“banana crepes to die for” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 656 Restaurants in York
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
high peak
“banana crepes to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

went friday night with the girls, excellent food fillet steak just melted, the banana crepes with toffe sauce and ice cream you must save room for these
great portion sizes well worth a visit if your in york

Leeds
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Reserved a table here on a Friday night. The place was packed - generally a good sign - but it simply didn't live up to the buzz. My onion soup was barely ok. The onions were still a little crisp and white instead of soft, dark brown, and caramelised as they should have been and it tasted as if it had been made with a stock cube instead of real stock. My husband's pate was ice cold, hard, and impossible to spread on the cold, raggedly sliced bread - and it tasted metallic and cheap, like budget pate from the supermarket. After that, I had a special of sea bass, prawns. mussels, and gnocchi with a lemon cream sauce. The sauce and the mussels were nice. Unfortunately, the fish was FULL of bones (lazy chef!!!), the prawns were rubber, and there were exactly 2 gnocchi in the dish. So, basically, I paid nearly 15 quid for three mussels and two gnocchi. My husband's steak was OK, if overcooked, and was brought out with the wrong sauce and cold chips.
On the plus side, the restaurant was attractive, the service was fine, and the wine (can't remember the name, but it was the second-to-least expensive white) was tasty and good value for money. Shame about the food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Doncaster, England
“Cute little French restaurant in the centre of York”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

My husband and I ate here on New Years eve and were rather impressed.
Although it is not the best restaurant we have eaten at it was certainly very enjoyable and the food was pleasant. The atmosphere was good although being NYE it was very crowded and busy.
The restaurant seemed popular with French students tooa large party of students were seated opposite us and seemed to be friendly with the staff, so I assume they are regulars at this establishment which I take as a good sign!

The restaurant itself has kitchens and toilets on the cellar level (downstairs) and the main dining area on the street level. It is small but elegant with stained glass on the windows and beautiful Parisian paintings on the walls.
The NYE menu was not extensive but I cannot comment on the regular menu as it was the first time my husband and I have eaten here. We had the ham hock terrine and the scallops for starter which were lovely and served with crusty French bread. For main course we ate Lamb and steak which again, were lovely but nothing spectacular. I like my meat well cooked (which I am told the French are not keen on doing themselves-its like meat torture) so I was sure to ask for my meat 'cremated' just to be sure. My steak still came to me medium-well done and still a little too bloody for my liking but my husband was happy to eat those bloody bits in return for some of the lovely lamb he was eating.
For dessert we were confined to choosing either crepe suzette, chocolate amaretto tart or cheeseboard. I went for the chocolate tart and my husband had the cheeseboard which he was fairly impressed with as it had a good selection of cheeses with apple and grapes.

We would certainly eat here again but would prefer to try other restaurants in York first.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“A piece of france in york.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

After reading the reviews, we tried Rustique. Must say we had a great evening .the food and service were excellent. We booked in the morning which is advisable ,as we went back the following evening and couldn't get in. The wine was chilled and you get an ice bucket, Overall very good.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
York, UK
“A little piece of France in the centre of York”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

First time at Rustique for lunch last Saturday with a girlfriend. Great atmosphere and friendly efficient service. As with previous reviews, I agree the tables are packed very close together but that only adds to the charm of the place.
Ate from the fixed price lunch menu which has ample choice. The mussels are to die for - not only are they plump and juicy but the portion size is huge in an extremely tasty broth. The crab cake was only small but very nice as was the cray fish salad. The only disappointment was the smoked haddock crepe which I thought lacked filling but tasted okay all the same. The wine was very good and reasonably priced and the tarte au citron again was only small but enough after those wonderful mussels!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere