“OK, but don't go out of your way....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Craven Arms

Craven Arms
Brackenber Lane | Giggleswick, Yorkshire Dales National Park, Settle BD24 0EA, England
+44 1729 825627
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Settle
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Cumbria
“OK, but don't go out of your way....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

10 of us ate here the other night. There's not a whole heap of atmosphere, and the decor is fairly spartan. It was very quiet, considering it was a Saturday night. However, the staff were friendly and patient with our dithering over the menu; the food was good albeit not outstanding (some odd mixtures, such as "creme brulee with toasted malt loaf"!) and the price was very reasonable. Decent wine list, too. We'd certainly go back if we needed to be in the area again, but wouldn't make a special trip.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“Unpretentious Excellent Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The food here is nothing less than exceptional, the staff are friendly and knowledgeable and the ambience is warm and inviting. I booked a table here for the first night of a weekend break and the food was so good that my partner and I went back on night 2, not wishing to spoil our break with subpar food. The inn is owned by a farmer and his wife, the meat served comes from their farm, we were also told that where possible food was organic and of course locally sourced. The menu was varied and exciting, so much so that it was difficult to choose what to have. Both nights we thoroughly enjoyed our meals and recommended the restaurant to the lady whose B&B we were staying in (it was her birthday the following week).

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A nice place to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

First time at the Craven and it was very pleasant. The food and drinks selection were good. The bar area very light, service was a bit slow on a Saturday night but the staff were very helpful, once the food started to arrive we werent rushed and they made us feel very welcome. The imprtant thing ...........the food, it was very good ; taste and value and no complaints

• 4 of 5 stars Food
England
“on the slide”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Another visit to the Craven Arms - but this time very disappointing.
The service lacked precision and was not up to the normal standard we have come to expect here.
Starters were OK if not a tad uninspiring - bland risotto cakes but tasty carpaccio of vension.
Salmon en papillote - the idea of this dish is to keep in moisture and the wonderful aromas by cooking in a greaseproof or parchment 'envelope' and opening the dish at the table for maximum effect. What we were served was salmon in tin-foil on the plate leaking water on to a small portion of couscous. For one minute I thought we were in a Harvester or that Berni Inns had been reincarnated. The 'summer vegtables' to accompany the couscous comprised three baby broad beans.
The pork cooked three ways was passable - however the pulled shoulder meat was very dry and the dauphinoise potatoes tasted of 'fridge' - two or three leaves of wilted spinach does not constitute enough of an accompaniment to this dish.
Our next special occasion or anniversary meal will be elsewhere.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
The_Craven_Arms, Manager at Craven Arms, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Firstly I'd like to thank you for taking your time to review our restaurant.
I am sorry that you did not feel that this visit lived up to your expectations. Our aim is for every customer to enjoy their visit from start to finish, unfortunately this time we appear to have not lived up to this.
I do wish that if you felt this way about the meal you had raised your concerns with us at the time, we could have dealt with the situation and hopefully rectified it to your satisfaction so that you had been able to enjoy your experience. In answering your comment on the salmon dish, we serve this dish in tin foil because the foil keeps in more moisture, helps to steam the fish as it bakes and doesn't burn. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the dish but I do wish you had mentioned it at the time. With regards to the cous cous, it actually has British courgettes, fennel, broad beans, dill and basil through it. The idea of the whole dish was to be a light summery fresh flavour.

Once again I am sorry that you feel your experience was not up to the exacting standards that we strive for, especially considering the very good review we had earlier received from yourselves. I do hope that you will come back and give us another chance. Please feel free on any future visit to make any comments known to a member of staff, we are always open to feed back and can only strive to improve with honest customer feed back.

Regards

Richard Wright
Head Chef
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best family pub I've encountered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The staff in this pub are wonderful. We arrived for Sunday lunch and were offered to sit in main dining room or a separate less formal area with easy access to outside play area. Being with our Toddler, we chose the later. The barmaid the produced a box of toys for my daughter to play with and introduced her to a puppet monkey, even giving her a banana to feed it! The food was superb. I'm vegetarian and had a collection of sides and starters which were delicious. It tasted even better because my daughter was entertained so I got to actually eat in peace!

The meal was very reasonable priced to. I think it only cost £25 for the 3 of us including drinks.

The pub filled in pretty fast while we were there. So I would recommend booking ahead.

• Visited August 2012