“Excellent base for our group walking holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
BREAKS FROM JUST £97
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Whitby
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Excellent base for our group walking holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

33 members of our walking group stayed at the Royal Hotel from 29 April to 3 May and had a very good stay. The location was perfect for us. Our rooms were on various floors throughout, some of the rooms had just been renovated whilst others were still waiting for the upgrades but on the whole people were very satisfied considering the price we paid for the whole package. Yes, windows could be cleaner but on the higher floors this is a common problem with sea front hotels and not an issue that detracts from our good stay.Reception staff were pleasant and efficient and dealt with any queries promptly. We were located in the top end part of the restaurant and were excellently served by Pavel and Joan who were so enthusiastic and efficient. We thought the choice of meals each day was very good and the food was always served hot. Our thanks went also to Marion the restaurant mangaer for helping us celebrate the 60th birthday of one of our members on the first night. The help given was much appreciated.The use of the public rooms in the evening was a bonus and allowed the group to socialise more than when we have used B&B's in the past and entertainment was available in the form of quizzes, bingo, pool and snooker tables if members required them. Otherwise, you could just sit and chat whilst having a nice drink. All in all we were very satisfied and would have no hesitation in returning to the Royal again.

Room Tip: Our third floor sea view room overlooked the harbour and caught the morning sun, whilst others on th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. I’m pleased to see that you and your party enjoyed your stay. We’re very popular with walking groups s our location makes a great base for exploring the local areas. Our reception girls work very hard both prior to and on arrival to ensure all requests are met and will often go out of their way to ensure everyone is happy. I will pass your comments on to our chefs and Marion with regards to the food and service and of course Pawel and Joan who will be delighted.
Again, I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome your party back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
Vicki Glen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We recently stayed at the Royal for a weekend break. We had a lovely room overlooking the harbour and I must say, although a sea view room is a little expensive, it's worth it by far in this particular hotel, Amazing views.

The room itself was clean and comfortable although my bed was a little lumpy.The decor and bedding was pretty newish. The bathroom was clean and quite acceptable. We had a second floor room.

Ok, some of the hotel is tired and in need of decoration but as long as a place is clean, we can look past all that.

The public area was airy and comfortable to have your tea or coffee after your meal or just have a drink from the bar which i think is a great idea. There is a television in there too if you want to watch that.

The restaurant was very busy but our waitress who's name escapes me at the moment looked after us really well. She attended tables around 1 to 8. Very efficient, pleasant young lady who carried out her duties very well.

The food was tasty, a good variety and cooked well. There is always a good choice to select from. I use to enjoy breakfasts more than anything, a good breakfast sets you up for the day I always think. The evening meals were something to look forward to also. It's a good idea to have the menu in reception each day, it gives you and idea what you can eat that evening. Most of the Shearing hotels do this though.
The hotel was in a wonderful spot on the West Cliff to take in the amazing sea and harbour view. The veranda of the hotel was also lovely to sit, have a drink and watch the world go by. The only negative about that is, there was drink and cigarettes thrown or spilt on the floor and sad to say, the area is not cleaned on a regular basis. It didn't look at all nice and if I was looking for somewhere to have a drink as a non guest, I doubt if I would go into the bar for that reason, it brought the hotel down. It is annoying as ashtrays were provided by the hotel but just wasn't cleaned often enough.
The entertainment room has just been refurbished and was very nice and comfy. Can't comment on the entertainment as we didn't stay, we prefered to sit and chat in the other bar area but I do know they had a couple of artitsts and bingo too.

WE had a couple of nice trips out on the coach to Pickering and Scarborough as well as a few other little villages. It would help if the drivers gave each customer a list of the trips when they arrive on the coach, they could put departure times etc. Also, any extra trips to be paid for can be mentioned with costs. We had this in Eastbourne, done by our driver and it was an excellent idea and appreciated by guests.

