“Excellent value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carlton Tavern

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Carlton Tavern
You added Carlton Tavern to your Saves list
140 Acomb Road, York YO24 4HA, England   |
Ranked #150 of 213 York B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed here for one night and were very impressed for the price. It's cheaper than any hostels or hotels in the area by quite a significant margin. We also stayed in room 3 (same as both of the other reviews here). Very good size bedroom and bathroom. It wasn't spotless but it was certainly clean enough. It is about a 15 minute walk out of town but there are pretty frequent buses if you don't want to walk. I certainly didn't expect it to be as good as it was for the money.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Stamford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

I must admit that i was slightly anxious before i stayed at this place due to reviews i has read previously. Either, people are being very fussy or they have greatly upped their standards at the Carlton Tavern.
I stayed in Room 3, i was quite happy we were in the house to the rear of the pub in case it was a noisy pub. I found the pub very cosy and a real family pub, the staff were very polite and helpful and made me and my partner feel very at home.
I was more than happy with my room, It was really cheap! A place costing £35 is usually pretty rough, it was a large room with a large en-suite. It was all beautifully cleaned with crisp white sheets.
I really can't complain about this place, i would definitely recommend it and i will definitely be going back there!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Rugby
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I booked this accommodation as we had been staying at Ripon and wanted to see York before going home. I thought it would be quite handy for the city centre, but it turned out to be a little further out than I thought.
The rooms are in a seperate house at the bottom of the carpark. With a bit of care and attention, it could be a winner. Instead though, it is the most rundown and neglected place I have ever stayed in.
We were in room 3 which was upstairs. It is a good sized room with a double and a single bed. The furniture is old and rickety, the tv remote was missing, the sash window wouldn't shut (the broken latch was on the dressing table). All this I could live with due to the cheap rate of £35.
What I couldn't accept was the dirtiness. The carpet hadn't been hoovered for a long time. It was white with dust/fluff around the skirting boards. The bins hadn't been emptied - I don't want to see previous occupants' rubbish. There was a musty smell. The bed had a bizzare arrangement of a pink velveteen headboard which I tried not to touch (who knows what it was harbouring) which cleverly covered up the light switches. There was a kettle, but the cups hadn't been washed from the last people, nice! The sheets and towels looked clean, but I was beginning to doubt that they had been changed due to nothing else having been done. The bathroom was dirty - the bath and sink hadn't been cleaned, the toilet seat broken. The whole place made my skin crawl, and if I could have found an alternative I would have.
I travel extensively, and would not say I am fussy, but even third world places I have been too have higher standards than this. There is no excuse for not doing basic cleaning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Carlton Tavern? Share your experiences!