“Marvellous Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Marine Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whitby
The Marine Hotel
You added The Marine Hotel to your Saves list
13 Marine Parade, Whitby YO21 3PR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Whitby
Reading
“Marvellous Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

My partner and I stayed here just after New Year and thought it was an excellent hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and gave us lots of tips on restaurants and bars to go to which proved very useful.

We stayed in the Louis XV Style Room and it was excellent. Loads of space, very tastefully decorated, and great views of the returning trawlers coming back with their hauls. The only thing I found slightly intimidating was that the bathroom, - as stated on the website - is open plan. Which in this case, literally means through a doorway into the bathroom and more importantly for me, the toilet. There is a partition you can pull across, but whilst I have no issue in bathing with my partner (quite romantic of course) I don't really want him to have to listen to me going to the loo! Consequently, I probably wouldn't recommend this room to new young couples who aren't yet familiar with their new partners habits!

Still, this did not put me off what was a fabulous hotel. Breakfast was just brilliant, kedgeree is just scrumptious. It was so nice to have several choices of breakfast that wasn't just made up of bacon, sausage and egg.

We ate downstairs for dinner as well, sat near the bar and it was quite buzzing, really good atmosphere. I also recommend the Moon and Sixpence, their sister place a few doors down.

I was suprised by Whitby in general, as I expected a cheap seaside resort, but it was really picturesque place, lovely scenery topped off by a magical stay in this most lovely hotel. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Central location, and breakfast variety
  • Disliked — Open Plan Loo!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Lansing, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

The Marine is a restaurant located on the harbourside of Whitby, and we leaned that they also have four suites to rent above. As a surprise, my mother in law and her husband rented my husband and I a suite for our wedding night.

This was, by far, the nicest place I've ever stayed in my life. It's smart, it's fabulous, and everything I could have wanted or needed was in the room, not just there, but done well.

The view of the old city from a room decorated in a contemporary style somehow blended together seamlessly. The staff treated us like friends, and made sure that we were taken care of. I loved it, loved it , loved it, and recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — The beautiful suite with the harbor and sea view, Incredible.
  • Disliked — Nothing was less than perfect.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Leeds, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

This hotel is absolutely perfect for a short break away. From the moment we arrived until the second we left we loved everything about The Marine.

Check in was the most chilled out experience ever - felt like we were arriving at a friends house. I'd booked room 4 (the Louis 15th room) and everything about the room was just perfect - one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Because this is a small family business and the hotel only has four rooms, every attention is paid to detail and you really feel like you're getting the personal touch.

The location of the hotel couldn't be better. I wanted somewhere central, and you really can't get any more central than the Marine. It's right on the Harbour front just down from the Magpie Cafe (we had an excellent evening meal here), with lots of really nice bars within stumbling distance. We haven't been to Whitby for about a year and couldn't believe how much it's changed in that time - there are quite a few new trendy (champagne) bars and seafood restaurants which have sprung up in this short time. This suited our tastes perfectly.

It's not the cheapest of hotels, but worth every penny in my book. I sure we will return again and again, if only to experience all of the different rooms. The break was totally romantic (you can even gaze up to the castle whilst your in the double ended bathtub) and I cannot fault a second of it. The breakfasts were amazing, with an excellent (posh!) choice.

We ate in the hotel on the second night (which seemed very busy all of the time), and again the meal was amazing. You must try the fishcake for starter, absolutely delicious.

I can't be glowing enough about this hotel. I am positive that you will enjoy it as much as we did.

• Liked — Everything about it was gorgeous!
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything really. Perhaps a little noisy outside at night due to location!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Hull, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

We booked this hotel last minute for the Goth Weekend in Whitby. The rooms looked great on the website, and when we arrived we weren't disappointed. We stayed in Room 3, which they describe as 'Striking Gothic Splendour', which is a terrible description!! The main colour of the decor is a striking black, but gothic it clearly is not! More French Boudoir - though I could clearly tell this from looking at the pictures online before I booked it and it was a really lovely room. The decor and furnishings are to a high standard and a great deal of thought has gone into the room, it really is beautiful and worth the £140 a night price tag. The only thing to perhaps watch out for was the room was described as having a harbour view, which it did, but I was expecting it to be looking out over the harbour, rather it is at the side of the building - still this doesn't really detract from the room or spoil the stay.

The service at the hotel was excellent, the staff were very pleasant- tea and coffee facilities were not available in the room, but there was a 24 hour room service for complimentry tea and coffee, and the service was very quick. The included breakfast was fantastic! The menu selection was huge and when the food arrived, it was of a very high quality, we couldn't fault it. On one of the nights we were there, we ate in the restaurant, again the food was lovely and the service was very good.

The only issue I can really comment on was the door was very difficult to open and lock - but this would be easily rectified. All in all it was a very enjoyable stay.

• Liked — Great furnishings - decor very well thought out.
  • Disliked — The bedroom door was very difficult to open!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!