The driver we had was Rod, not the usual driver, he was just helping out but he was a very nice chap who looked after us well.

There is a Whitby tour bus that goes around the resort and it stops right outside the hotel. I think it's every half hour or so and I believe it costs around £4. We also noticed a coach type steam engine that comes that way too. Not sure how often though. There is another bus you can get at the bus station by the railway station, if I remember right, it only runs monday to saturday, that drops you off just around the corner.

There is a winding path down to the harbour area starting at the hotel if you feel energetic. You can also walk down the steps too depending on your mobility. This also leads to the beach. Easier to get down than it is to get up!

There are lots and lots of benches to sit on overlooking the sea and the harbour which is lovely on a nice day to take in the scenery or just watch the world go by.

All in all, a great weekend at the hotel and we found value for money and the staff friendly.
I would go back again no problem.

Room Tip: Sea/harbour view is a must.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your 5* review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and took full advantage of all Whitby has to offer. I’m sure other travellers will enjoy reading your review and may pick up some tips of what to do whilst in the area. It’s great to see that the hotel ticked all the boxes during your short break from the comfortable bedroom through to the enjoyable meals. It’s always lovely to receive reviews like yours and I will be sure to pass your comments onto all the team.
Again, thank you for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

As part of a group of friends, we have been coming to this hotel for the last 14 years, there used to be 10 couples at the start but now its down to about 5 or 6, probably because Shearings don't listen or take heed of the comments sheet left by departing guests. Two good points of note are that they have refurbished the entertainment lounge, not before time, and Marion who manages the restaurant deserves praise for her tireless work during meal times, it's a shame that the quality of the food doesn't match Marion's hard work. I like my food very hot, the meals served I would hazard a guess, are plated up and kept in a hot box, that doesn't work very well especially when you are looking forward to a good cooked breakfast, and I never got a Good cooked breakfast, on the last day, not only was it luke warm, the sausage was undercooked in the middle. As for our room, well if you want a nice hot shower, don't accept room 118, if anybody else seems to be using the hot water, then this room doesn't seem to get any, unless you want to use it long before all other guests are getting ready, when I invited someone from reception to test it, he acknowledged that there did seem to be a "Demand" problem with the boiler, but that's no good for guest's wanting to wash etc at an appropriate time before meals. When are Shearing's going to have the outside of the bedroom windows cleaned, and the paintwork repaired, room 118's windows were filthy. Anyway, better stop now for I could go on and on, we will still use this hotel because we know exactly what to expect, providing they don't start putting up their prices, it's bordering on only just acceptable for what you get now, thank god for the snooker table, but it could be much, much better if they weren't so obsessed with PROFIT, the bar prices are just sheer GREED, one large house wine and a pint cost one of our group well over £8, how greedy is that, a lot of the guest's here are older people and pensioners, no wonder that hardly anybody goes into the entertainment lounge on an evening.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review and we are sorry to see you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. I’m pleased to see you mentioned the refurbishment of the ballroom which I agree was overdue and as well as this we have completed a number of bedrooms. Marion is a gem in the restaurant and deserves every bit of praise she gets. I’m sorry, however that you found the food not as hot as you would like. We carry out temp checks both prior and throughout service and I hope if you brought this to your waiters attention that this was rectified. Our windows are cleaned periodically throughout the year but unfortunately in our location this is an endless battle. With regards to the bar prices, whilst I appreciate it is possible to find cheaper prices we find ourselves to be in line with the majority of our competitors both locally and further afield.
I will address the issues you have highlighted and although you were disappointed on this occasion I’m pleased to see you would stay with us again.
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful time at the Royal. We could not have had a better time even if we had paid for a 4 star hotel. The reception staff were very efficient and answered all our questions. The waiting staff were brilliant and well mannered especially Jo,an. Food was extremely good and tasty.
We were very fortunate that the refurbished ballroom was in operation just as we arrived: 22nd. April. We found the ballroom floor a joy to dance on, and we made good use of it. The entertainment was first class and the comedian was hilarious such talent.
We booked a sea view superior room no.142 and it was sheer luxury with a lovely bay window with superb views. We will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments, it’s great to see you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we ticked all the boxes throughout. The team love getting good feedback and I will ensure your comments are passed on especially to the girls on reception and Joan. I’m sure you’ll agree that the ballroom looks fantastic and makes for a comfortable environment to enjoy our entertainment – Joey is indeed a very talented act. Our superior rooms continue to be very popular with amazing views.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stopped Monday to Friday in a superior room on the second floor overlooking the harbour and sea. Lovely view. Service was very good and staff helpful. The meals were fine and the kitchen could cater for small changes to the set menu. We experienced the entertainment for a few nights and enjoyed ourselves. Great location but a hilly walk which was easier as the week went on. Only negatives are the small lift and tasteless white sauce served with chicken and fish meals. The chef needs to work with different sauces and try something with tomatoes and spice things up a bit. But overall this is a great value hotel and I would definitely go again.

