“Just Great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in York
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Just Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

To organize a international seminar with 50 people is challenging.
Cedar Court Hotel knew how to make it great.

Cleanness of the rooms
Kindness and availability of people
Quality of the premises including pool, food and location.

As a Top Manager in Customer Relationship for a premium and global brand, my expectations were high.

They were satisfied. Bravo!

It was a great experience that deserves a positive and sincere feedback.

Pierre D From Nespresso International

Room Tip: Good standard
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
graemeclark83, Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review of The Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa. It’s great to read that our Conference and Banqueting team excelled in meeting the groups requirements and that our entire product from bedrooms to the Spa to our food met all of your high expectations.

The entire team at The Cedar Court Grand work closely together to ensure that we deliver a attentive, personal and professional service from start to finish and it is extremely self rewarding for all concerned when such great feedback is received.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on what I hope will be many a future occasion.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We loved it service was great without being pretentious. Surrounding were very stylish and loved the old fixtures from the existing buliding. Room was very spaciousb with sitting area - most comfy bed I have ever had. All fixtures very high quality.
Breakfast superb buttery croissants high quality cheeses tasty fruits. The hotel bars are comfortable relaxing and welcoming the waiters friendly and recommending drinks. A short walk fron station and into town. Also had fab curry just around the corner looks a little shabby but great food red door just through old black gates.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review of our hotel. I am delighted that the original fixtures and fittings of the building were to your taste and that you found our bar so comfortable.

The food, beverage and service is something the hotel of course prides itself greatly on as after all, is the bread and butter of what we do so it’s great to hear that all of our teams efforts shone through during your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa in the not too distant future.

East Yorks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Got a good deal on TravelZoo, so decided to book a couple of nights for a treat. We were a little early for check in so headed to the bar - we were the only two in, ordered a cocktail each, but still the service was extremely slow. The bar/lounge area is cram packed full of sofas and armchairs - we felt like we were in a DFS showroom!

Our room (422) Exec double, was spacious. Stairs lead up to the bed/seating area. The first thing I noticed though was a hole right in the middle of the duvet cover, and on pulling the duvet back, noticed four more rips on the underside!

There was a separate shower/bathroom and toilet room. On each occasion my husband took a shower though, the water was piping hot and the temp did not seem to turn down. I used to bath, but the shower screen was fixed to the bath, so this made it difficult to reach round to press the plug in. Bit mean on the toiletries - only one very small bottle of shower/bath gel, which didn't go far. Made a hot drink in room - but no milk on tray! .

Although there is a turn down service, no one came to our room. We reported it next morning, and we were told we had to request it when we checked in - no one mentioned that to us, but the room was refreshed the second night. Also had a visit from Housekeeping to check the bed linen, they apologised for state of duvet and gave us a little complimentary bag of luxury toiletries - nice touch.

Saving grace of this hotel are the excellent cooked breakfasts, and the hotels' great location for the town centre - Akbars (Indian), and Piccolinos (Italian) restaurants are both very good and only a few minutes walk away.

This hotel lacks any atmosphere. The bar was always empty, very quiet music playing - more like a waiting room really, it did not have that romantic, luxury, 5-star feel about it. This is an expensive hotel to stay in - so unless there was an extremely good deal on offer, we wouldn't choose to stay again.

Dear Guest

Thank you for bringing the above to my attention. The luxury Egyptian bed linen used in all 107 bedrooms of the hotel is usually to a very high standard and this is the first quality issue that I have been made aware of. The torn linen in your bedroom unfortunately must have slipped through the net so to speak which of course should not have been allowed to happen so please accept my apologies for this.

With regards to the hot water, the Hotel Management was not aware of any plumbing issues, however we have since checked this room and not found any irregularities. Had of course you mentioned this at the time, our team would have gladly assisted, and would have also given you some additional complimentary Molton Brown toiletries. I’m pleased that our Housekeeping department were able to provide this the following day when you mentioned it.
Our turn down service is something that is offered to all of our guests on check in, so again I can only apologise that this was missed on the 1st night of your stay.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed our Yorkshire cooked breakfast, something the hotel prides itself on using only local fresh produce.

It’s a shame that the bar was empty whilst you were enjoying your drinks, but pleased that as a result of this you would have received exclusive service. We have received a lot of compliments through all channels, especially Trip Advisor since opening in May 2010 with regards to the restoration of the building which is Grade II listed. All public areas boast original early 20th century fixtures and fittings and are full of quirky characteristics, so I am disappointed that the traditional decor and style of the bar surroundings was not to your personal taste.

