“whitby abbey and town” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
8 attraction reviews
“whitby abbey and town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Whitby does not seem to change a lot, in the 25 years I have been going there! Friendly people, good food, places to see, lots of areas around to walk.R.White

Visited August 2013

• Czech first
Cumbria
3 attraction reviews
“Whitby Abbey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Quite a hike up steps to reach the abbey but there are opportunities to stop for a "breather" along the way and enjoy the views around the town. When we visited much of the graveyard was cordoned off for building work, unfortunately. Such a peaceful place too.

Hanoi, Vietnam
82 attraction reviews
“Always a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We return again and again to Whitby and its abbey every time we go to UK. Its England at its best. In the off season it is wild and in summer it is windy and beautiful, but in every season it has something of history and English culture to offer.

Sotira, Cyprus
“Silence in the Abbey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

A welcome day to myself - I chose to visit Whitby Abbey as I'd last visited when a child - on a school visit I think. Fortunately the sun was shining, albeit rather chilly - alone in my thoughts I took my time - as long as I wanted, with noone 'chasing' me - I listened to the history behind the abbey and got lost in the experience. Although there were many people walking the same path, I was aware of the space - again imagining the history and the number of people who had passed before me. I felt like I was 'people watching' through the ages as the 'experience' was so real. I thoroughly enjoyed my escape and brief retreat at the Abbey.

Visited November 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Well what can I say about Whitby Abbey - one of my favorite places on this planet. Steeping in history and spookyness from the bottom of the steps all the way up and over to the far side of the Abbey, searching for the pirate grave in the church grounds, sitting on the benches looking out at sea. Just fabulous, cant wait to go back and climb the steps at midnight, with a tipple in a flask to enjoy the demour up there at that time.