“Friendly, comfortable and quiet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Norwich

You added Holiday Inn Express Norwich to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Norwich
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Norwich Sports Village | Drayton High Road, Norwich NR6 5DU, England (Formerly Norwich Sport Village Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Norwich
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Friendly, comfortable and quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

When you overcome the fact that you appear to be driving into a supermarket car park, which is actually shared with the hotel and sports facilities, you will find that, while this hotel does not look very interesting from the outside, it is a good place to stay. It was convenient for me as I was visiting the main Norwich hospital, which was only about 15 minutes drive away, even at 8am with the rush-hour in full flow. UEA, which is close to the hospital, would be a slightly shorter drive.

The front desk staff were friendly and efficient, immediately recognising my IHG Rewards membership which makes check-in very easy. Next morning, check-out was also quick and accurate. I would happily return to this hotel.

Although my room overlooked the car park, it was very quiet. The room was well prepared and immaculately clean, and the wifi was adequate.

I ate in the hotel's restaurant that evening. It is a rather clinical area but the food was OK and the service was friendly. When I placed my food order at the bar, I was warned that it may take half an hour to prepare the meal, which was helpful to know. Breakfast, which was included in the price, was a good mix of hot and cold dishes, was fresh and appetising.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear wakeupjames,

Thank you for your 4 star review and for sharing your experience online. We take all feedback seriously as this enables us to hear exactly how our guests feel about their stay with us and improve on any areas we may have overlooked.

From your review I am delighted we were a suitable choice of accommodation for you. I am particularly pleased you found our staff friendly and efficient, and your IHG membership was recognised. I will ensure they are made aware of your satisfaction.

I will also make our housekeeping aware of your comments regarding room cleanliness. We take great pride ensuring our rooms are cleaned to a high standard as we believe this is one of the most basic but essential requirements when offering accommodation to guests.

Thank you again for all your comments and I hope we can have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Good, clean, friendly hotel. Food good and staff professional. Location a little disappointing. A hotel for business and leisure stays. Limited access to other restaurants and asda right next door. Can bring takeaways in

• Stayed June 2014
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Kamilla T,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich to meet your accomodation needs.

I am pleased you found our hotel staff proffesional and food good in the hotel. I will ensure your comments are passed on to the staff as I'm sure they'll appreciate your kind comments. We attract many business and leisure guests due to our location on the Norwich Ring Road which boasts excellent transport links into Norwich City Centre and the surrounding towns. I'm sorry you felt the location slightly dissapointing but hope you were able to travel to your points of interest with ease.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future and thank you again for your stay with us.

Uxbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Holiday Inn Express, Norwich is typical of other HIG hotels. Well laid out, nice convivial atmosphere, attentive staff and reasonably comfortable rooms. Breakfast is complimentary and very adequate. The only complaint was that the A/C in our room was not working, and the room was therefore very warm. even during the night, making it a bit uncomfortable. However, an ideal place to stay if travelling from Norwich airport, or touring Norfolk Broads.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear terryb1941,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to leaving feedback online.

I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast we offer. I am sorry to read that the air condoning caused discomfort on your last night with us. Unfortunately the air conditioning was attended to immediately by an engineer, but the part required to fix the unit had to be shipped in. This is a rare occurrence and I hope you still trust our brand to provide the excellent accommodation we are renowned for.

Thank you again for your review and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I booked three rooms here for my family as it is convenient to visit my parents. The Hotel staff were very welcoming and helpful. The Hotel itself seems very clean and the Bar/Breakfast area is quite nice. The air-conditioning in my daughter's room was not working so reception gave her a fan. The beds were very small and uncomfortable and ours sagged a bit in the middle, but as it was only for one night it was bearable. There is a breakfast included in the room rate, which was quite nice. I would stay here again but not for more than one night at a time due to the beds.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear GlennCroc,

Thank you for your 3 star review left on Tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback from our guests and I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel.

I am delighted you found our staff efficient and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast we offer. Our team works very hard to ensure each guest has a pleasant experience with us and I'm sure they"ll appreciate you positive feedback.