May I take this opportunity to thank you once again for your feedback and please rest assured I will be following up the shortfalls you have highlighted.
In the mean time, I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future, as we strive for perfection and aim to be York’s 1st 5* hotel.

norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

This is the first time ever I stayed in hotel room without asking for my room to be changed. Yes, some might call me fussy, I just think I work hard for my money and want to receive what the marketing promises and believe me this hotel does in heaps!
From the first moment you arrive you feel special, the team are a dream, smiling and attentive and the spec is second to none.
Our room was beautiful, perfect really with wonderful decor and loads of room in our executive room. It's true that second glazing may have helped the old sash windows better manage the occassional noise from passing-by late night revellers.
The spa was empty in the early afternoon so we had the place to ourselves - wonderful.

Room Tip: Get out early to walk the city wall (2 miles)
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful comments on The Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa. I’m thrilled that we met your high expectations and that you recognised the attentiveness, professionalism and passion of our team.

I am again pleased that one of our executive bedroom was to your liking. No expense was spared in the design and decor of the rooms which has resulted in high volumes of positive feedback from our guests.

Unfortunately due to the proximity of the city centre, on occasions some noise can be heard from certain areas in the building. Secondary glazing is something that is already being looked at and I have no doubt will be installed in the near future.

Thanks again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Cedar Court Grand in the not too distant future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011 via mobile

Took my wife to cedar court for birthday.
We arrived early pm and were informed the valet parking attendant was away and to just "park anywhere?".
There was building work opposite the hotel so parking was a nightmare, we checked in and left luggage in reception. Arrived back later and were taken to room, nice room, well finished with Sep wetroom and bath, very clique!
Had a few champagne cocktails in whiskey bar, excellent service!!
Breakfast good, but £15. Per head, £15 parking charge also. Overall good service but little overpriced and building noise awoke us at 7am

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your experiences during your stay at The Cedar Court Grand.
I am extremely disappointed to hear that you experienced a negative start to your stay. I have spoken to all of our Valet drivers who were as disappointed as both you and I that this happened as this is certainly not to our usually very high standards.

I’m pleased that the bedroom was to your liking. We receive a lot of positive feedback from guests commenting on our luxurious rooms that were completed not yet a year ago.
Again, it was nice to read that you enjoyed a section of cocktails in our bar. Our willing and enthusiastic team are what make the guests experience so enjoyable and once again they rightfully deserve the plaudits here.

With regards to our car park charging, as mentioned in previous Trip Advisor responses, the charge is simply what the NCP car park adjacent to our building charges the hotel, and therefore regrettably we do have to pass this charge on. Again as part of our standards, all guests are made aware of this charge through booking confirmation and on arrival. With the Hotel being located in the city centre parking unfortunately is out of our control when it comes to cost.

I am pleased that you took the option of our Full Yorkshire Breakfast, which we feel is good value for money and competitive.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

I booked to stay at The Grand after reading tripadvisor and some of the wonderful comments. However nobody has yet mentioned the building site directly opposite the hotel and outside our bedroom window. We were woken early morning by builders putting up scaffolding which I've been told they will be working on for up to 6 months by one of the hotel staff. We weren't the only ones to complain so make sure you don't have a room at the fron of the hotel unless your in to early mornings and builders bums. Apart from that the hotel gave us what we were after but beware of the extra overnight parking charges and breakfast supplement if you like a good old fashioned fry up. Reception staff were very good and handled my complaint very well.

Dear Guest,

I am disappointed to read that the maintenance work being carried out opposite the hotel proved a hindrance to your stay. I can confirm there is currently a project which is taking place, however since work started several weeks ago, there has been minimal disruption as only painting work has begun. I do agree that it would have been unfortunate that the scaffolding was erected during your stay, hence causing some noise. The Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa are working very closely with the contractors to ensure that minimum disruption is caused for our guests. The earliest at which any work will start is 9am (Monday – Friday) with no work being carried out at weekends.

As part of the service we offer, our concierge will happily park vehicles when guests arrive at the main entrance to the hotel. All vehicles are then securely parked at the NCP car park adjacent to us. The charge is simply what the NCP charges the hotel, and therefore regrettably we do have to pass that charge on. Again as part of our standards, all guests are made aware of this charge at the time of booking and on arrival.

I am pleased to see that you took the option of upgrading your breakfast package from our Continental Selection to a Full Cooked Yorkshire. We offer different breakfast packages to our guests and we are happy to deliver any upgrades requested on the day. Obviously a small charge will be administered if an upgrade is requested.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Words fail me,on how wonderful this hotel is. Everyone made us feel so very welcome and its true.........everyone "up north" is so much friendlier.
Nothing is too much trouble and they made my 50th birthday very special,even down to when i was opening my cards in one of the lounges,presenting me with a glass of champange. :O))
Don't want to go home (yes,here till tomorrow but could'nt wait to write this).
My birthday (5th April) has been the best ever. XX

Room Tip: Walk the town wall and visit York Minster.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking time out of your stay with us to post such a wonderful review of your stay and I am so glad you enjoyed your 50th Birthday celebrations with us and singled out the team as being a big part of that.

I do hope it won't be long before we can welcome you back to The Grand in the future.

Scot Turner

Been to Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!