“All fur Coat but no knickers” 3 of 5 stars

The William IV
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   33 Quebec Road, Norwich NR1 4AU, England   |
Ranked #46 of 79 Norwich B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“All fur Coat but no knickers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband and I visited the pub on Friday, 13 December for his works Christmas meal. the staff's standard were sloppy, the food decidedly average and the service poor. There were roughly 30 of us and I felt they had bitten off more than they could chew. We were supposed to dine at 8PM but they did not start serving starters till gone 10 past. My pâté and toast starter was well presented, the pâté was delicious and they did not stint on the butter but my toast was cold and soggy. Not only were we served painfully slowly (I think I finally got mine at 8:20,) but I noticed the server lick his fingers and rub his nose then continue serving without washing his hands. The carvery main course was a disappointing let down. The website promised 5 vegetables and pigs in blankets but there were only 4 vegetables and not to a pig or a blanket in sight. I had to ask for roast potatoes as they had run out and when the clearly very flustered lady serving brought them out they were clearly frozed packet ones. We were then told please only take 2 as this is all we have. The yourkshire puddings were suspiciously uniform leaving me to believe they were also frozen packet ones and when they were replenished the server picked up the last one on the previous tray with her fingers! Dissapointingly the pork had no crackling with it and was so tough it was like chewing shoe leather and the turkey was as dry as s sheet of paper. However on the plus side the cauliflower cheese was best I've ever tasted an the gravy was lovely. When it came to desert, although we had pre-ordered we were not asked whether we would like our pudding with cream, custard or ice cream so it was decided that the solution to this was for the organising member of our party to shout down the table and we then had to shout our order back, by which time it out it was well gone 9. When puddings finally arrived there was yet more shouting up and down the table to match people with the right deserts. When my treacle pudding finally arrived the custard was barely lukewarm whilst the extreemly stodgy and underwhelming pudding was so hot it nearly stripped the off my mouth! By the Time we finished eating it was 9:55 so we had to leave almost instantly as wehad to get home to relieve our babysitter. Taking the best part of 2 hours to serve a party of people who would had preordered their food, 1 course of which was a carvery, in my opinion it totally unacceptable. In conclusion somebody ought to teach the management that it is better to do 1 thing well than 10 things badly, also the staff clearly need training on hygiene standards.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

A warm welcome cozy and comfortable. Friendly, helpful staff...lovely decor. The food was good and such good value! .The room was nice, clean and had everything. If I had a chance to visiting Norwich again...I would stay there again ...The William IV :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Great Cornard, Suffolk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

A warm welcome and friendly, helpful staff. Clean rooms and lovely decor. The food was excellent and such good value! I would definitely recommend The William IV to all my friends and would stay there again with no hesitation if I was ever visiting Norwich again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Benfleet
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed at here whilst travelling for work therefore price was a factor for choosing this guest house The staff were very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was nice and had everything I needed. It was great value for money. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife and I just celebrated our Thirty Fifth wedding annirversary with our family and close friends.
There were thirty six of us including thirteen children.
We all had a lovely meal which was a carvery with a starter and sweet, nothing was too much trouble for them.
When we got there, we notice that there was only thirty three places laid out, but this was soon recrtified in minutes, once we informed the bar staff.
we all had a good laugh with the gents serving the food, trying to find out who ordered what etc. the lady carving the meat was also very accomdataing.
Every body commented on how well cooked the meat was, whichever one that had, me being greedy had a piece of each, Turkey, Pork and Beef.
The thing I liked also, was for sixpounds you got two large jugs of orange and blackcurrent squash and several plastic cups for the children, these were then replenished once they becamed empty.
As you know, you can spend a small fortune on soft drinks in a pub these days for the children.

We also had a Karaoke/Disco which also went down very well with everybody including the children, getting a chance to sing and have fun.
All in all, it was a great night had by everyone there.
I would like to thank all the staff at William IV for putting in the hard work and preparation for making it so.
Mr D Hales

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I booked a double and a single room well in advance of a trip to Norwich. I found that the person who took the booking got my name wrong, even though it was on the cheque I sent, my email address, even though I emailed them. Consequently when we turned up for the 4 night break we had booked, there was no room for us at the Inn, we had been double booked. The lame excuse was they had tried to contact us. With nowhere to stay, we were forced into trailing the streets of Norwich. We do not have a good word to say about our experience at The William IV or of Mr & Mrs Stolady

Room Tip: Not able to give a tip
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
North Walsham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

my husband had a groupon voucher for x2 burger meals and drinks, have to say that the burgers were lovely, homemade nice thick and juicy came with salad, chips and onion rings. Staff very welcoming and friendly, lovely outdoor seating area which is where we sat to have our lunch. I would definately recommend to friends and family as not far from norwich city centre, lovely atmosphere and great food what more could you ask for !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The William IV? Share your experiences!