We are long standing customers at this hotel but this was the first time we have stayed here since the new owners have taken over. The changes are the rooms have been decorated and there are flat screen TV's on the wall with free view and there is now a WF-FI service. Must say this does not bother me as I am not going away to sit and watch TV in the hotel. The choice of breakfast menu has been greatly reduced. The breakfast options I would have preferred were no longer available. What we did have was served hot and enjoyable. Service was prompt. Also there are no herbal teas available in the room and the water that was available in the room was in refillable glass bottles. When we asked the maid if it was tap water in the bottles her reply was yes. Must admit when paying the prices for these rooms I would expect sealed bottle water. The room as usual were clean and towels replaced each day if required.
- Also Known As:
- White Horse And Griffin Hotel Whitby
- White Horse And Griffin Whitby
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The White Horse & Griffin is an almost 450 year old Coaching Inn, the first built in Whitby to serve the route to London. Operating these days as a Restaurant with Rooms it is situated on an unspoilt cobbled shambles near the base of Whitby's famous 199 Abbey Steps. The building is technically on 3 floors but is actually on 7 different levels. It boasts 10 unique and quirky bedrooms full of history and character. The walls are bumpy, the stairs are narrow and the ceilings are low. The Bistro/ Restaurant is cosy and heated by an open fire. The food is outstanding with the signature dishes (such as the Seafood Meze for 2 & the Fillet Sharing Platter) saying much about the place - great quality, great quantity, designed for sharing and, as with much in life, you get what you are prepared to pay for. The WH&G is best suited to couples and groups who want to get away, eat great food, drink good wine, meet new people, join in with the atmosphere and then retire to a hand-made bed with a hand stuffed mattress to regroup before a chef-cooked breakfast. As well as a comprehensive English Breakfast choices in the morning also include Fortune's Kippers, Smoked Haddock, Kedgeree, Scrambles, Omlettes, Fresh Fruits and Honeyed Porridge. A major benefit is that the heart of unspoiled North Yorkshire and its Coast is outside the front door in either walking or steam train distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your White Horse and Griffin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.