“May weekend break” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“May weekend break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stopped again at this hotel and we are booking for next year again. A lovely little hotel with laid back staff that don't bother you unless you want something. Lovely breakfast with choice of several different ones. Building a bit dated but it's been there since 1689 so can't complain .

Room Tip: Don't go in the attic bedrooms if tall or have problems walking as a lot of stairs and low ceili...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Went to Whitby for my boyfriends birthday... He likes the old looking building with abit of character! So I found this place on laterooms and decided it had everything I needed! I rang up to book my room which turn out to be cheaper! ( take note travellers ) I spoke to a young gent on the phone and he was fantast! Asked what kind of break I was having and what I was looking for.. So then told me the perfect room for me! TURNS OUT, he was right.
The lady on check in was brill.
The room.. And the hotel it's self! STUNNING really beautiful building! You know your in a old building full of character and charm when you step foot into this hotel! I would recommend any day! If your a light sleeping this might not be the hotel for you, as you can hear everything that's happening above you! But honestly you don't even notice it, and to be honest it just adds to feel of the place!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Break booked through a 2 night deal with 2 course dinner included on first night. As it was my husband's 50th, I requested a large room if possible. We were not disappointed, as the Wayful room was a lovely size, including a sofa and bath with overhead shower. Although the room is right on the front, the only noise really was the seagulls....can't complain about them in Whitby.

Lovely welcoming and friendly staff throughout....requested a bottle of Prosecco in our room and this was waiting for us in an ice bucket.

We ate in the restaurant on the first night, as the offer included a two course meal. We had scallops and carpaccio of salmon starters, followed by the seafood meze - absolutely amazing and well worth its price tag! Wine was reasonably priced and a lovely touch was the bottled water.....

Breakfast was lovely....full English on day 1 and then the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on a muffin on day 2. Nice little touches like butter in dishes and sauce in bottles....instead of sachets and foil packets!! No idea why the criticism about the coffee....hot filtered coffee was lovely!!

Wish we could have stayed longer. Only point that should be made clear is that there is a £15 supplement per couple on certain meal choices, we only found this out when paying the bill.

All in all, a lovely friendly hotel and we will definitely be back.

Mark & Helen

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We recently visited here as the menu was very appealing and we loved how discreet and quirky it looked. The seating area in the restaurant was lovely, there was a great atmosphere in there.

The starters we ordered (scallops and mushrooms) were incredibly delicious and a fair price.

The mains were equally as tasty, but we were slightly let down on one of the meals. The mussels we ordered were served as a large portion and the sauce they were in was delicious. They should come with chips and bread, although we did have to ask for the waiter for the bread a while after. We also ordered a lamb dish, which was of a very high quality. But it was served with the equivalent of one new potato, sliced into quarters, two thin strips of carrot and one of parsnip. For such cheap food (potato and veg), I think they could have perhaps provided a slightly bigger portion as it certainty wasn't enough for me, and I really don't have a large appetite. We did mention this to the waiter after the meal, he wasn't exactly apologetic but we said something more in the hope it may change the experience for diners after us.

In summary, delicious food, lovely place, you may leave full and content, but be prepared to not be.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A very pleasant overnight stay in this very quaint hotel and restaurant. Lovely helpful and friendly staff. We stayed here for just one night and had a lovely meal in the restaurant. As this is in central Whitby the only down side is the lack of parking, but there are plenty of car parks not too far awaythat have 24hr parking available.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My partner and I purchased a deal through Living Social - 2 nights B and B plus 2 course evening meal for £149. What excellent value!! We stayed in the Scoresby room. Admittedly there was no view from the room, but this did not concern us as we hardly spent any time in the room. We were blessed with fab weather and found the staff very obliging, the room spotlessly clean and the food excellent. We would definitely stay here again when we visit Whitby and would recommend it to anyone.

Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My Husband and I had stayed here before a few years ago and we really enjoyed it so my Husband booked again for my birthday. We had a room right up in the attic (Bagatelle), this room was nice but the stairs were quite tricky (narrow and windy) hence the hand rails. You had to watch your head when getting in and out of bed and we only had one bedside table. I also think it would be a good idea to have a hairdryer in every room without having to ask for one.
Breakfast was ok but the choice of cereal was poor (Muesli or Weetabix on first morning then there was the addition of crunchy nut cornflakes the next day)! The cooked breakfast was very nice. The coffee was far too strong (for me) so I had to order a pot of hot water to weaken it (this was no trouble). We also thought that toast should be brought to your table rather than having to use the toaster that didn't toast unless you put the bread through twice. The waitress at breakfast also called everyone 'Guys' and said it I don't know how many times! The staff however were very friendly and the hotel is set right in the heart of Whitby, We would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: If you struggle with stairs don't stay In the Bagatelle room!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to White Horse and Griffin? Share your experiences!