“Good, but not quite as good as last time.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 671 restaurants in York
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
“Good, but not quite as good as last time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I booked this restaurant as a treat for an early mothers day treat, well I eventually did. I called one day about three weeks before to be told that they couldn't accommodate four people at 5.30pm on a Saturday. I rang two days later, spoke to a different person and had my booking confirmed, it's possible they had a cancellation I guess. We all had the set menu which is very good value however, on this occasion my steak was medium rare, rather than medium as requested and so was quite bloody (it was still tasty but I prefer it medium as I don't like to see the blood on my plate). The last time I visited, it was perfect. One thing that was apparent was the speed in which our food arrived, the restaurant was only half full and when I booked I was told that we had to leave the table by 7.30, which was absolutely fine but we had two courses and paid within an hour - quite fast service. I will return as the food is generally excellent (all three commented on how good there meals were), but on this occasion it was a slight disappointment to my previous visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
cheltenham
“A gem of a resteraunt!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews on here, my mum and I booked a table whilst we visited york. We were glad we booked- it was packed the whole time we were there and this was mid week. The service staff were helpful and attentive without being over zealous. The food arrived promptly and was just delicious, both my mum and I ordered off the set menu and we were both suprised by the amount of choice! Portions were also huge! We were also suprised how nice the house wine. All in all a lovely visit, we wish we lived nearer

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southport
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great food in comfy environment at great prices. We took another couple based on an earlier visit and they were equally impressed.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Liverpool
“French Cuisine at its Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I looked this out because of the tripadvisor recommendations and I wasn't disappointed. After the comments of others, I was surprised that I could walk in at lunchtime and order a table for that day, albeit I had to book for 1700 and agree to vacate the table by 1930, but hey, I was in!
My wife and I both went for the set 3 course menu (although there is an excellent a la carte menu plus the day's special available) and this provides excellent value but don't think that you are getting a budget meal - on the contray the food was both substantial and really tasty. There was a reasonable wine list, and if you like red wine, I can particularly recommend the Languedoc Roussillon which comes from the french mediterranean region.

Visited March 2013
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Very authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Dined here just before xmas & we had the set menu - service was spot on we were quickly seated and drinks order taken then the food order. I had the Basque egg to start which was lovely & the main course I wanted they had none left so I opted for the duck leg - gorgeous, the meat just fell off the bone it was so juicy. Will be trying out the Richmond branch of this lovely restaurant in the near future as its closer to home , but if you are going to York definately give this place a try.

• Visited December 2012