“An identity crisis” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 79 Norwich B&B and Inns
London, UK
“An identity crisis”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

After viewing and booking through the website, we were expecting something more than what we found. Although the hotel was spotlessly clean, conveniently located and is a beautiful building from the outside, we were very disappointed with our room. Perhaps it was an unlucky draw, but we were given room 8, which is next to the front door, sandwiched between the reception and dining room, and the car park is immediately outside the window. As such, it was very noisy and we did not have a restful stay.

The room was relatively large but was crammed with furniture which made the room feel very busy and a lot like a store-room. Breakfast was a bit disappointing - the fresh coffee was cold and and the food in the bain-marie wasn't that hot either.

This had the potential to be a great stay but we found it disappointing.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

This has to rate as one of the best hotels/guest houses I have stayed in. Clean, modern, stylish decor and overall a very pleasant stay. The free wireless broad band was a welcome surprise.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Swiss Romand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

I stayed at this b&b for 3 nights. I had requested a quiet non smoking single room with en-suite facilities which is exactly what I received. The room was well equipped with the decor being both recent and modern. Due to the sloping ceiling in the bathroom it was not possible to have a shower standing up.Although I am quite tall this did not bother me too much. The only window in the room was a skylight which I opened only very slightly due to the possible entry of rain. The size of the room was ample for one person. The b&b is well situated with regard to city access. It takes only 15 minutes or so on foot to the center of town. The management team were very hospitable and helpful. I particularly appreciated the superb breakfast with the eggs being freshly prepared as the guests arrived for breakfast. All in all I would have no hesitation in recommending this delightful place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Tipperary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

This is a nice guest house. It is owned by a chain so is decorated in a standardised fashion and so lacks some character. Location is good ebing close to the city centre - less than a mile. The rooms are clean, showers excellent, bedding is of a good quality, beds are firm and of a good quality. The rooms in the main section seem a little bigger than the extension but all are fine. The showers were excellent - strong and warm - plenty of water, which is important as this is really like a small hotel with 18 rooms.

Breakfast was very good, especially the cooked version, although can see it would be a little limited for vegetarians as mentioned in a previous review. Nonetheless there was fresh fruit, although the canned prunes and fruit salad is unlikely to be to everyone's taste.

When we stayed there were substitute managers in charge, Barbara and Nigel Carter. They were excellent and worked hard to create a personalised atmosphere and provided excellent service. The first day we asked if there were any tea pots as I like a lot of tea and making it cup by cup was a little chore. Was informed there were none but by the next day Barbara had acquired one and presented it to me with a flourish and a smile, full of tea. It was a lovely touch. Pity they are only there for two weeks. Overall efficient and good experience in a standardised good quality guest house.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

A spotlessly clean and quite contemporary, but totally decorated in furniture from a certain Scandinavian Furniture Company with big blue warehouses, largely on the outskirts of major city. This made for quite an impersonal feel, which is not to our personal taste. The room was comfortable with lots of nice touches (caramels on pillows and such like), but the bed was very hard.

Breakfast was very standard - no little touches like flowers on tables, or a slightly varied menu. Hot food was largely not suitable for vegetarians. Good to have internet access - a real plus point, along with good parking facilities.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
King's Lynn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I only stayed here for one night but was very impressed. We chose this guest house as we had seen it on various trips to Norwich and after reading the excellent reviews booked it on-line which was easy and at a very reasonable rate. The owners are very welcoming, friendly and helpful. My room (No 4) was very clean, modern, comfortable and spacious (although there was only me staying in it on this occasion). The bed was very comfortable and the guest house was quiet so had a good nights sleep. Breakfast was a self-serve buffet which was very nice, good food and a very relaxed atmosphere. I would definitely stay here again, I really liked the feel of the place.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

Looking for a place to stay overnight prior to an interview with UEA Medical School, I picked this guest house from a list I was provided with, due to its price.

I contacted them directly via phone and was greeted by the gentleman that runs it, he was extremely helpful and also informed me that it was only a five minute drive to the university. So with this in mind I booked.

I arrived around 9.30 in the evening and was welcomed in by the gentleman, shown my room and everything. It was all very clean and he was extremely obliging. I was pleased to see that they had free wireless (for which I was exceptionally grateful). They also had freeview and a snazzy little tv. The room was spacious enough for me and had everything I needed (including my favourite biscuits!). I shared a shower room, but was more than happy with that given the price.

I found the bed to be exceptionally comfortable and slept very well. With the possible exception of the room above me, either using the shower/toilet at 3am, but in fairness that was not the guesthouse's fault, but it was very loud in my room. But the bed was so comfortable, I fell asleep again within minutes. I was also exceptionally pleased with the white fluffy bathrobe they provided.

The breakfast was plentiful and of a very substantial fare, with lots of variety. So overrall I would highly recommend this guest house. The staff are all very accomodating and extremely helpful. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would suggest that if any prospective students for UEA should look at this guest house, given the facilities and the other features it offers.

And if the staff and owners read this, thank you very much for the stay!

• Liked — The friendly and helpful staff
  • Disliked — Water was noisy overhead
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wensum Guest House? Share your experiences!