“wow wow wow” 5 of 5 stars

+44 1904 621404
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
31 Castlegate Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 657 Restaurants in York
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of York, under the shadow of the imposing Clifford's Tower, 31 Castlegate offers fine dining contemporary Modern European cuisine in an extraordinarily charming atmosphere.
Chester, United Kingdom
“wow wow wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Booked last minute, the restaurant is low light, cosy, welcoming and has unique character due to the age.
For starter we had pigeon which was good but kind of average. My fiance had king prawns which were big, meaty and tasty they were off the specials.
For main I had the trio of venison which I would highly recommend each component was full of flavor and even more better than the previous!
My fiance had the rabbit off the specials it was "his new favorite meat".
We found the staff friendly and the time between courses just right.
You would not be disappointed!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

York, United Kingdom
“Daughter and Dad Mid Week Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

First of all the online booking system was easy to navigate and simple to use - a text message confirmation is sent to your mobile within minutes of booking. It also allows you to state preferences - I'm a coeliac and it's easier for all parties involved if they know beforehand! I've lived in York for 4 years now and have eaten at many restaurants - 31 Castlegate is one of the few I hadn't tried before. I had a quick look at the menu - reasonably priced with a 2-3 course option around £15 - £20 which is the norm for restaurants I've been to.
I was welcomed warmly - the place is oddly furnished in the bar area - a little dusty and cramped but I was offered a drink within seconds of arriving. My Dad arrived a little later but the extra few minutes didn't affect how quickly we were seated - there was a couple of larger bookings coming in at the same time but we were served promptly and the white wine went down well with the heat of the day!
The quirky tilt you see on arriving to the place does affect the table a little if you sit on the left of the dining room - but for the most part (except a teapot) everything didn't slowly slide to the right! The toilets are located downstairs next to the kitchen and there is a further seating area - but a little dark and small so I recommend when reserving to stay in the main floor room - high ceilings and a bit more airy.
This occasion I went with the a la carte menu which was fantastic - I had the chorizo and confit duck salad starter in a parmesan cheese basket which I was incredulous at! Baskets usually are savoury wafer and I was told how they made the baskets with just the parmesan - the FOH staff were very warm and jokey and helpful - I never felt unwelcome or unable to ask a question. My Dad had a ham and asparagus starter - both our starters were of good portions and well priced. My Dad then went for the Lamb with a pine crust and I went for the belly pork - really good portion sizes and didn't have to wait longer than 20 minutes for our main. The belly pork also had a lot of good crunchy crackling (as opposed to the chewy rubbery kind which I have had before).
We were very full by this point - and nattering on so we spent a few minutes before deciding on a pudding. Dad went for the Assiette of Rhubarb which we were told would take around 20 minutes as the crumble would have to be made and baked. We were catching up so we were fine with the wait, more impatient folk might not be so pleased. I unfortunately didn't have much choice in the way of pudding - ice cream was the only option I could see so went with that. When the FOH came to clear our desserts he was very open about feedback which I liked particularly. We had teas to finish and the final bill came to around £90 for 2 lots of 3 a la carte courses and a bottle of wine and teas.
Overall it was a good 3 hours - never felt pressed or left to wait too long, the food was tasty, well presented and I was impressed by the geniality of the staff. What I will say is that it did seem a little worn round the edges, particularly the bar area and the lower dining room would be a little claustrophobic for my tastes.
I would recommend this restaurant!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
“York deserves this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

A belated review, but the food is delicious - carefully and thoughtfully prepared, the service is attentive, and not badly priced either. The decor is a little glum however.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
York, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent evening!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was dining with 3 friends and we opted for the 3 course set menu for £16.95. It was absolutely amazing value and it made for some very clean and empty plates! I chose the mushroom tart for starter, the confit of duck leg for main and the creme brulee for dessert. All were absolutely delicious, great flavours that went together and I definitely recommend the pineapple chili jam served with the creme brulee.

My friends chose the feta salad, fishcakes, chicken breast, risotto and pasta and all of them cleared their plates saying the meal was absolutely delicious.

We were sat in the private dining area as opposed to the main room due to a large group upstairs. Luckily we were a young group that did not mind the very very noisy university group upstairs getting a little rowdy, at one point we were a little worried whether they'd break through the ceiling! Therefore, if you want a serene romantic atmosphere avoid this restaurant if there are large group bookings.

The private dining area was lovely however and the service was attentive and fast. The wine perfectly complimented the meal and all round it was a fantastic experience and I would definitely return. I would say as a Rustique regular, Castlegate 31 is as good or perhaps slightly better and probably a lot easier to get a reservation in, so try here instead you'll not be disappointed!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Doncaster
“Xmas Party for my Restaurant Team”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Visited as a Christmas party of eight, with 6 of them being my restaurant staff with two being chefs; hence we pretty much went through the menu with a critical crew.

We had a great time, the food was great and cooked as requested. High quality and excellent presentation. For mains I had my favourite venison and I couldn't fault it, nice and pink and tender as requested. The chefs were critiqueing, or should I say comparing notes with their own dishes, and really had a good time too.

I would recommend this place and come back.

• Visited February 2013