“Wilson Arms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #121 of 145 Whitby B&B and Inns
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Wilson Arms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Wilson Arms I am not sure what everyone is going on about, the food is wonderful (fried eggs superb) trust me I know this. Although a little quiet in the evenings Quiz night was great we came 3rd with some help from Richard!
Overall value for money.
Nick and Richard really made us welcome and were the perfect hosts.

Room Tip: We had Room 7 which overlooked the Abbey on a clear day
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Staffordhsire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

What a fantastic four nights!!!!!! We booked a four night break and turned up on the wrong day (the day before) but all was well. They welcomed us even though they were closed until the Tuesday! - Where can you get such wonderful hospitality? We were met with smiling faces and soon shown to our accomadation. The room was not luxury, but more than adequate, spotlessly clean I might add - toilet, and showeroom were separate, but for our room only! The service, meals and price deal were fabulous - had several homemade soups (they were fab, thanks Richard). The steak was second to none - and the most fantastic homemade onion rings ever!!!! Breakfast - cereal, as much toast as you liked, fully cooked english breakfast (grease free too!) tea/coffee again as much as you liked, couldn't fault it. A homely coal fire, fab hosts and lovely regular customers, who we chatted to with ease. Don't know why people have a problem with you Guys - as far as we are concerned I couldn't fault it! There's no pleasing some people. remember its a quaint homely pub not a four star hotel - and actually we received 4* service!!! Will return again in the near future

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Havant, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We booked 2 nights Bed breakfast and evening meal, as part of a package, and a third night as B&B only. The BB&EM was £120, per night, and the 3rd nights B&B was £80, so simple maths tells you that the evening meal cost was £40 for a couple, or, £20 each.

To then be told that if you wanted anything more than fruit juice or soup at £3.50 as a starter, you have to pay the difference between £3.50 and the menu price of the starter you wanted was astounding. Ditto the main course, if you want anything over £10.50, you have to pay the difference as an 'extra'

The food itself was fine, but this 'extra's thing, just smacks of money grabbing. Why not have a seperate menu for BB&EM guests , then if they want to choose off the main pub menu, thats up to them.

And so on to the room. We booked what was described as an 'ensuite' room'. What a joke. Another reviewer has commented on what was obviously the same room as we got, and has got it bang-on. The 'ensuite' bathroom has just enough room for the shower cubicle and the toilet. Theres not even room for a towel rail, so the towel rail and wash basin are outside in the bedroom. Theres no room for toiletries in the bathroom, so these are on a tiny shelf outside the bathroom door. The room is a converted attic, and its minute. When we arrived, Nick (Mr Happy) told us we had the 'best room in the house'. I love a guy with a sense of humour. It was awful. Remember, the room cost £80 per night.

On the second night we were there, we went down for dinner at about 6:40. There was one other couple in the bar, and they ordered just before us. We ordered our starters and mains at about 6:45. The starters, soup for my wife, and whitebait for me came out reasonabley quickly. By this time, 2 more couples had arrived, so, theres only 4 couples to be served dinner. By 7:45, all the other 3 had been served their main, and ours still hadnt arrived. My wife went to the bar and asked iof there was a problem with the meal, and both Richard, and Dale the barman disappeared into the kitchen. At this point, Nick, perched in his usual position on his stool at the end of the bar started trotting out excuses in his disdainful voice. "We cook everything to order you see", and "We dont like to chuck itt down your throats one course after another".........Nick, mate, leave it out. 1 hour from order to main course is not acceptible anywhere, especially not in a bar with only 4 couples being served. Just apologise, buy us a drink, and get the food out. Dont start making stupid excuses, Its embarrasing for us, and it makes you look like you think we are stupid.

On our final morning, My wife put the bags in the car while I went to give the keys back and see if we owed any 'extras' . Nick was perched on his seat as usual, talking on the phone. I put the keys on the bar, and stood waiting. After a minute or two, he covered the mouthpice and said markedly 'Would you give me a minute please', so I retreated to the corridor at the far end of the bar. And there I stood, like a lemon, for 10 minutes, listening to Nick swearing down the phone to someone about an incident where one of the staff had been insulted. After 10 minutes I gave up and just walked out.

Nick, If I owe you anything for 'extras' then just discount it against the fact that neither of us had a pudding on the second night, so you are still 'up' on the deal.

As I got to the car, Richard came out of the Kitchen, and bade me goodbye. He shook hands and hoped we had had a good stay. He is a nice guy, and should do all the customer facing work. leave Nick in the back, out of the way. He simply doesnt have the people skills to be 'front of house'

In summary, the rooms are overpriced, our room was tiny and badly equipped, and Nick really does not make you feel at all welcome.

I wouldnt go back

Room Tip: Make sure you dont get room 6 unless you are less than 5ft tall and dont intend to shower
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Keighley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We enjoyed our midweek break,with Richard & Nick,food,accommadation and hospitality,
was very good.We can see that some people may have problems with Nicks type of humour,
but we gave as good as we got,and had some enjoyable evenings,would be very happy
to return for a value for money break.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
scarborough
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Don't waste your hard earned money!!!We entered the pub and thought how lovely, we got our drinks, which were over priced, sat down and looked at the menu which seemed expensive but we thought it must be good as the couple next to us said they'ed enjoyed a meal the night before.We ordered our food and waited, then began the insults, the bar man came across to collect glasses and proceeded to call our friends little boy porky, Then when i tried to get my boys a drink to have with their dinner, I was shoe'd away from the bar, told he was to busy, with one couple at the bar i thought he was joking but carried on to say, go away!We got our meal and to say the least it was poor, steak pie looked like pedegree chum slopped on the plate with a rock hard disc of what we think was meant to be pastry, No veg and the mash with the boys dinner was smash potato,when i went to pay i was asked had we enjoyed our meal not wanting the bar man to embarrass me i said it was ok, he then went on to tell me who cooked it and that he'd pass his thanks, hinting that i should leave a tip. I just ignored him and we picked our coats up to leave he shouted over the the pub, he hoped we hadn't nicked anything! Leaving the pub I felt i'd just spent sixty pounds to be insulted.I feel sorry for any unsuspecting holiday makers who fancy a bar meal here!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We had a very enjoyable stay at the wilson arms, although some of the reviews are not good, you only have to look in the visitors book to see how many people enjoyed their stay and will be returning. We were made very welcome, rooms clean and quiet, with a fantastic breakfast. I would not hesitate to stop again.

Room Tip: both the rooms we stayed in were good
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Very restricted opening hours - even for residents! - so location not ideal if you like a drink, as nearest open pub was a short drive away and cab fare to Whitby itself was £12 each way although for 3 couples this was not so bad. Rooms although cleanish were small and very basic and in need of refreshing as the 60s decor has had its day in my opinion.
The Mr Nice & Mr Not so Nice hosts are a real issue, especially if you are met by Mr 'Not so Nice' as we were - very rude, and aggressive. The only reason we decided to stay was the obligatory £50 per room deposit we had paid and no where else to go for 3 couples at short notice. Mr Nice is lovely so if you encounter him feel relieved!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Wilson Arms? Share your experiences!