“Could have stayed all day” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 17 Attractions in Whitby
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Striving to preserve an Edwardian atmosphere, this museum houses a variety of general collections.
Bath
4 attraction reviews
“Could have stayed all day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

There's a bit of everything here. I liked the traditional format of things in cabinets along with lots of current info on the exhibits such as the latest research so it was both charmingly old fashioned as well as up to date. Overall, v informative and interesting and I was sorry to have to leave it. The mini-Dracula exhibition was fascinating - great to see some original research.

London
43 attraction reviews
“A Step Back In Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This visit was a real time trip for me as Whitby Museum was my playground many years ago when my Nanny's brother was the caretaker and I got to explore to my hearts content.

This visit forty years later brought back many memories of course so maybe my review is biased but my husband who has never been before was also enchanted. We are touring the UK and have visited many small and large museums recently and this one really does rank highly.

It doesnt have the best of collections perhaps but its probably the quirkiest and most eclectic. There is a good collection of fossils and a wonderful selection of jet jewellery and artifacts. A small collection of dolls and toys with a lovely Noahs Ark. A selection of model ships and seafaring art and memorabilia is interesting. The stuffed birds are quite nasty but perfectly at home here. In the new extension there is access to a little cafe serving very tasty homemade scones, cakes, soup etc. This area also houses temporary exhibitions and a single showcase of random clothing. Tucked away in here also is my favourite thing... A lovely woven rocking crib that my dolly used to be rocked in all those years ago (but only when the museum was closed!)

They dont make museums like this any more, now its all touchy feely with video, audio headsets and ipads galore. Nothing wrong with that but stepping into Whitby Museum is a real step into the past, not only the objects are history, but so are their surroundings. I swear despite the new extension nothing material has changed since my last visit and probably for a good few years before that.

Go visit before this perfect little piece of history is modernised.

Halifax, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
“A lovely surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

From the entrance it looked more like a higgeldy-piggeldy junk shop stuffed the gills with random exhibits but I am happy to say that I couldn't have been more wrong. Starting from the till I was in for surprise after surprise. The ticket seller (he may well have been more than that but he didn't mention any other title) was very informative and fun. The exhibits were very well arranged and incredibly informative. I have never seen a better exhibition on the history of British coinage - accessible, understandable and interesting. The quality of many of the exhibits was also very high. It had a good mix of local and national history across a range of time periods. Excellent!
My one niggle isn't really a niggle so much as a piece of information I feel it pertinent to pass on. I like my museums to give me something of a potted history of the place and that was noticeably lacking. If you're looking for a quick fix on the history of Whitby, this isn't where to find it. Saying that though, I was able to find out about some really interesting pieces of local history I had no idea about.
My last point is a thank you to the museum. As a direct result of your museum, I spotted and correctly identified a weasel for the first time in my life. Thanks!

Wilmslow, England, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
“Very interesting, adults and kids loved looking around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Traditional don't-touch exhibit style museum, but full of interesting and fascinating displays including huge marine dinosaur fossils, animals, local historical artifacts from the bronze age to recent history, wonderful paintings, old-fashioned dolls and toys, amazing model ships, and much more!

Visited June 2013
Kobe, Japan
19 attraction reviews
“Historical!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I didn't expect that Whitby Museum was on the hill.
I saw many natural works and lots of models of pirate ships there!! I think those models are exhibited because Captain Cook disovered Whitby. I also visited a portrait gallery when I entered the museum, but only the museum is free of charge. You need to pay an entrance fee to go around the museum of course.

I highly recommend.