• Stayed April 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have a great team working here and comments like yours are always well received so I will be sure to pass them on along with your comments on sauces which we will look into. We are in a great location with some of the best views of Whitby no matter what the weather. I’m pleased you would chose to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back.
leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

There is a bus service up and down to the harbour
Younger staff on reception needs to smile arrived at 12 midday and room keys were given out at 3pm so we had a wait of three hours so why couldn't the earlier coaches rooms be prepared first. 20 people queuing for the lift which only takes four and some were taking their suitcases with them food and restaurant staff excellent

• Stayed April 2013
I appreciate your comments following your recent stay. I’m pleased to see from your review that you enjoyed your short break. Our policy on releasing the bedrooms is indeed 3 o’clock as will have been stated on your booking documents. This allows us to ensure all areas are completed and checked prior to guests going up. If and when the rooms are available earlier we do issue the keys but in the meantime guests are welcome to make full use of our public areas. I will be sure to pass your comments onto the chef and waiting teams although I must admit I was surprised by your comments regarding reception staff which I will certainly look into and monitor.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
england manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

we booked to stay here because of the reviews , obviously they did not stay in our room. We picked this Hotel for my wifes 70th birthday because Whitby is beautifull . but the sea view from our 3rd floor was a window so small that only one of us could look out at any time and was high enough so as you could not sit on a chair and look out , added to which it was literally screwed up so it would not open for fresh air so the room smelled a little stale.
The TV had 5 channels and was the old cumbersome type , small and way outdated ,the whole room was desperately in need of a re-furb , even down to the door sticking and had to be slammed shut . Basil would have fitted in well.
The only lift carried 4 persons absolute max and was super slow , for a hotel this size it is ridiculous ,especially at busy times the wait was horrendous.
A certain amount of updating is going on ( a bit late in the day for this and not quick enough )
The whole hotel experience was blighted by the above and the a lot more , we could go on and on.
On the plus side the staff generally were splendid , cheerfull and helpfull at all times The meals were Ok ish , but again the staff were great and really put themselves out to try and please. which was very nice.

Would I go again ? Only if I could be guaranteed a re-furbed room on the second floor ( larger windows ) and because the position is first class, and the staff well trained very attentive.

Room Tip: Try for second floor sea view , a re-furbed one and you will enjoy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review. We work very hard at the hotel to ensure high standards are maintained although we do accept we do still have some rooms in need of refurbishment. This is a project which we are fully committed to having just completed 37 rooms in the past 5 months as well as the ballroom. The lift is on the small side but we find it to be in keeping with the style of the building and unfortunately at peak times like you say, it can be a little congested. I am pleased however to see your comments on the staff and I will be sure to pass these on to all.
Should you choose to book again please do mention at the time any requests you may have and we will do our best to ensure they are met.
Vicki Glen

Been to Bay Royal Whitby Hotel? Share your experiences!