“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 183 Restaurants in Whitby
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are a small unlicensed eatery, serving just pie mash peas and gravy. We welcome dogs and their owners but have a dog free area upstairs. We don't have any Alcohol, but you are more than welcome to bring your own or pop over the road to the Endeavour pub who will let you bring a nice cold pint back to your food.If we do something wrong or make a mistake, please let us know or contact me through the messaging service and i will put it right.I believe you should be able to have a filling quality meal for a decent price.
yorkshire
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

Near the centre of town this is like stepping back in time. Pies cooked on the premises and served in enameled dishes. You eat what pies they have because they are all made that day. Just the thing after a hard day walking or sightseeing

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Filey, United Kingdom
“Great value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

Friends had recommended this cafe/restaurant. It certainly lived up to the recommendation. There are a few choices other than pies eg. sausage & mash but the real reason for going are the pies. The range is mind- blowing. They come with mash, peas and gravy. Fairly simple fare but the pies are completely full with meat ( or hommity) if your a veggie, and it costs £6. In Whitby that's value for money in my book. No license but a pint from The Endeavour carried across the road is no hardship.

• Visited September 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great Little Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

We found Humble Pie 'n' Mash quite by accident and what a lucky find it was. The decor is quirky and strangely comforting which kind of went hand in hand with the food which took me back to childhood winters and good wholesome, warming food served up by my dear old Mum. The jam roly poly could have been made by her. The staff were very friendly with great service. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.

• Visited September 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“Brilliant pies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I always go here when I visit Whitby. The black pudding pie is great. Very reasonable priced and do a great mug of Camp coffee.

• Visited July 2014
Merseyside, UK
“Pie heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

In a town that has more fish and chip establishments than you can shake a stick at, this was a sight for sore eyes. We were lucky enough to stumble across Humble Pie 'n' Mash after a long walk around Whitby harbour. Luckily we arrived when a table for 2 became free. We weren't disappointed - both of us had silly Cheshire cat grins on our faces from the start to the end of our meals. My husband chose the steak and stout pie. It was well and truly crammed with meat and full of flavour. I chose the minced lamb, leek and rosemary. They said there would be a 20 minute wait for my lamb pie - hardly a long time to wait for a freshly cooked meal (I think it ended up being ready sooner anyway). When it arrived, it was delicious. I couldn't taste the rosemary - although not a bad thing as it can be overpowering. Both portion sizes were just right. I only wished I'd asked for more gravy! We both decided we'd somehow make room for the jam roly poly and custard. Very nice too, although it arrived uber microwave-hot. Needless to say, we then needed another walk around the harbour as we were well and truly stuffed! Very friendly and efficient staff with a lovely, relaxed atmosphere. We'll definitely be back on our next trip to Whitby!

• Visited August 2014