I do apologise the air conditioning was not working in one of your rooms. We are aware of this problem and we are awaiting an important part to be shipped and fitted to resolve this. Ideally most problems such as this can be fixed immediately, it is unfortunate that on this occasion the problem was more complex and the parts required were not readily available from the engineer.

I am also sorry to hear you felt the mattress dipped on your bed. We use very high quality Hypnos mattresses to meet the brand standards of IHG so I will investigate your room as to what may have caused this.

It is great to read you enjoyed most part of your stay with us and you would come back in the future. Again I apologise for any problems that you may have experienced during this stay but I trust your next stay with us will exceed your expectations as we continuously work to improve the quality of accommodation we provide.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Stayed here for 2 days rooms were small but clean and had all the things you needed . Breakfast was nice and food was very nice and plenty of it . It was in good position to some shops and coffee shops . Would stay again

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear Judy H,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for leaving a review online.

It is great to read your positive comments and I'm most pleased we were in a suitable location for your requirements. We are lucky to be situated within walking distance of Asda and Virgin Active Health Club which offers a Costa Coffee within its premises. The city centre is also a short 15 minute drive away which offers excellent shopping facilities. I hope you were able to visit these during your stay.

Our complimentary Express Start Breakfast is in constant review along with our Dinner Menu to offer a good choice of food for our guests, so I am pleased you enjoyed what we had to offer.

Thank you once again for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

After over a week in the hotel all I can say is don't let this be your first choice unless your just sleeping there. The rooms are fine clean etc no problems there. Now it comes down to the service/ customer care there isn't any. Let's start from the top no draft beer for 4 days when it did turn up it was flat well it would be when you poor it from a height. The food can take anything from 30-50 mins to turn up and the breakfast is very limited but ok for being included. The staff can be a little rude with you please and thank you wouldn't be hard.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear Chrismonna,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich and for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am pleased you found our hotel clean and suitable for your requirements.

I am concerned about your comments regarding little customer service and rude staff. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service as many of our previous reviews have recognised. It is very unlike any member of our team to act in a rude nature and basic manners most definitely comes naturally so I will have to investigate why you felt this customer service wasn't received during your stay with us.

Please accept my apologies regarding a longer waiting time in the restaurant during your time with us. We will always work to provide meals within 20 minutes of an order being placed, however during peak times we may take a little longer and we will make guests aware of this at time of ordering. Please accept my apologies for this delay.

Our Express Start Breakfast meets the IHG Brand Standards and unfortunately we are unable to extend our breakfast offering. Although we cannot provide the same offering of a full service hotel, you will be pleased to know breakfast is completely free in any room rate and the items are continuously monitored to ensure they are of a high quality.

Once again, thank you for your recent stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

rustington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Very welcoming and efficient staff. Room was great and easy to get to. No bath - just a shower which is fine for a one night stay. An evening meal was available and the menu, whilst not extensive, certainly had variety. The help yourself breakfast was well set out and did the trick. The environs are not particularly great having to navigate through the foot and car traffic for both the Virgin Health Club and the ice skating rink. Two small issues for me 1) the ground floor room that I was in did not have any windows that actually opened. There was air-con so no problem with temp control but I just happen to like some fresh air. I understand it from a security perspective though as there was also a door which, although alarmed, cause me a few moments of angst and 2) there was no internal chain on the door. Probably because the door is one of those electronic key opening ones, there is no need but I would have felt a little safer just being able to put a chain across (both) doors!

Room Tip: Being a Holiday Inn - all the rooms are good. The ground floor rooms are fine with no external noise...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear htur61,

Thank you for your positive comments and for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich to meet your accommodation needs for your stay in Norwich.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly pleased that you found the breakfast selection of a good variety. Our evening meals are in constant review to ensure a variety of products are available and I will pass these comments onto our food and beverage champion for review.

I'm sorry to read you could not find the chain on your bedroom door. Please be assured we do have chains for the comfort and safety of our guests, but as a newly designed hotel, these are situated in the door panel itself and activated by a rocker switch above the door handle. Please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff if you need assistance with this.

I do hope we can have the pleasure in welcoming you back soon and thank you once again for your review.

Guest Service Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Norwich? Share your experiences!