the drinks are coolers and not fridges so fresh milk cannot be stored in them as it unfortunately doesn’t stay fresh for long (see previous guest trip advisor comments relating to this). We have therefore adjusted this offering with cards in the rooms so Fresh Milk can be swiftly brought to a bedroom on a guests’ request.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand , York in the future.

Hull United kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We arrived at another hotel in the City to find that there had been an error in the booking date at that Hotel. The manager of the Hotel rang round to find alternative accommodation for us. The Cedar Court offered us a room at £415.00 per night or £215.00 per night. We accepted the £215.00 per night as all else was full. We ended up in the disabled ground floor room, which had not been mentioned when we booked (this room also mentioned in other reviews). Very noisy for quite some time late at night - avoid the ground floor. Nowhere to put your suitcase except the bed or the floor. No hooks on doors for raincoat or dressing gown. The room was very nicely appointed and the bathroom very large with walk in shower- taps could be confusing.
No Hotel information pack in the room regarding meal times, check out time, use of the spa etc. etc.
Drawback was the wash basin too small to fill the kettle, in fact too small to wash in (no bottled water for the kettle as promised in one of the review responses!) There was no where for the wash bags except for the bath side several feet away from the washbasin. No plug for the basin - a concern for me as I wear washable contact lenses, no plug was provided inspite of requests. Glasses in the bathroom at the side of the WC which had no lid, not good sanitation practice. No tissues provided in the room.
I was charged £30.00 for a large whiskey and a brandy in the bar. I commented on this at check out. I was told it was special whiskey and that the bill was correct, but I pointed out it was a standard single malt. Eventually, I felt reluctantly, the receptionist went away to check. She returned and I was told this was an overcharge error by the barman (a casual £15.00 error)!! I was also charged an expensive £15.00 for valet parking, again a charge not mentioned when I booked the room. An attempt was made to surcharge me for A Full English breakfast (nothing to get excited about, very indifferent bacon and eggs etc.), again no mention at booking of this. That charge was also cancelled. Charges for items in the room bar were high and it was not clear if the chocolate, brandy and wine on the same shelf as the tea coffee were free with the tea or coffee or not.
To add insult to injury I have come home to find, on the Internet, that the disabled room appears to normally be charged out at about £125.00 I really do feel that not only did they attempt to rip me off regarding drinks, breakfast and parking, but that they succeeded with the room charge.
The staff were all very attentive, pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: not room 14
Dear Guest

I am most disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay and it’s a great shame that you did not bring the above to the attention of the Duty Manager at the time or indeed contact myself direct (e-mail address displayed on past Trip Advisor responses) as I believe we could have managed the above which I can assure you would have resulted in a positive outcome.
I will respond to your comments in brief, however if you would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Firstly, I’m pleased we were able to accommodate you last minute after you were booked out of a neighbouring competitor Hotel. We were ourselves almost full on the night of your stay, hence why you were probably allocated one of our bedrooms which is also suitable for disabled guests. It is unfortunate the you were disturbed by noise from outside the hotel. As I have explained on previous Trip Advisor responses, this is out of our control and our Security Team in place do their best to manage this.

Bottled water is purposely placed next to the kettle in disabled bedrooms as the purpose designed disabled sinks are indeed too small for the kettle to fit under.

All charges are indeed communicated at arrival, so I am surprised to hear that this was not the case on your visit. The charges however are indeed mentioned in our in room guests directories which was unfortunately absent from your bedroom. This was unfortunately removed recently from the bedroom by a previous guest and of course subsequently charged for. We are currently awaiting a delivery of some replacements. I do hope this didn’t hinder your stay too much and our helpful team were able to advise restaurant, spa opening times etc to you.

With regards to your whisky charge, I have your paperwork in front of me and your signature is on the bar docket which is why this charge was put through and displayed on your final invoice on departure. My apologies if the barman made a human error when charging this, unfortunately this can happen and I am pleased this was quickly rectified by one of our Front Office Team

The Valet parking charge you mention is not the case. We valet park guests’ vehicles at no additional cost as part of our service. The £15.00 charge is the NCP charge which regrettably we do have to pass on. Again, I have mentioned this regularly on past Trip Advisor responses.

The chocolate, brandy and wine is indeed detailed and priced in our Mini Bar menu which sits next to the coffee and tea tray which you correctly observed.

What does disappoint me the most is the accusation of trying to “rip you off” which is categorically not the case at all. The luxury Hotel only in its second year and situated in one of England’s most Iconic cities is we feel competitive with rival hotels in the surrounding area, yet we offer a higher standard of service and have additional facilities that most of York’s 4* hotels do not possess.

Naturally, accommodation rates vary on the internet, as they would do on anything else hospitality related which is of course is governed by seasonality and availability.

The other matters which you have also highlighted will be addressed by our team as a matter of urgency. My thanks again for highlighting these and taking your time in giving us your feedback.

Hamilton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We recently stayed two nights at the Cedar Court for a girls weekend in York. The hotel is located about a 5 minute walk from the railway station and is very handy for the city shopping and sights. The entrance foyer and bar areas are beautiful as is the pool area with the spa. We treated ourselves to some treatments while we stayed and the staff at the spa were pleasant and professional. We did not eat in the hotel, except for breakfast which was good, but we did enjoy a cocktail in the bar.

We were in room 109, which looks out onto the service yard - so not great. There was no mirror that was handy for drying hair and the milk in the fridge was off. This was replaced very quickly and when we noticed there was no remote for the TV that was also brought quickly, however for a five star hotel I would have expected these details to have been checked.

So, a note to the management. The hotel is fantastic but you need to pay more attention to the details to be worth the five star rating.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, York.

I’m pleased that during your stay, yourself and your party were able to indulge yourselves with Spa treatments and then Cocktails in the bar.

It’s a little shame that the view from your particular bedroom wasn’t appealing. The vast majority of our bedrooms look out on to York City and some with views of the City Wall and a few of York Minster. Naturally when the hotel is very busy, we cannot always give our guests the views they may desire, however we would always do our best where possible.

Thank you for pointing out the small issues you encountered in your bedroom. We are currently addressing all of the above so I can assure you it is in hand.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Had the best experience ever. Great hotel, lovely staff, lovely food and you got to try the yummy cocktails. A must stay if you’re going to York!!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive feedback from your recent stay at The Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, York.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your visit to us throughout and also had the pleasure of sampling some of our cocktails in our bar.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us again.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

Rooms are light and spacious. Beds and bedding comfortable. Great TV. Lifts function well. Receptionists very helpful. Food excellent quality for tours and good choices available. Very speedy and efficient service. A great hotel in every way and nicely situated.

Room Tip: rooms on upper floors quieter if parties in hotel
Stayed May 2011
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments from your recent stay at The Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, York.
I’m pleased that our beds which are covered with the finest quality Egyptian linen were to your liking and that you appreciated the plasma wide screen TV’s which we have in all of our 107 bedrooms.

Thank you also for pointing out that the hotel is well situated. Just a few hundred yards from the main station, River Ouse and City Wall we are also just a short walk away from the main City Centre where one can take advantage of shopping amongst cobbled streets and pay a visit to a selection of attractions (The Minster, York Dungeons, River Boat tours and Ghost Walks to name but a few).

We look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Been to The Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!