“First Time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Leeds, United Kingdom
“First Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good location, upgraded to a superior room well worth it,stayed in room 208. good view of the harbour and sea. also paid extra for the private car park.Hotel staff very friendly and helpful,food was good but some times it was a little cool. could have done with a bigger breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and will pass your comments onto the staff. All of our Premier and Superior rooms offer fantastic views over the town and are very popular. The new reserved parking system is working well and alleviates a lot of the stress of parking over busy weekends. Thank you for your comments regarding the food, our staff would have been happy to provide a larger portion on request.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
GENERAL MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Rushden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a really enjoyable stay at the Royal, a sea view room gave us a view to die for, although the hotel is in need of some updating it was very warm and comfortable, the staff although very stretched (not many of them) were absoluteley first class,polite, helpfull and very friendly. No complaints with the food it was excellent. Entertainment was very good, bingo, comedian, singer all enjoyable, in fact at home we,re in bed by 9pm but stayed up every night till the entertainment finished. We'll definitely be going back in 2013

Room Tip: Worth paying the extra for a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. It would appear you enjoyed all elements of your stay which is great to read. Time and time again the views we enjoy are commented on and I couldn't agree more. We have an excellent team here at the Royal who all work very hard and I will pass your comments onto all regarding the entertainment and food in particular. I hope you've recovered from your late nights and we look forward to seeing you in the New Year.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just stayed bay royal hotel it is a little run down but the age of it doesnt help .but for the money you cant go wrong bed,breakfast 3 course evening meal £109 for two nights pp. the staff are polite and helpful. had a sea view room which was good the room was comfortable and warm

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. The Royal is an old building which we are continually in the process of refurbishing with improvements being seen all the time. As a group we aim to offer good food and comfortable accommodation whilst offering value for money and I'm pleased to see this was your experience. We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
somerset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I can say that hotel location is good.Hotel needs TLC.Room we had rotten window could not close, black around window. Rain and wind was coming into window, curtain was blowing well. Place trousers to stop wind. Trousers were then soaked. Then use towels. Spoke to reception who said the only think she could do would be tape the window up. this was done and the wind and rain stopped coming into the room.Staff i feel so sorry for them in the restuarant. They are running around so much that they are short staffed. Food was poor standard and cold. Was not told you had to share table with other guest. All of us sqeezed into restauarant. when another area was not being used.Bar staff were quick in serving you. But i could not beleive sitting in bar area that a person in charge telling member of staff off.In front of the quest that she was putting to much wine in glass. That should have been done when bar was closed or in the office. Not in front of people.
We payed a lot for this break. I expected looking at shearings brochure nicer quality room and better food for want we payed for this break. Never again at Royal. But will stay in another Hotel in Whitby..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thanks you for taking the time to share your views and I'm sorry to see yo were disappointed during your stay with us. As I am sure you will appreciate the weather during your stay was bad to the extreme with the high winds round the cliff top. The replacement of windows is very much an ongoing project. I'm a little concerned as to your comments regarding service in the restaurant - I have spoken to our restaurant manager who assures me that they were fully staff all weekend with all areas of the restaurant in use although possibly at different times throughout service. I have discussed your comments on the food with the chef who will investigate to identify any issues. The bar staff work very hard and I agree that any issues should be dealt with away from guests view.
Again, I am sorry to see you were disappointed and hope that this would not deter you from staying in a Bay hotel again in the future.
luton beds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Good points . Wonderful views .. Food was good , rooms were clean but dated apart from bathroom floor which needed a good scrub , staff very helpful , hard working and friendly , entertainment was excellent , nice comfortable quiet areas ..local bus finished running at 2.30 pm but taxis very cheap . Bad points not suitable for disabled , lift too small to take a wheelchair , steps up into dining room , very slow service in dining room as not enough staff ,main area windows could do with a good clean , wonderful sprung dance floor was spoiled by being sticky

Room Tip: My sister booked 101 sea view premier room for her and her husband self drive at a cost of £585 f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your views. I'm pleased to see you enjoyed the meals during your stay and found our staff helpful and friendly. Our public areas offer a lovely environment to enjoy the stunning views you mentioned. I'll look into your comments regarding service in the restaurant, it's very unusual for us to receive comments of this nature. Whilst there are some areas in the hotel with steps, every effort is made to accommodate guests needs as we do on a regular basis and this information should be offered on booking. I am surprised to see the comments about the lift not taking a wheelchair as many of our guests do use the lift with wheelchairs. If you have any requests due to any mobility issues, it may be worth registering wth our Special Helpdesk at Head Office who can advise further at the time of booking and look into ensuring all requests are met wherever possible.
I hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
VIcki Glen
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

me and my sister went to the royal in whitby on the thirteenth of october with our husbands for the weekend,it was our first stay at this hotel,we were pleasantly surprised.nice polite and helpful from the receptionist,also from the bar staff,stayed in room 141 and 105.141 was a more over the ocean view while 105 was a view over the sea and a view of the abbey good large rooms.the evening meals were of a good standard but was a bit disappointed with the breakfast.the waiters and waitresses were run off their feet,and all of us thought the breakfasts were too small,and we waited a bit to long to be served.we went on a bus around whitby town and up to the abbey and the bus stop was just outside the hotel so this was a plus.taxis up from the town were around a fiver so not too bad.have seen better turns in hotels,but passable

