“Lovely meal in relaxing surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

+44 (0)1603 765377
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
St Benedicts Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #96 of 662 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: St Benedict's is an authentic French bistro in Norwich's quirky St Benedict's Street. Friendly and relaxed, the dining room attracts Francophiles and fashionistas alike, and is perfect for an indulgent late-night meal, post-shopping pick-me-up or a chic chocolat chaud with friends. We love the slow-cooked crispy duck with braised chicory balsamic reduction and grilled naval orange and the double baked cheese souffle. St Benedict's warm, Van-Gogh-esque navy and yellow interior, sensational wine list and fantastically French waiting staff will transport you across the channel before you can say steak frites.
glasgow
“Lovely meal in relaxing surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Visited St Benedict's on a Tuesday evening. The restaurant was quite quiet and we were given a seat at the window. The restaurant is well laid out and feels quite intimate although it is a reasonable size.

Starters of Salmon roulade and Mediterranean vegetables with goats cheese were both well presented and tasted exactly as expected. Portion sizes were good without being too much to impact on the appetite for the main course.

The main courses were both delightful. The duck leg was cooked perfectly and served with a lovely mash and caramelised peaches and the gnocchi with vegetables and truffle oil was simply excellent.

Service was polite and discreet and I would happily return if in the area in the future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Very nice and good value lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Went here last week and had the two course for £10 lunch. Started with the chicory, bacon and blue cheese starter, this was very tasty. Partner had the italian tomato and avocado salad, also great. Mains where skate wing with cockles and veg, partner had tempura chicken. This was very nicely seasoned and tasty food and very good value, would recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Norfolk
“More people should know about this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had lunch with a friend here last week and we both agreed it was a lovely place with delicious food. We had the £10 two course meal with a glass of wine. The wine was crisp and dry just how I prefer it. We both choose the same food. The starter was chicory with smoked bacon and blue cheese and very good it was too. For mains we had hake with couscous and Mediterranean vegetables. The portion size was very generous for both courses. We also had a pot of tea which was only £1.75.
I found this place having had it recommended by another friend and I'm glad I have discovered it too.
The only downside was the lack of customers but August is apparently a quiet month. I'm sure that with such good reviews there will probably be fewer quiet times.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
rugeley
“Worst Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Went on a busy Saturday night and this place was two thirds empty. This should have been a warning sign! Starter of smoked salmon with cheese was tasty but small and expensive but up to this point OK despite there being no salt and pepper on table or staff to bring me any.
For mains I opted for liver. This was not what I expected and I didn't enjoy it. This was not the fault of the chef or restaurant, it just wasn't to my taste, however when I left most of it there was no query as to why. As I had had very little main course I opted for the cheeseboard as a dessert. There were 4 tiny biscuits, nowhere near enough for the cheese, a variety of cheeses ranging from nice to vile, a dinner knife to cut them with, nothing to eat the runny chutney with (the knife?) and no butter.
Then came what I consider the biggest insult. The bill was £34.20. I left £35 in cash on the table which the waitress collected and that was it. I was ignored. OK it's only 80p but surely this change and a receipt should have been bought back to me. I could then decide whether to leave a tip or not and how much. I sat for over 15 minutes as if invisible, they didn't even say goodnight as I left. I eat out twice a week on average and this must be in my top 3 worst ever experiences.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Why is this venue so under booked”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

St Benedicts is fantastic. The starters are on the small side but the main courses are of good quality and quantity. My calves liver was the best that I have eaten for a long time. My partner had the duck which was again cooked to perfection. Good wine list but not much choice in on the by the glass range. It was such a shame to see this place so quiet. We visited on a Thursday but in the hight of the season. Please Try this very good local restaurant. Good on price as well we had drinks and olives , starters, mains. And my partner had cheese course and desert, bottle of wine, desert wine and coffee came in at just over £100. Very good. Waitress and chef that nigh very good. Will go back again

Visited August 2013