“WILL ALWAYS BE BACK” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rylstone Mere Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
Rylstone Mere Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #39 of 145 Whitby B&B and Inns
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“WILL ALWAYS BE BACK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

me and my husband mark from peterborough stayed here for his 40th birthday....the owners were so welcoming, lovely breakfast served to room at good price and what a lovely breakfast it was ,we will be back hopefully jan 2012 great plus is the parking and if u know whitby this is always good!! room was spotless and always lots of biscuits tea and coffee we had a great weekend and staying somewhere lovely is always a plus thanks mark and jayne

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

My wife and I left the kids elsewhere for a few nights and were very impressed by the ground floor room that we had -- must have been the sitting room when the house was built and was very spacious. It was very tastefully decked out in some sort of African-themed decor and autumnal shades. Shower/sink/loo room were spacious and clean with very nice modern fittings that worked well.

The owners were very friendly and clearly took pride in preparing the place, which was very clean and tidy. The full English was standard fare, but very good value and brought to the door. Better coffee maybe would have been good but then again I didn't ask for any so they were perhaps keeping their ili back until someone wanted it.

On a minus side, the sky box promised a lot but wasn't hooked up to many channels. A cheap DVD player and radio may have been better.

The check out time was a tad inhuman at 10 am, though a little bit of flexibility was shown when the owners realised Mr and Mrs were still in bed. Parking was a bit of a faff also. There aren't enough spaces for residents so the owners operate a `keep your keys in the room and we will move your car if necessary' system that I wasn't keen on. I was punished by having the car aerial vandalised when I parked in a nearby street.

All in all, not much to grumble about here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I can only assume that the bad comments left about this b&b were from those who stayed before the current owners took over earlier this year. We stayed for 3 nights in August and it was excellent in every way. We had the ground floor room which is huge!! Nice, large en-suite too. The room was beautifully decorated and very clean. Breakfast was served in our room which was great! It was lovely to sit in the bay window and watch the world go by while tucking into a full english.

The location of this b&b is excellent. It is literally a few minutes walk to the shops and bars. Another plus is that it has it's own carpark. Parking in Whitby is very limited so being able to park the car up and not move it again for the whole weekend was a big plus.

The owners were lovely and very accommodating. We'll definiltey be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We are regular visitors to Whitby and so over the years we have stayed in quite a few B&B's and hotels.
We found the Rylstone Mere to be GREAT in every way!!

Location is great as only 5 mins walk into the town centre, FREE PARKING...which in my opinion and a BIG BONUS in Whitby!!

The current owners have been there since March 2011 and are doing a Superb job!!
(Despite previous comments left from someone who stayed there last year, but only just left their comments this year!! :()

The place is spotlessly clean, fresh, modern, bright and cheerful, and also friendly!!

Our room 7 was on the top floor overlooking the main road and Pannet Park. The room it's self was not massive, but more than enough room for a few nights stay.
It had loads of wardrobe space, good size bathroom, lovely big shower unit with nice shower, Table and chairs and unit with TV, Tea/Coffee, Kettle etc.

The owners choose to do you a breakfast in your room rather than in a dining room, (Which TBH is rather a wasted space, which they have turned into a massive Luxury bedroom!! I had a little nosey in there this morning!!)
which in my opinion is so much better!!!

You leave them a note the night before informing them what you would like for breakfast and what time, and then it is delivered to your door at the required time!!

We had FULL ENGLISH on both days, and I must say....I am rather fussy about my eggs etc. but this was just faultless!! AND...... at a good price in line with the local cafe's etc.
BUT the bonus is............ that it is served in the privacy of your own room!!

All in all ................I would CERTAINLY recommend this lovely B&B if you are planning a stay in the beautiful place of Whitby!!

Thank you very much Watty and Michaela..for a very lovely stay!! XX :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Booked this very late on the day and was offered a room in the building next to the hotel. Room was very clean and recently decorated. Had all the things you could wish for in a B&B, TV, tea/coffee facilities, en-suite with towels. “Watty”, the guy who greeted us was very polite and helpful. Lovely old building with nice patio area out the front. Onsite parking and very central just 250 meters to the main shopping area. Nice place and wouldn’t hesitate in stopping again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

It's been a while since I stayed here, but having signed up to trip advisor recently I realised the experience still rankled enough for me to make comment so late on. It was actually longer ago than last year, but that's the earliest date I could pick. If things have changed in the meantime, I apologise. But in case they haven't....

When we checked in the room was not clean, you could see where a duster had made it to the easy to reach places but no further, the shower head was filthy, the bathroom had not been properly cleaned. On request the owner's brother (who was covering while the owner was away) cleaned the shower head. He also provided clean towels when the ones we'd left on the bathroom floor to be taken away were not touched. We dusted the rest of the room oursleves - especially the headboard on the bed, and the cobwebs in the light fitting.

I felt sorry for the brother really, he did the best he could, and the fault lies with the cleaner and the owners for their lack of checking on the cleaner they employ. As we were checking out the cleaner asked if we'd had a nice time - I said the room wasn't very clean and that had spoilt our stay. She said: "There's only so much you can do." I told her that this was true, but that she could do a lot more than she was doing.

Breakfasts are served in the room, which is fine, but the cleaner (again!) was so set on her routine of collecting the breakfast dishes from outside the room that she would knock on the door and interupt us when getting ready, reminding us to put the dishes out, rather than just taking them away - not exactly the relaxing experience we paid for.

Shame really, because it 's a nice building and a good room, plus well located. If they can/have sorted out the cleanliness issues (I notice another review comments on the dirt, so I'm guessing it's still the same) then they would have a good business. However, I'll never go there again, so I'll never know.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Fantastic B&B , really enjoyed our stay , our room was lovely and very clean.The owners were nice and friendly and made us feel very welcome . the main things we liked about the B&B was that we didn't have to worry about parking the car ,and also we enjoyed our breakfast being brought to our room . Excellent location a two min walk to the town centre . cant wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rylstone Mere Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!