Room Tip: 105 for view of abbey
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you for leaving your review. I'm pleased to see you all enjoyed your stay and were indeed pleasantly surprised. Or premier rooms are very popular with many of our guests due to their size and the views they offer. I'm pleased to see you enjoyed your evening meals and I will investigate the issues you mentioned about breakfast service, it is very unusual to receive negative comments regarding this. The tour bus is a great service enjoyed by many of our guests. Our entertainement is planned over the week with a view to something for everyone.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Once again I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel from 1st October to 5th October 2012.

You know I get sick and tired of people putting things like "My TV was small" or "The food was terrible". My advice to you is why do you bother going away, you don't go on holiday to watch TV all day, if you want to watch TV stay at home and stop moaning. Simple!

Anyway back to the Hotel! Me and my Mum stayed in this hotel in February and we enjoyed it so much we decided to come back and we are so glad we did. The food is outstanding, the staff are very friendly and the rooms are very clean.

We were so pleased to see Regina has been promoted to Hotel supervisor and she recognised me and my mum from February! A lovely lady who works very hard and I wish her nothing but the best. Our main waitress Tatiana was very friendly and worked extremely hard to make sure our meals came to us on time. Although Inma didn't serve us I was very pleased to see her interacting with the people and people that knew her before were very pleased to see her, this made the atmosphere very pleasant indeed, people seemed relaxed. Apologies if I've missed any of the waiter's/waitressed out, but let me say this they all deserve credit as they all work very hard indeed.

The receptionist's are very smart and really friendly.

Bev, one of the lady's that cleaned my room and my mum's room was a really nice lady and it was a pleasure talking to her and we had a great laugh. Bev and Maria who cleaned our room's work very hard indeed. You know when I go on holiday I'm not interested in big fancy wall lights and state of the art bathrooms, I just want a clean bed and clean bathroom and that's exactly what I got, so my thanks to Bev and Maria!

The location is excellent. We went with Shearings and we went on the North Yorkshire Moor's Railway on Tuesday. I have never been so happier in my life! The whole trip was just great. Getting on from Grosmont station, we headed to Pickering on the train. From there we went to Helsmley which is a nice quiet village.

Thursday, me and my mum travelled to Scarborough on the bus (bus no 93). It took us 1 hour but it was worth it, plus being a big fan of ITV's The Royal I got to see where it was filmed! (Holbeck Road). Scarborough also has a superb shopping centre.

Friday, we went to Goathland. Again being a big fan of Heartbeat I was thrilled to be back and the fella in one of the shops recogised me from February! The shops in Goathland provide a wonderful display of Heartbeat items such as calendar's and books. Go into Bernie Scripp's Garage as there is loads of stuff in there to see.

The driver Ian from Shearings was just a great fella. He only been with Shearings for 7 weeks but he drove well, had a great sense of humour and seemed to be enjoying himself chatting and laughing to the passenger's. We also had Mike another driver who lives in Whitby and he had great knowledge of the area and was very friendly. Geoff who took us to Warrington and brought us back is a born comedian! Seriously I nearly choked a few times as the man was just damn right funny!

I didn't want to leave Whitby as the week went too fast and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I want to thank Vicky, the manager of the hotel for keeping the hotel in top condition and I cannot wait to return in about 6 months time.

Kind Regards - John

Room Tip: Try and pick a sea view room as these are just great. Waking up and seeing the bay is a pleasant exp...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
John, it was a delight to receive your fantastic review. It was lovely to see you and your mum back and to see that once again you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and were particularly pleased with your rooms and the food. As you so rightly say the team throughout the hotel are a fantastic bunch of people and Regina is doing very well in her new role as Restaurant Supervisor. It's great to see Bev and Maria being mentioned as the housekeeping team so often get overlooked as they are not seen as much and Tatiana receiving praise as she's only been with us a few weeks. Everyone will be delighted to see your comments. Time and time again our location is mentioned on here not only for the stunning views we enjoy but also the accessibility of the surrounding areas. Ian is not a regular driver here at the Royal but I'm sure if he has a look on here he'd also be delighted by your comments regarding his tours.
Once again it was a pleasure to receive your review and we look forward to seeing you "in about 6 months time".
Vicki and the team

Been to Bay Royal Whitby Hotel? Share your experiences!