“Lovely food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
York
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My partner and I enjoyed a meal here for a celebration - it had been a long time since I last visited and I was pleased with the evening. The starters were excellent (a minor gripe was the very under-ripe tomatoes on the mozzarella and tomato salad - but that seems to be the case everywhere I have eaten this dish aside, expect in Italy!). I had king prawns in mild curry sauce with rice which was lovely and my partner had steak which he declared very well cooked (rare). The wine was also very good indeed. Overall, a lovely meal, albeit a little pricey. Whilst this in part reflects the dishes we chose (there were many cheaper ones on the menu), I would say that £20 for 5 prawns was on the steep side even though they were very tasty! I would certainly go back and I think it is one of those restaurants that cater to local people rather than just trying to impress visitors for one-off visits without worrying about repeat business.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Overcooked pasta”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Wife and I had a diner at little Italy last November on her birthday. I had misto di pesce. (pasta with seafood) Pasta was over cooked and seafood taste like only wine .I never taste Italian food like this before.Never ever try this place again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
York, United Kingdom
“Just Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

A one off restaurant, as opposed to a chain. Good food and good service. The pizzas are especially nice.

Visited October 2012
Carlsbad, California
“21 years and doing it so right!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our first rule, if there is an Italian Deli that has a restaurant connected to it, IT WILL BE GOOD!. Second rule, when you walk through the door and it smells heavenly, it will be! Little Italy met these 2 rules of ours and it didn't disappoint. Thankfully, we got there when the dinner seating was about to start, so they were able to seat us, but MAKE Reservations. We were also told it was the last night they were open for 2 weeks, they force all the employees to take a vacation once a year, no matter what. Everything we had was delicious, and everything we saw going out looked great. Also, I noticed there were no bus-boys. Everyone worked together helping on each others tables, a real team work ethic. The owners are doing everything right! Its no wonder they have been there for over 21 years.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“Perfect meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We ate at Little Italy on Saturday 19th Jan,we were really lucky to get a table as we hadn't thought to book in advance . We had to wait 10 minuets in the downstairs deli while a table came free, this wasn't a problem as we were given menus and served drinks whilst we waited. Our meal was perfect from start to finish, beautifully presented and equally well cooked food. The service was faultless,professional but not at all pretentious. It's a treat to be seved by staff that enjoy what they do and were keen to inform us that everything is home made from the fresh pasta to the delicious tiramisu. All in all a perfect meal and a great find, we will be back next time we're in York and we've already recommend to all our friends!

• 5 of 5 stars Food