“Warm and welcoming, and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lion at Settle

and 1 more site!
You added The Lion at Settle to your Saves list
The Lion at Settle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Duke Street, Yorkshire Dales National Park, Settle BD24 9DU, England (Formerly The Golden Lion Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Settle
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Warm and welcoming, and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Recently stayed at the Lion hotel for the first time, though we have visited the bar previously, after a cheeky ask by myself they very kindly extended a good B&B rate, we had an evening meal which was excellent, breakfast again excellent (I'd recommend the full cooked Yorkshire), staff were very friendly. My only complaint (sorry) is that our room (room 1) was very small, ditto the bathroom, also a damp stain on the bedroom ceiling, mildew on the windowsill and in the bathroom, compared with how good the downstairs refurb is the upstairs doesnt compare. I'm glad I didnt pay the full tariff, also as it was a birthday present for my partner I was a bit dissappointed, unless the other rooms are superior I wouldnt stay overnight again.

• Stayed March 2014
Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to The Lion.
I am very pleased to see you enjoyed your time here and hopefully you will be back.
We appreciate all feedback we get and i shall see to these problems straight away.
Thanks again, Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The lion is a nice adaptation of an older building with a large bar / restaurant on the ground floor and accommodation above and over the courtyard. There is a nice atmosphere to the place we stayed in January and found it warm and welcoming. The room was a tad on the small side but had a a nice separate bathroom area with bath thankfully. We'd been out walking for the day and got sodden so a hot bath was in order. The TV was a bit hap hazard (sound) but everything else was as you can expect from a good standard B&B. The restaurant you will need to make a booking for in evening as it gets full. I had fish and chips and its rare to be able to get fresh fish inland and it was fantastic. Breakfast the following day had a good selection and was tasty. Out and about Settle is a very pleasant town with good pubs, outdoor shops and other random shops. There a range of walks around the town and bike routes and it is an excellent base for the dales if you are considering a trip. Bear in mind it doesn't have a car park so you'll have to factor in parking costs and potentially moving car around if on a longer stay.

Room Tip: One at the back of the courtyard
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager, Hayley Mace at The Lion at Settle, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. I am pleased you found The Lion to be 'warm and welcoming,' this is just the perfect impression we like all guests to feel when they arrive at The Lion.
Only a few of our rooms have baths so (hopefully) next time you stay, you may want to request a room with a bath.
I am pleased to see you enjoyed your fish and chips and your breakfast!
We are very lucky to be located in such a beautiful town with lots of things to do for our guests.
Thanks again for your comments; we hope to see you soon! Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We've stopped for a coffee several times over the years so when we were thinking of somewhere to go for an overnight visit, the friendliness and warm welcome made us think of the Lion. The staff were very friendly. We were able to choose where we wanted to sit, so sat in front of a roaring fire on a wet and windy night. Dinner was delightful -- not many kitchens produce a steak as good as the one I had. The room was clean and comfortable. The Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries were a pleasant surprise. Breakfast was equally good, with a good choice of food. Being able to make as much or as little toast as we wanted was a very nice touch, as were the mini croissants. We'll return again.

Room Tip: Book a room at the back of the hotel as it should be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
What a glowing review! Thank you so much. I am very pleased to see you enjoyed your time at The Lion. I shall pass your message onto all the staff especially the chefs, we love getting feedback, good and bad, as we like to know what guests are feeling about their time with us and it helps us get better at what we do. Thanks again. Please like us on Facebook 'The Lion at Settle' and follow us on Twitter '@TheLionSettle' Thank you, Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is a very nice place to stay. The staff are friendly and helpful, the accommodation comfortable, and the food is delicious and good value. The log fires in the pub are especially welcoming. Settle itself is small but has a variety of independent shops and lots of places to eat and drink.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for a great review about your visit to The Lion, by the sound of things you enjoyed yourself which I am very pleased you did. Hopefully we will see you again in the near future. Please like our page if you are a keen facebook-er ‘ The Lion at Settle’ or if you’re a keen ‘Tweeter’ please follow us @ ‘LionatSettle’ Thank you, Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion
Redcar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

On 24/1/2014 I booked through an online booking agency an overnight stay at another hotel in Settle and upon arrival the hotel in question was closed luckily for my wife and I the hotel owner happened to turn up at the same time as us and when I asked what had happened he informed me that the premises had ceased trading in December 2013 and that he had informed the booking agency in question of this the man then suggested that we stay at The Lion at Settle and he himself then contacted the Lion arranged our accomodation and even negotiated for us a reduction on their tarif. The Lion at Settle provided us with a 1st class Double Room which was large, clean and warm. We dined there on the evening and found the food to be very good. The Full Yorkshire Breakfast the following morning was excellent and there was also a choice of toast cereals, fresh fruit and yogurts aslo tea, coffee and various fruit juices. The Staff at the Lion were excellent friendly and very helpful the only slight downside was I found the pillows to be too soft for my liking and as I was ready for bed by then I did not bother asking for an extra pillow had I done so my request would undobtedly have been dealt with. I would like to say thankyou to all at The Lion for averting what could have been a disasterous experience and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I am very pleased you were directed to us and we had a room for you to stay in! I am glad you enjoyed the food, especially the breakfast! If you asked us for some more pillows we would have provided you with some, also we keep extra pillows in the wardrobe. Thank you very much for such a great review, we hope you come back to us! Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

this is one of the nicest pub hotel ive ever stayed in the staff were so helpful and friendly...we had a sunday luch which was superb.The village of settle was small but had eveything you could want .At the nightime we were advised by the staff to go to the indian across the road which was not licensed so we took our our booze it was very good indeed ....I will be definatley going back again and again loved it ...

Room Tip: any room is good
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for such great comments about your recent visit to The Lion. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time here and all the staff was able to help you. We look forward to your return. Thank you very much. Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion
Please follow us on twitter @LionatSettle and like us on facebook The Lion at Settle
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We had a great short stay at this hotel. Of particular note was the friendly and helpful staff that went out of their way to make our stay great fun. The family room was comfortable and reasonably spacious, and the pub and restaurant were very family friendly with a welcoming log fire. Breakfast was excellent (free flask coffee to take away is provided), evening meal was good value.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Lion_at_Settle, Duty Manager at The Lion at Settle, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
I am glad to see the staff made your stay fun and you found breakfast was excellent. Hopefully you will return for a longer stay. If your connected on facebook please like our page, The Lion at Settle. Also if you are connected on Twitter, follow us @LionatSettle. Thank you very much, Hayley Mace and all the team at The Lion.

Been to The Lion at Settle? Share your experiences!