“Happy Memories” 5 of 5 stars

Beck Hole | Beck Hole, Whitby, England
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 176 Restaurants in Whitby
Cuisines: English
Description: The smallest pub I've seen for years... just two bars with an old fashion sweet shop in the middle where time has stood still
Lincolnshire
“Happy Memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I have visited this pub many a time, I used to come here on my holidays when I was growing up and went back this week whilst on a trip to the area with my wife. I love how time has forgotten this place. Had a lovely pint of black sheep and the missus had a pot if tea. The landlady is friendly and we had a nice chat with her. We are returning to the area in August and will certainly be popping in here for a pint or three!

Doncaster
“Long awaited return visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We've been coming to Beck Hole for many years now and always pop in the Birch Hall. Usually it's an evening visit with family but on Wednesday we did and afternoon call due to very high winds putting us off going very far. Although they only sell sandwiches, pies and beer cake, these are always excellent. I had the ham and my wife had cheese, we shared a pie and pickle. I had a pint of the Black Sheep, it tastes so much better here than in pubs where we live.
Glenys, the landlady, was only too happy to bring the puppy round for us to see again.
We went for a meal in the evening but came back to the Birch Hall for more of the splendid Black Sheep.
We will be back.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
North Essex, U.K.
“Thank you for hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

It's been 8 months since our last visit ... must try and make it less than that next time! Supped some tasty 'Beckwatter' ale and ate moreish pie & pickle and beer cake .... yummy. Enjoyed congenial conversation with the friendly landlady and met the inn's new puppy.

During these quieter times (February), the pub has been closed on Tuesdays. To our cost, we didn't check beforehand and turned up on (yes, you guessed it!) a Tuesday :-( We made sure we made it in the next day though :-) We'll ring up in the future ... just to avoid severe disappointment.

We are always saying "things never stay the same" but we are crossing our fingers that Birch Hall Inn does.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A little Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

If you arrive at this Pub in Beckhole you will have no regrets, A Camera Pub selling real Ales in such a peacefull position, they are two lovely quaint bars and seating outside where you can sit and have scones,pies,sandwiches ect. For children the seperate little sweet shop is one they will be talking about for years,whether a walker or motorist put it on your list.

Visited December 2013
Derbyshire UK
“Lovely little local”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit to Beck Hole and will certainly not be my last
Great beer and special pies from Sleights butchers
Smallest bar in Yorkshire