“A little gem...” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Eclectic
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Reading Rooms is a family-run Gourmet Cafe committed to providing delicious food and drink. At our cafe in Nelson Street you will always be sure of a warm welcome. We pride ourselves on great service, great food and a fabulous atmosphere. We will always endeavor to supply local, free-range food wherever possible. Try our Norfolk sausages made exclusively for us less than a quarter of a mile away, that really is local! Our cakes are all made on the premises - try our Croissant Bread Pudding with Whiskey and White Chocolate or our handmade Beetroot and Dark Chocolate Ice Cream. Call to check what vegetarian, gluten free and lactose free dishes are being served on the day. Thank you to all our Tripadvisor reviewers
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A little gem...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Here is an establishment that does a fantastic amount to put a smile on your face. On one of the hottest days of the year I decided a trip to Norwich was necessary and I wanted to start the day with a good breakfast. Quick look at Tripadvisor and The Reading Room seemed like a good option. Easy to find with the SatNav. Easy to park in the surrounding streets. Great service and some of the nicest food and drink I've been subjected to in a long while, at very reasonable prices.
I don't think many will disagree with me when I say that it's becoming increasingly hard to find an establishment that doesn't cut every imaginable corner in search of higher profits and in doing so, end up offering such mediocrity that a little piece of you dies inside when you pay the bill. This is NOT one of those places! This is a restaurant that renews your faith in small business owners: the kind that do things their way.
I had the Gourmet Breakfast (light option) with a pot of Egyptian Tea. I cannot rave enough about how we were treated and how much love and care goes in to the food. I'll definitely be back whenever in the area and anyone reading this should try The Reading Room, if for no other reason than see how it should be done.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
pgloverdarke, Owner at The Reading Rooms, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Your review is much appreciated.

“Delightful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

What a delightful way to while away a few hours.
Sampling various things off the menu on a number of occasions, their breakfast left both me and my friend entirely replete, and their steak sandwich always hits the spot.
What a relief to find a place which can supply an array of properly decent coffee, soya and all catered for.
So glad to find a new home from home!
Warm friendly atmosphere, with a sense of European hospitality

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thanks
“nice local cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had breakfast in a sunny day just at the front outside of the reading rooms. The food was tasty and the service friendly. I did not find it exceptional and I was a little bit put off by the absence of freshly squeezed juices in the menu. I'd easily go back though as it looks like a promising place.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Perhaps you should come in on a day when you are in a better mood.
“Refreshing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

It's always good to go to the Reading Rooms - the service there is refreshingly friendly which can be unusual for a UK restaurant. They don't make you feel like you disturbed their day by showing up, the food is well priced, excellently cooked and presented, and the staff seem to actually be passionate about food and serving people. Please support them, and help me to insist they play some nice light jazz and not the radio - my only criticism.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Lovely cafe, options to suit most dietary requirements”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I happened to stumble upon this place when I was looking for somewhere to sit and work for a few hours. What a treat! As a vegetarian, I often feel undercatered for, but The Reading Rooms had a really nice range of veggie options (I think a number of the dishes could easily be veganised, too), and I love that they serve the breakfast dishes all day long. I had the full veggie breakfast and it was delicious! Halloumi, a beetroot patty ("vegetarian black pudding"), toast, beans, tomato, portabello mushroom, and eggs: very filling and all cooked perfectly. Also, as an American, I love spicy food, so I asked for Tabasco; they didn't have any, but they did bring me homemade sweet chilli sauce, which was great with the dish. After a couple of hours of working (note that they didn't mind me sitting there working with just a pot of tea, using their free wifi), I was peckish again, and had their really wonderful beetroot and dark chocolate ice cream (and I'm actually not a huge fan of ice cream). It was great -- my only complaint was that it came with marshmallows and they're not usually vegetarian; if I'd realised they were included I would have asked them to leave the marshmallows off.
I emailed my mother in the US while I was sitting there eating in order to say I have to take her there when she next comes to visit. That's how good the food is! The atmosphere was relaxed and calm, and the owner and chef were friendly, chatty guys.
All in all, a great little cafe in Norwich!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere